AU home & home vs Clemson

keesler

Well, at least it's only a 2-year deal...if we hadn't played them so often in recent years, I don't think there would be the general lack of excitement about it. I'd like to see Notre Dame on the schedule at some point, just because we haven't ever played them.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least it's only a 2-year deal...if we hadn't played them so often in recent years, I don't think there would be the general lack of excitement about it. I'd like to see Notre Dame on the schedule at some point, just because we haven't ever played them.

I prefer South Alabama....we haven't played them either....and we keep the money in the state of Alabama.

LOL or maybe GA southern right AU64? Oh what about that Arkansas Baptist school KF transferred too....that would be some interesting story lines!!

I don't think we'd be writing ND a check if we played them.

It just seems as though Jay Jacobs is scared of Auburn playing teams like Florida State, Notre Dame, Michigan or UCLA.

ZZzzz. Wake me when this snoozer is over.

It will probably be a game between two top 10-15 teams. If you want to sleep through that that's your problem.

Okay, I will. It is my opinion that this was an easy option when more interesting options are out there. You are free to have your opinion. I'm sure there are big name programs willing to play AUburn in a home and hone series but this was an easy way out to say a "big time" opponent had been scheduled. If you're satisfied with Clemson AGAIN, that's your problem.

It's your opinion without any facts. And if my problem is wanting to watch Auburn play a potentially top ten team that we owe then I can live with that.

And you have no facts that an attempt was made to schedule other opponents. It's all conjecture. Clemson is an easy boring game. It'll be about how we are brother programs of heisman and Morris being Gus like. Bla bla bla. I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it. I don't care if they're top 10 or not. It's a product of being in the acc (see the number of years in a row that USC has beaten them)I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game. I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn. On a side note, I feel confident Oregon would've scheduled a home/home being they've went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville . Also, I'd be more interested in a Boise state match up. Also, while a part of the AUMB, I slept during most of the '98 peach bowl against Clemson.

Hang on, hang on...Do you honestly not see the irony in saying:

"I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it...I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game." and then following it immediately with " I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn."

I'm pretty sure sleeping through the bowl game when you were in the marching band is pretty much the textbook example of being "less supportive."

I'm honestly not trying to badmouth you. It was just a really incongruous thing to see said.

Also: if Chad Morris is still at Clemson in 2016, I really can't wrap my head around the assertion that a matchup between those two offenses would be...boring.

Also also: while both the statements "other teams were contacted" and "other teams were not contacted" are both assertions with no evidence, the idea that "no other teams were contacted" is patently ridiculous. Unless you honestly believe Jay Jacobs just sits in his office and stares off into the middle distance, I guess. I mean...the guy is the Athletic Director. He probably has a dozen calls a week with other ADs from other schools. Future schedules and future series are press released all the time, and there's a lot of work that goes into making them. The idea that he just kinda sits there and has nothing to do with them is not an opinion that is grounded in any kind of reality.

Aside from that: We know nothing of the situation. Even if this were a spur of the moment thing, which it more than likely was not, you know what's an equally likely scenario? That Dan Radakovich called him first and said "hey, Jay, how's about a home & home? we miss you."

As for people saying "I'd rather play Maryland," or "Bring on Boston College!" or "Let's play Duke!"...do you actually listen to yourself talk? You would rather play a team that, over the past 3 years has gone 2-10, 4-8, and 6-7 while wearing uniforms that look like they were picked by a 3 year old on LSD, instead of a team that's gone 10-4, 11-2, and 11-2 with 1 conference championship and 2 BCS bowl game appearances? Are you on something?

Seriously, the amount of whining in this thread is pretty special.

Point taken about '98 but part of that was due to me being of legal age and being out until 0200 and then having to be up early for practice and honestly, 2012 really was boring. I understand the SOS arguments and all but to me this is as bland as saltine crackers. FWIW, I don't think Morris will be there beyond this year.

If still have a beer with you. And I agree about Morris. I think he's gone after this year if Clemson has another good season. In fact, a good season will be doubly good for him, considering the pieces he lost.

Something to be said though about getting the bad taste out of the collective Auburn mouth from the last 2 meetings. FSU & Clemson compete for arguably the most delusional fan bases but I'd like us to return to normal against both (we're similarly 14-5-1 vs FSU) before closing their books. Hope we spank Clemson in this series then don't play them for a couple decades.

Something to be said though about getting the bad taste out of the collective Auburn mouth from the last 2 meetings. FSU & Clemson compete for arguably the most delusional fan bases but I'd like us to return to normal against both (we're similarly 14-5-1 vs FSU) before closing their books. Hope we spank Clemson in this series then don't play them for a couple decades.

But what if Ole Ellis is still here next year? Will we have a chance at beating Clemson or have we already lost due to CEJ's awful attempts at running a defense?

This series in Auburn territory......good place to play our OOC games in my view. Lots of AU alums and prospects can easily see these games....and IMO, there is absolutely nothing to gain by going to Columbus. Ohio or Ann Arbor or wherever for a regular season game.

And please people,,,,,,just because Bama or LSU does it ....that's not necessarily an endorsement as a great idea. I just can't buy this idea that playing one of the over the hill Big Ten teams does anything to enhance Auburn's reputation.

This is what the day will look like

September 3, 2016

Clemson at Auburn

Alabama vs USC

LSU vs Wisconsin

UCLA at TAMU

Jim Mora might not even be there at UCLA anymore

Wisconsin SHOULD have fallen off at that point

USC is flip floppity this decade, you don't know how they might be

Clemson is the best pick strength of opponent wise as of right now

This series in Auburn territory......good place to play our OOC games in my view. Lots of AU alums and prospects can easily see these games....and IMO, there is absolutely nothing to gain by going to Columbus. Ohio or Ann Arbor or wherever for a regular season game.

And please people,,,,,,just because Bama or LSU does it ....that's not necessarily an endorsement as a great idea. I just can't buy this idea that playing one of the over the hill Big Ten teams does anything to enhance Auburn's reputation.

September 3, 2016

Clemson at Auburn

Alabama vs USC

LSU vs Wisconsin

UCLA at TAMU

I'm sure that's what Jacobs was considering when he signed us up. :-\

Listen, I'm over this latest news of our upcoming opponent. It feels boring because we've played them so much lately. We all know there were other programs to be had because UGA/LSU/aTm/UAT were able to work deals with other teams that would have brought more enthusiasm from the fanbase in general.

It is what it is and the AU Family will travel like champs to whip those crazy eyed tigers.

September 3, 2016

Clemson at Auburn

Alabama vs USC

LSU vs Wisconsin

UCLA at TAMU

I'm sure that's what Jacobs was considering when he signed us up. :-\/>

Listen, I'm over this latest news of our upcoming opponent. It feels boring because we've played them so much lately. We all know there were other programs to be had because UGA/LSU/aTm/UAT were able to work deals with other teams that would have brought more enthusiasm from the fanbase in general.

It is what it is and the AU Family will travel like champs to whip those crazy eyed tigers.

So your problem with this was the fact that we've already played them? I understand now

I read a B/R article and it seemed like the guys Jacobs actually wanted to play was already booked (Notre Dame) and his backup plan was to choose a regional opponent

September 3, 2016

Clemson at Auburn

Alabama vs USC

LSU vs Wisconsin

UCLA at TAMU

I'm sure that's what Jacobs was considering when he signed us up. :-\/>

So your problem with this was the fact that we've already played them? I understand now

I read a B/R article and it seemed like the guys Jacobs actually wanted to play was already booked (Notre Dame) and his backup plan was to choose a regional opponent

Yeah, my issue is that we will have played Clemson a half a dozen times in a ten year span when it's over. I'd rather player another team. And "if" ND was booked, it's because the damn UGA Dawgs beat AU to the punch.

My favorite thing is when we assume that just because JJ wants AU to play someone, the other team will drop everything and accept. Take off the O&B glasses - it takes two to tango, and sometimes, the other team doesn't want to dance.

My favorite thing is when we assume that just because JJ wants AU to play someone, the other team will drop everything and accept. Take off the O&B glasses - it takes two to tango, and sometimes, the other team doesn't want to dance.

Whoa.....you mean ND or Michigan will not immediately shift it's schedule around to accommodate a home and home with AU? who woulda thunk it? And obviously I'm about the only one but I just can't see the advantage to playing a game out in California or Wisconsin as part of a home and home contract.

Face it....its' much easier to schedule one of the these "made for TV" games at some neutral site but JMO...(and maybe JJ's too) that AU has little to gain by playing someone in Dallas....though we have played a number of games in Atlanta...which is a good site for AU alums.

JJ is a genius for scheduling a "sure thing" tough ACC opponent in 2016-2017 that barely gets half of even the AU fan base fired up. So that must mean that he is hard at work securing at top notch, SOS-enhancing opponent for 2018-2019 like other elite schools are doing.

I'll bet Clemson has an opening those years.

I am surprised so many people are complaining about this. Maybe some piling on the ole JJ train is still happening, but this is how I see it.

1. Regional so more fans can travel. JJ probably gets just as many complaints about not keeping the schedule close to home.

2. We have played USC, KSU, WVU, WSU, GT, Clemson, Syracuse, UVA (off the top of my head) all in the past 10 or 15 years or so. That seems pretty good to me. And I remember some people then complaining then about why we were playing so many tough OOC opponents when our schedule was so hard already.

3. Recruiting. We don't really recruit nationally. But we do recruit in South Carolina (ahem, Stephen Davis Jr.). I have always heard is is best to schedule OOC opponents in the areas you recruit. Outside of Alabama, we hit Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina pretty hard. I would like to see OOC games against Miami, FSU, and Texas maybe where we can gain in recruiting. We don't recruit California, Ohio, Arizona, etc. very hard so why play there. That's what the coaches are thinking I bet.

^Year in and year out, Auburn (along with Tennessee) has the toughest schedule in the SEC. Speaking of the Vols, they are about the best argument you can make against scheduling tough OOC games. If they hadn't done those home-and-homes with Oregon and Oklahoma, I'd guarantee you they'd be making much quicker progress.

Do we really want to give ourselves a death sentence by adding a team like Oregon? I do agree that Washington and Arizona would be fun.

It's not a death sentence if you win ^-^

And losing to Oregon looks a lot better nationally than potentially losing to Clemson, simply based on perception.

Of course it's not a death sentence if you win but it's not worth the risk. I disagree as Clemson isn't going to be the same team they were over the past 2 or 3 seasons and with the NFL guys in Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins they should be more and more in the media spotlight over the next few years. They've built a much more solid reputation than Oregon has in the post Oregon:Chip Kelly days.

I am surprised so many people are complaining about this. Maybe some piling on the ole JJ train is still happening, but this is how I see it.

1. Regional so more fans can travel. JJ probably gets just as many complaints about not keeping the schedule close to home.

2. We have played USC, KSU, WVU, WSU, GT, Clemson, Syracuse, UVA (off the top of my head) all in the past 10 or 15 years or so. That seems pretty good to me. And I remember some people then complaining then about why we were playing so many tough OOC opponents when our schedule was so hard already.

3. Recruiting. We don't really recruit nationally. But we do recruit in South Carolina (ahem, Stephen Davis Jr.). I have always heard is is best to schedule OOC opponents in the areas you recruit. Outside of Alabama, we hit Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina pretty hard. I would like to see OOC games against Miami, FSU, and Texas maybe where we can gain in recruiting. We don't recruit California, Ohio, Arizona, etc. very hard so why play there. That's what the coaches are thinking I bet.

I don't think it would hurt to attempt to expand the recruiting base a bit. Of course, that doesn't mean abandon current recruiting pipelines, however I think its underestimated at times what boost in the arm 2010, and 2013 was for the program. Those years show HS kids around the nation that you can win big at Auburn, play in the SEC every fall Saturday, and potentially take your talents to the next level. Also still receiving cool points with recruits from Cam having played here in the aura surrounding that season.

Archived