AU home & home vs Clemson

keesler

Bammer gets USC. UGA gets Notre Dame. We get FRIGGIN CLEMSON! Get real! When is our administration going to get the message that, if we want to be a national brand, we need to set the sights a little higher than Clemson and Ga Tech? If we win it doesn't mean much nationally. However, if we lose, there goes the season. I thought with all the positive developments over the past year maybe, just maybe, we were going to do something grand that the fans could get excited about. This is like a kick in the gut!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bama playing USC, Penn State. LSU playing Wisconsin, UCLA. Ole Miss played Texas. UGA playing ND.

We get Clemson...................... again.

Some of you seem to be implying that Clemson isn't a "tough" OOC opponent. Do you not remember the series we just played with them? Oh, and do you not realize we have to play at Georgia and Alabama every other year from now on?

That said, I am sick of playing Clemson. I really wanted to play a team out west like Colorado or Cal--a good trip and an unfamiliar but not very difficult opponent.

This series in Auburn territory......good place to play our OOC games in my view. Lots of AU alums and prospects can easily see these games....and IMO, there is absolutely nothing to gain by going to Columbus. Ohio or Ann Arbor or wherever for a regular season game.

And please people,,,,,,just because Bama or LSU does it ....that's not necessarily an endorsement as a great idea. I just can't buy this idea that playing one of the over the hill Big Ten teams does anything to enhance Auburn's reputation.

Except that nationally it does a ton to get out of your region and play those schools, most of which have larger alumni bases than us. Perception is reality, and the perception is that we don't like to go too far very often to play non-conference games. Bama and LSU get a lot of credit for scheduling USC, Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, etc because it shows that they are willing to play just about anyone. Plus those name brands bring added exposure.

Really disappointed in this. Nothing for us to gain with these games.

Disagree....we win and it's usually over a top 25 team.....and as for 2004, I'm surprised that anyone still believes that BS about the Citadel keeping us out of #1. Media wanted USC and the Citadel game was just a convenient excuse..though I would not put Clemson and Citadel in the same category. And if you are tired of meaningless games, maybe MSU should be dropped....at least we get some credit beating Clemson...but who outside the SEC has any respect for MSU for example?

That's the point though - we have no choice in playing MSU. The AU Administration had choices and chose a team that we will have played 6 times in 10 years. When given a choice, explore your many options and get freaking creative.

This game will get no exposure when coupled with other marquee games that day.

September 3, 2016

Clemson at Auburn

Alabama vs USC

LSU vs Wisconsin

UCLA at TAMU

Ariz. vs BYU

ND at Texas

Wow, I didn't realize all those other games are the same day. Only way we get any proper exposure is to move the game to Thursday or Labor Day night (like we did at USC in 2002).

Some of you seem to be implying that Clemson isn't a "tough" OOC opponent. Do you not remember the series we just played with them? Oh, and do you not realize we have to play at Georgia and Alabama every other year from now on?

That said, I am sick of playing Clemson. I really wanted to play a team out west like Colorado or Cal--a good trip and an unfamiliar but not very difficult opponent.

Where is the challenge in that? 2 of the bottom feeders in a premiere conference...you might as well keep Clemson...i would at least say Washington, Arizona or Arizona state

^Year in and year out, Auburn (along with Tennessee) has the toughest schedule in the SEC. Speaking of the Vols, they are about the best argument you can make against scheduling tough OOC games. If they hadn't done those home-and-homes with Oregon and Oklahoma, I'd guarantee you they'd be making much quicker progress.

Do we really want to give ourselves a death sentence by adding a team like Oregon? I do agree that Washington and Arizona would be fun.

OK, forgiv me for being eletist but I just don't think Clemson is worthy of so many home/home contracts with Auburn. When I was in school at Auburn we did play them almost every year...always in Auburn. And they were a cupcake on the schedule. Granted that was 40 years ago but I still don't consider Clemson to be in the same category as Auburn. We might as well have scheduled Wake Forest or Maryland. At least both those programs have some dignity about them and are not the low class dirt bag epitomized by Dabo Sweeny.

^Year in and year out, Auburn (along with Tennessee) has the toughest schedule in the SEC. Speaking of the Vols, they are about the best argument you can make against scheduling tough OOC games. If they hadn't done those home-and-homes with Oregon and Oklahoma, I'd guarantee you they'd be making much quicker progress.

Do we really want to give ourselves a death sentence by adding a team like Oregon? I do agree that Washington and Arizona would be fun.

It's not a death sentence if you win ^-^

And losing to Oregon looks a lot better nationally than potentially losing to Clemson, simply based on perception.

I. AM. SICK. OF. CLEMPSON.

Agree 1,000%. I'm tired of playing the wannabe Auburn school. I'm starting to hate Dabo just as much as little Nicky.

Hell yeah! Man up and beat the stink out of Oregon and the whole damn nation sits up and takes notice. It would be a premiere game that every college football fan would want to view. You pit AU's offense vs Oregon's offense and this is must see TV.

When I was in school we played Clemson home and home every year. It was a fun game and I liked it. Whether we AU fans want to believe it or not, Clemson now has a pretty good reputation nationally. I like this deal.

Maybe after this we can pick up Miami. We can always use exposure in our main recruiting areas and Clemson provides this. The Arizonas of the world do not.

I would love for us to beat the Dabo out of Clempson! Clempson.... there are a lot of Clemzies in my area. Some are good folks (about 70%) The other 30%, much like bammers.

Hell yeah! Man up and beat the stink out of Oregon and the whole damn nation sits up and takes notice. It would be a premiere game that every college football fan would want to view. You pit AU's offense vs Oregon's offense and this is must see TV.

It would be a big game for TV and would draw a huge audience.

I understand the grips, I would like to see Auburn play someone else as well. I just hope AU takes care of business and goes up 2 - love on Clemson, in those next two games. I would love to see Auburn get a home-and-home with either Stanford, Oklahoma, or Okie St.

There is no doubt that Clemson is a good team and that as far as quality they are a good matchup. With the ACC being so week they are pretty much guaranteed to finish second in there division every year. The problem is we have played these guys SO MANY TIMES over the last few years. Variety is all we are asking for here. I also agree that playing a game or 2 outside of the south would really help increase our brand and the national perception of AU. But hell if JJ for some reason refuses to travel more than 2 states away give us someone new. Miami, VT, GT, FLST, NC, TX, OK, OKST.....lots of options out there. 120 DIV 1 team and we play the same damn 20 year after year after year.....Clemson is a better team than KST but I'm much more excited about that game just because it is different.

I really hope JJ comes out and says he tried to get new teams and no one would play us so this is the best he could do. I don't like to pile on to the guy but I really question JJs AD abilities. For every good move he makes there is a head scratcher like this.

Well, at a minimum it shows no imagination and very little effort to book this by the ptb. That said, I would like a little payback so whatever I guess. Pretty ho hum all around.

Well, at a minimum it shows no imagination and very little effort to book this by the ptb.

It shows zero effort to end up with Clemson when other teams have been successful prior to this announcement in negotiating better opponents. When aTm can get a date with UCLA and they've only been in the conference two seasons, UGA gets Notre Dame ~ UAT gets USC ~ LSU gets Wisky all before AU made this announcement it appears our AD got out worked by some of our SEC brethren.

It's done deal now though - so kick 'em in the butt Big Blue!

It boils down to the fact that Auburn gains nothing by beating Clemson. No more than we do by beating Miss St. Yes Clemson is usually ranked higher than Miss St but still a win over them does Auburn no good, since everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson. Note I didn't say everyone expects Auburn to always beat Clemson but that everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson.

And there is no good reason to schedule a good ooc opponent if we gain nothing by beating them.

Exhibit A-- On the surface, this shows -1000% imagination by our AD, who has been pulling this crap for more than a decade. Apparently he has Clemson on speed dial whenever he needs to appear to make an effort. But, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while (like hiring Malzahn).

Exhibit B-- I know nearly every Auburn fan is sick of playing Clemson. However, of all the other games scheduled that same day in September between SEC teams and traditional powers, Clemson may very well be the highest ranked team among them. If your talking history and tradition, then, yes, Clemson looks dull, but, if Clemson has a good year in 2014 and are highly ranked at the end of the season, then beating them in 2015 might catapult Auburn into the No. 1 ranking. Clemson has been recruiting extremely well the past few years, and that is going to translate into some elite teams sometime soon.

Granted there are probably 75 schools I'd rather watch Auburn play outside the SEC instead of Clemson because we are meeting them so much lately, but it might prove beneficial in the long run if both programs continue their upward trend.

That said, I'm ready to play Washington, Oregon, Stanford, or either Arizona school and guarantee I will travel to the game if it is on the West coast. Auburn took a lot of fans to Los Angeles a decade ago, it was around 50/50 between Auburn and USC fans. An AD worth his salt could sell that.

It's not a bad match up afa quality of opponent. It just bores the cap out of me compared to other potential opponents.

We scheduled USC years ago, we can do better than a yearly battle with cemson.

I think we can all agree that it is a quality opponent. I think we can all agree that we have played said opponent way too much lately. I think we can all agree that we would like something different. I think I'm right on this one.

Here's the thing: we already play enough challenging foes. I'd like to have more than just one good year (in which we won A LOT of games by the skin of our teeth) before I label us elite.

Archived