Officer who pulled over Nick Marshall fired

WarEagle1983

Not sure if this means anything or not, honestly.

agree....did not seem to have anything to do with Nick's problem since there were apparently two officers in the car that pulled Nick.

And as for Nick, these small Georgia towns are notorious speed traps, even today I hear. IMO the guy who should lose his job is whoever could not wait to run to the media and let them know a "celebrity" had been pulled in Reynolds. Not excusing NM but the media circus *such as it was) need not have happened. Guess that's what passes for "big news" in a small town like Reynolds.

Marshall was stopped for a window tint violation, not speeding. The question I have is, what is a "speed trap"? Is it a stretch of road that has a large net above it to catch unsuspecting motorists? Or is it simply a place where the municipality enforces the speed limit and those who violate that limit refer to it as a "trap" in an attempt to mitigate themselves from the responsibility of said violation? I've never heard the term"speed trap" logically defined.

A speed trap exists wherever traffic enforcement is focused on extracting revenue from drivers instead of improving safety, made possible by speed limits posted below the prevailing flow of traffic.

There are several small towns along US 280 between Birmingham and Auburn where the city police will stop you for going over the speed limit. In one case the speed limit drops to different levels within the city limits and you have to watch carefully for the exact posted speed limit as it changes from 65 to 55 to 45 and back to 55 within a mile inside that city. That city is built up along US 280 and safety is a valid reason to strictly enforce speed limits.

Another town does not even change the state limit of 65 miles an hour, but they extended their city limits to include the new road when the new road bypassed their city several years ago. There are no businesses or houses along the new US 280 stretch that is in their city limits, but they enforce the speed limit and hand out tickets. There are many Auburn students and football fans caught.

Another tip off that it may be trap is if they enforce the traffic laws for revenue, but do not respond to traffic accidents.

Marshall was stopped for a window tint violation, not speeding. The question I have is, what is a "speed trap"? Is it a stretch of road that has a large net above it to catch unsuspecting motorists? Or is it simply a place where the municipality enforces the speed limit and those who violate that limit refer to it as a "trap" in an attempt to mitigate themselves from the responsibility of said violation? I've never heard the term"speed trap" logically defined.

In Georgia, we consider a "speed trap" to be any of the small towns along highways where the local constabulary consists of little more than a traffic cop or two that exist primarily for the purpose of extorting money from people passing through. They are frequently in violation of state law in this process as the degree by which the speed limit is lowered for these small towns is usually arbitrary (rather than the legal guidelines of traffic surveys), their perch is usually closer to the reduction of speed limit sign than is legally allowed, or the degree of speeding is not within the range they are permitted to write tickets for (not 11 miles per hour or over). Travelers rarely have the ability to return a month later or so to fight the charge, so the legality of these practices goes uncontested for quite some time. Several of these towns have had their radar permits pulled as a result. This type of town is also often the kind of town that pulls people over for things like window tint. Poulan, between Albany and Tifton, is a fantastic example of this.

agree....did not seem to have anything to do with Nick's problem since there were apparently two officers in the car that pulled Nick.

And as for Nick, these small Georgia towns are notorious speed traps, even today I hear. IMO the guy who should lose his job is whoever could not wait to run to the media and let them know a "celebrity" had been pulled in Reynolds. Not excusing NM but the media circus *such as it was) need not have happened. Guess that's what passes for "big news" in a small town like Reynolds.

A speed trap exists wherever traffic enforcement is focused on extracting revenue from drivers instead of improving safety, made possible by speed limits posted below the prevailing flow of traffic.

There are several small towns along US 280 between Birmingham and Auburn where the city police will stop you for going over the speed limit. In one case the speed limit drops to different levels within the city limits and you have to watch carefully for the exact posted speed limit as it changes from 65 to 55 to 45 and back to 55 within a mile inside that city. That city is built up along US 280 and safety is a valid reason to strictly enforce speed limits.

Another town does not even change the state limit of 65 miles an hour, but they extended their city limits to include the new road when the new road bypassed their city several years ago. There are no businesses or houses along the new US 280 stretch that is in their city limits, but they enforce the speed limit and hand out tickets. There are many Auburn students and football fans caught.

Another tip off that it may be trap is if they enforce the traffic laws for revenue, but do not respond to traffic accidents.

However, if you are traveling the speed LIMIT or below, then there is no legal stop for speeding. You were referring to harpersville on Hwy 280 that had the numerous changes. I went through there alot while I was a student at AUburn. I wasn't pulled over once. It seems the prevailing argument about "speed traps" is it's a way of insulting or belittling police officers who enforce traffic codes i.e. speed LIMIT.

However, if you are traveling the speed LIMIT or below, then there is no legal stop for speeding. You were referring to harpersville on Hwy 280 that had the numerous changes. I went through there alot while I was a student at AUburn. I wasn't pulled over once. It seems the prevailing argument about "speed traps" is it's a way of insulting or belittling police officers who enforce traffic codes i.e. speed LIMIT.

I was not talking about Harpersville running speed traps or insulting or belittling the police. Harpersville actually does a good job of positioning the patrol cars to warn drivers.

When the police are ordered out by the elected city politicians into a annexed rural area with a major highway just to collect fine revenue, that becomes a speed trap.

http://exchange.aaa.com/safety/roadway-safety/speeding/

AAA includes information about strict traffic enforcement areas and traffic traps in routing information available at member offices or via AAA’s website.

A strict enforcement area is where traffic laws are strictly enforced for safety reasons. No censure is implied, nor is it intended to be derogatory in any way. AAA’s purpose in designating such an area is simply to alert members and the traveling public. Examples:

• Speeding citations issued routinely for speeds of less than 8 mph above the posted speed limit.
  • Higher-than-average number of citations.
  • An announcement by local authorities that an area has been targeted due to documented safety issues such as number of crashes or speeding problems.

A traffic trap is a location used to entrap unsuspecting motorists – especially strangers – or where strict enforcement practices are followed primarily for revenue generation, rather than improving safety. AAA’s purpose is to warn motorists of a potential abuse of enforcement powers and unjust abridgment of motorists’ rights. Examples:

• Improperly timed traffic signals.
  • Sudden, unannounced reductions in posted speed limits.
  • Obscured or hidden signs.
  • Poorly marked school zones.

AAA notifies an area’s state and local authorities and U.S. representatives and senators of its designations and performs periodic evaluations to determine whether these designations should remain in effect.

And with GPS technology it gets worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/apr/28/tomtom-satnav-data-police-speed-traps

Dutch drivers might have wondered how it was that speed traps were always in just the right place to catch speeders. It turned out to be simple enough: if they owned a TomTom, their in-car satnav was spying on them, and the aggregated data about cars' speed was being sold via the government to the police – who used it to set the traps.

The company, which is Europe's largest satnav manufacturer, was forced this week into an embarrassing apology as the revelation emerged alongside its first-quarter financial earnings, which showed weak demand and let it to forecast growing sales from "service revenues" – including, it said, selling data to governments.

In a public apology (repeated

), TomTom's chief executive Harold Goddijn said the company sold the anonymous data believing it would be used to improve safety or relieve traffic bottlenecks.

"We never foresaw this kind of use and many of our clients are not happy about it," he wrote, and promised licensing agreements would "prevent this type of use in the future."

Count me in the crowd that this has nothing to do with what happened to NM. Sorry, but bringing dirt about one of the arresting police officers, smacks of the fans from the school on the west side of the state.

Why do people see the need to constantly rehash the same stuff over and over again. The thread had NOTHING to do with Nick Marshall, only that one of the officers at his stop was fired. This thread had really good intentions, unfortunately, the masses can't seem to let go and move on.

Archived