What might the IRS and 'friends' be so concerned about being discovered?

AUisAll

Some may not like the source,but here is a good comparison of Operations Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious. Yes there is a partisan slant but the facts are there. http://www.theblaze....-wide-receiver/

It does indeed have a partisan slant, as it erroneously states that tracking was actually performed. The reality is that it was discussed, but it was not followed up on. In other words (per the OIG), tracking devices were never installed. Here is a .pdf from the OIG's office if you would like to read the actual details (it covers both operations):

http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/2012/s1209.pdf

You guys were last claiming willful destruction of hard drives. Now what's the allegation?

If the HD has been destroyed/shredded that does sound like willful destruction doesn't it?

If the HD has been destroyed/shredded that does sound like willful destruction doesn't it?

There are entirely too many relevant details that we do not have, and I do not trust media writers and talking heads to present them to me accurately anyway. For example, hard drives crash, and for a variety of reasons. There are bad batches of hard drives that fail prematurely (before their expected MTBF). In tech circles, a frequent debate is over which manufacturer tends to have more failures, with my own experience leaning toward Seagate and Hitachi. I find a lot of Seagate and Hitachi drives in HP and Dell workstations. More importantly, I cannot tell you how many people I encounter that refer to their entire desktop chassis as their "hard drive". A hard drive "crash" in this case could be something as simple as the OS deciding to take a dump, thus requiring it to be reloaded (typically via system image). Every time I replace a failed hard drive, or replace a workstation, I remove the hard drive and destroy it.

We do not know what the IRS considers to be the lifecycle of their workstations, or how long the ones in question have been in service. We do not know how many previous or subsequent users they have had, or whether they were reloaded before each subsequent user. It is not standard practice to backup an entire building's workstations. This is the reason us IT folk provide network resources that reside on servers which are backed up. Some use document redirection to also backup documents and app data, but it is not necessarily a standard. We do not know how their Exchange servers and corresponding Outlook clients are configured. We do not have the details of their retention policy for backups, e-mails, and workstation data (if any). In other words, we do not have enough technical information right now to be making any conclusions about cover ups or conspiracies to do so. There are currently too many unknowns to be doing anything better than guessing.

All that said, I do not believe the IRS to be innocent of abuse. Given the history of using the IRS for political abuse, I find their guilt to be basically a logical conclusion.

I understand all of that and it doesn't change the fact that if someone places a hard drive into a shredder it is willful destruction. You can debate whether or not that person was trying to hide something or whatever.

I understand all of that and it doesn't change the fact that if someone places a hard drive into a shredder it is willful destruction. You can debate whether or not that person was trying to hide something or whatever.

Shredder? I usually destroy them with a drill press.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+shredder&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivnsp&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=mHbRU9HsFvDJsQTOz4K4Aw&ved=0CH4Qsxg

I doubt an organization with over 100,000 employees will employ the "drill" method for destroying Hard Drives.

Actually I used that term because somewhere someone said the HD had been shredded. They must of used a Ninja commercial blender. :)

I doubt an organization with over 100,000 employees will employ the "drill" method for destroying Hard Drives.

Gotcha. At work I'm only responsible for destroying the HDDs out of the central station for the physiological monitors. They fail at a rate of about one every two weeks. Our IT department destroys more, though I don't know how they go about doing it.

Gotcha. At work I'm only responsible for destroying the HDDs out of the central station for the physiological monitors. They fail at a rate of about one every two weeks. Our IT department destroys more, though I don't know how they go about doing it.

Some use shredders like AUUSN linked, which are smaller and dedicated versions of industrial shredders. Others (including us) use hard drive degaussers.

Archived