How Lane Kiffen will be as Bama OC

AUbritt

There's a lot of detail, including diagrams and film, so there's no point posting the article here. But here's the conclusion:

Will it work?

Kiffin has already used up several of his nine lives, but he'll be less likely to get another one if he fails to leverage Saban's accumulated talent into big wins against Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU. We all know that Saban won't catch the blame.

LINK

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best guess is that Kiffin is a better OC than he is a HC kinda like CEJ with being a DC. I think as long as he stays within the boundaries that Nick Nack keeps his other coaches in, he'll do fine. CLK IMO is a pompous a$$ but I don't think he is a stupid pompous a$$. If he ever wants to be a HC again I think he'll straighten himself out. Time will tell...

Ya, I'm not buying the Lane Kiffin is gonna fall flat on his face at Alabama as a OC bit. He might, and I will laugh, but I don't think its gonna happen. Think the real issue will be can he and Saban get along in a manner that doesn't hurt them professionally.

Saban is a franchise. He has his business model, he brings coaches in, gives them the employee handbook, shows them how to execute it, then resumes his role as CEO. He has proven that his plan works. If Kiffin screws this up, he is definitely an idiot.

His mouth is not a good fit for Bama. We might see a press machine in overdrive; if the wheels don't align, and Nick needs a scape goat to toss under the bus.

His mouth is not a good fit for Bama. We might see a press machine in overdrive; if the wheels don't align, and Nick needs a scape goat to toss under the bus.

Agree. If kiffy does not get to "run" the offense and cns over-rules his calls on the sidelines, I see confrontation. lk's ego is just big enough to get in his way with nicky.

I don't think he is all that great of an offensive mind. Now he will be running what Nick wants him to run. Let's see how well he can execute that and how well he can behave himself. I think he will toe the line when it comes to not being an idiot and straying outside the boundaries that Saban has laid down for him. It boils down to just how good he actually is at coaching. It will be interesting to watch.

My best guess is that Kiffin is a better OC than he is a HC kinda like CEJ with being a DC. I think as long as he stays within the boundaries that Nick Nack keeps his other coaches in, he'll do fine. CLK IMO is a pompous a$$ but I don't think he is a stupid pompous a$$. If he ever wants to be a HC again I think he'll straighten himself out. Time will tell...

As many oportunities as he's had, I think if he were going to straighten himself out he would have by now. Still as an assistant he could be better than as a NC.

His a righteous dude

I still love that old photograph and would love to be able to step into it and spend an afternoon walking around the old campus. Thanks for keeping it so we can wander about in it.

There are still some questions about Nick's hiring of Kiffen tht I've yet to hear answered to my satisfaction. I probably will never hear a good answer.

Why, for example, did Saban fire Nuss in the first place? It seems that their O was doing fine. It was their D that needed an upgrade, particularly against up temop offenses. I guess Smart is sacrosanct up there, but that again makes me wonder why? What's so special about Smart?

Were the big moneied people at t'town so upset over losing to Auburn and OK that they demanded someone get the ax? Again, if so then why not Smart?

Did Nick intentionally seek out someone to hire that he knew was already detested by nearly everyone, opponents and allies of bama alike? Did he intentionally bring in someone he was already preparing tothrow under the bus should he still not be able to handle Malzahn's team?

I think a 2nd loss in a row to Auburn right now would be unsettling for Saban and his 'dynasty'. In the past a 2nd loss in a row wouldn't have been too big a deal, but they've built up such a halo around him now that it would. But it wouldn't be terminal by any means. A 3rd loss, though, would. Did Saban bring in someone he is already planning of blaming for the cracked feet of his golden dynasty?

Certainly if he just wanted someone who would run his O as he liked and would do as he was told and stay out of the limelight, there were plenty of other, better, people to chose from than Lane Kiffen.

You are forgetting that saban doesn't let his assistants speak publicly very often if ever. IMO, Kiffen will be judged solely off the results of the offense. I doubt we hear much from him at all during the season

You are forgetting that saban doesn't let his assistants speak publicly very often if ever. IMO, Kiffen will be judged solely off the results of the offense. I doubt we hear much from him at all during the season

I also believe that Kiffin (sorry for the misspelling in the title of the thread -- I can't seem to fix it now) will be up in the press box on game days -- so that rules out the possibility of entertaining sideline antics.

One hope is that Kiffin violates the policies laid out by Saban. That would be priceless in and of itself.

I do think this year will be interesting for them. They have gobs of talent, especially at the skill positions on O (WR and RB). Do they have the OL to protect Coker and open holes for their RBs? On paper, maybe. Will be interesting to see the performance on the field.

Kiffin's #1 asset and the reason he was hired is that he is one hell of a recruiter. Saban's formula for success is to simply have better players than everyone else. Kiffin is probably a decent coach but he really shines as a recruiter period.

Kiffin's #1 asset and the reason he was hired is that he is one hell of a recruiter. Saban's formula for success is to simply have better players than everyone else. Kiffin is probably a decent coach but he really shines as a recruiter period.

I keep seeing this talked about when referencing kiffin. However, it doesn't add up that he would be hired at uat because of his recruiting. Saban has been getting the players he wants for years WITHOUT kiffin's help. We can discuss the means to how he's getting those recruits in another thread (cash, cars, kitchens, fishing trips) all thanks to the REC. But the fact remains is he was and is getting them (WITHOUT KIFFIN). I don't see how kiffin is going to improve that...It just doesn't add up.

You may be right. Perhaps he's going to reshape his offense as well. I'm doubtful, But... the fact remains that Saban knows that recruiting is the key to his success. Personally I think it will ultimately be a Train wreck. It is a risky maneuver any way you slice it and really show how nervous Saban is about AU. It almost strikes me as desperation. If it works well I'll tip my hat and admit my ignorance.

I also believe that Kiffin (sorry for the misspelling in the title of the thread -- I can't seem to fix it now) will be up in the press box on game days -- so that rules out the possibility of entertaining sideline antics.

One hope is that Kiffin violates the policies laid out by Saban. That would be priceless in and of itself.

I do think this year will be interesting for them. They have gobs of talent, especially at the skill positions on O (WR and RB). Do they have the OL to protect Coker and open holes for their RBs? On paper, maybe. Will be interesting to see the performance on the field.

Yep, what I meant (trying)... just wondering if the mouth will stay shut, if the faithful become as pointed, as they often seems to be.

I think the recruitment of Barnett is enough evidence to show that Nicky is willing to let Kiffin loose a bit. They didn't recruit that kid to sit in the pocket and throw slants. Saban might just be smart enough to realize that as long as Malzahn is at AU, UAT is going to have to score TDs to win.

I think saban has hired his replacement. Think about it, saban's system is easy to win with, and kiffen will look like an offensive genius in this scheme. The turd fans will fall for it because saban will say so. At least this what I hope happens. ;D

I keep seeing this talked about when referencing kiffin. However, it doesn't add up that he would be hired at uat because of his recruiting. Saban has been getting the players he wants for years WITHOUT kiffin's help. We can discuss the means to how he's getting those recruits in another thread (cash, cars, kitchens, fishing trips) all thanks to the REC. But the fact remains is he was and is getting them (WITHOUT KIFFIN). I don't see how kiffin is going to improve that...It just doesn't add up.

This^^

Plus, Kiffin left Tennessee in hot water with the NCAA because of some of his recruiting tactics and/or screw ups. Also, Kiffin was on the USC offensive staff in 2004--although he didn't coach Reggie Bush's position that year, he was around when that cheating was going on. With that history I was surprised to see Saban touch him, given the many allegations that Bama has weathered in the press recently. I would call it "waving a red flag in front of the NCAA bull" somewhere else, but in Tuscaloosa, it's more like "further evidence that the bull ignores crimson!"

Of course, I still like to think Kiffin's hiring was to get his photogenic wife in the stands during games. Since Katherine Webb left with A.J., Nicky needed new camera fodder to draw attention away from his bonehead calls on the field and hissy fits on the sideline. :big:

Personally, I don't see a whole lot of evidence pointing to him being a good OC. Yes, he was a co-OC at USC when they were dominant; however, hasn't it been said that Steve Sark. was the one calling the plays? And in their respective coaching careers, wasn't it Sark who was more successful than LK, despite Kiffin having the obvious advantage of being at USC rather than UW?

IMO, if Bama is going to fall flat on their face any year, it will be this offense, this year. LK is cancerous to a football team, and that offense just lost its leader in AJ. Kiffin may run a vanilla offense to try and keep in Sabans good graces, but with a new QB who has not played a meaningful down since HS, a questionable OL, and a new OC who IMO is unproven, this could (emphasis on could) spell disaster for UA.

It's been pointed out that Kiffen runs his offense with a script. He is not known as a coach that has the play calling capability to adapt to what type of look a defense gives him. This is where Saban is going to have a issue...IMO.

It's been pointed out that Kiffen runs his offense with a script. He is not known as a coach that has the play calling capability to adapt to what type of look a defense gives him. This is where Saban is going to have a issue...IMO.

That sounds like Saban's play calling.

I do not see Kiffen as being a good OC for bammer. I honestly think he is nothing better than average at best. Saban has made a fatal error in hiring Kiffen and this will be the beginning of the end for the Saban era at bammer.

Archived