AU home & home vs Clemson

keesler

I don't love it just because I crave some variety, HOWEVER, I love it because I hate Dabo Swinney and want to see Gus pound him into the dirt and make him look like the whiny, idiot he is.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see I am in the minority by far but I love it. I have several Clemson grads in my family including a granddaughter there now. It's alwys fun for us and Clemson is a lot like Auburn. It will be a sellout and easy travel for AU fans when we play there. Bring on bama boy!

It boils down to the fact that Auburn gains nothing by beating Clemson. No more than we do by beating Miss St. Yes Clemson is usually ranked higher than Miss St but still a win over them does Auburn no good, since everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson. Note I didn't say everyone expects Auburn to always beat Clemson but that everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson.

And there is no good reason to schedule a good ooc opponent if we gain nothing by beating them.

And this just re-enforces the fact that our AD cannot handle such complex thinking.

It boils down to the fact that Auburn gains nothing by beating Clemson. No more than we do by beating Miss St. Yes Clemson is usually ranked higher than Miss St but still a win over them does Auburn no good, since everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson. Note I didn't say everyone expects Auburn to always beat Clemson but that everyone always expects Auburn to beat Clemson.

And there is no good reason to schedule a good ooc opponent if we gain nothing by beating them.

And this just re-enforces the fact that our AD cannot handle such complex thinking.

Beating a ranked team and we gain nothing? ...are you really serious?

Sounds like a bunch of presumed AU fans are tying to find a schedule that will make their bama friends happy. Bama rarely plays a serious OOC game where they have to do the traveling. Played Penn State when they were in the toilet....but meanwhile let me know when the tawd plays a game in Columbus, Ohio or Los Angeles....then I will take their scheduling seriously.

Beating a ranked team and we gain nothing? ...are you really serious?

Sounds like a bunch of presumed AU fans are tying to find a schedule that will make their bama friends happy. Bama rarely plays a serious OOC game where they have to do the traveling. Played Penn State when they were in the toilet....but meanwhile let me know when the tawd plays a game in Columbus, Ohio or Los Angeles....then I will take their scheduling seriously.

I am with you.

I would also not be surprised to see one of these games end up as one of the Chic-fil-a kickoff games.

No doubt, nearly vomited when I heard the news. But to be honest I kinda expected it. Clemson will be at best second in ACC at worst third but damn I'm tired of playing them. But now that it's on, it's on.

We've played Clemson recently more often than some SEC East teams. While I understand the geographic proximity and the past history, this announcement is very disappointing. We need more variety in our OOC games. Clemson is definitely not a team I'm interested in seeing again so soon, and Dabo makes me so mad my blood pressure goes through the roof seeing and listening to him.

We've played Clemson recently more often than some SEC East teams. While I understand the geographic proximity and the past history, this announcement is very disappointing. We need more variety in our OOC games. Clemson is definitely not a team I'm interested in seeing again so soon, and Dabo makes me so mad my blood pressure goes through the roof seeing and listening to him.

Then you should enjoy it when we beat the tar out of him.

We have played Clemson 4 times in the last 7 years. This is absolutely ridiculous! Jay Jacobs has improved in his decisions making, but he still lacks the necessary vision for our athletic program. Yes, let's play Clemson every year while Alabama gets all the high profile, prime-time games against Penn State, Michigan, & USC.

I don't dislike playing Clemson. However, there are many east coast and midwest teams we could play and have great 2-3 game series with and without having to travel to the west coast.

How about some of these.

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

NC State

Virginia

Maryland -- Could be the Under Amour Bowl or something

Louisville

Any of the B10

any of the Texas schools

But playing Clemson 7 times over the course of a few years is a lot.

It's just amazing to me how shallow people can be. People here act like just because we agreed to a home and home with Clemson that we didn't try to talk to anybody else. It's probably the most ridiculous conclusion (with zero facts) that I've seen here. Some of you need to step away from the ledge and quit blaming Jacobs for everything when it doesn't suit you. It's like it never occurred to any of you that our AD was in contact with multiple other schools and THEY said no for whatever reason they had. Putting all the blame on Jacobs is just being uninformed and drawing a ridiculous conclusion with zero facts to support it.

ZZzzz. Wake me when this snoozer is over.

It will probably be a game between two top 10-15 teams. If you want to sleep through that that's your problem.

I don't like it but I don't hate it either. Clemson is a good program & will probably be ranked when we play them. I also would love to beat Dabo & rid myself of the bad taste in my mouth of loosing two straight to them. The reason I don't like is variety. I'd like Auburn to play someone new or at least someone they haven't played in a while. To be honest, I probably won't travel to Clemson or any other location. I do however enjoy having fans come to Auburn & experience a game at Jordan-Hare for the first time. My guess is many of those that will make the trip did so also in 2010. My guess is that many of the Clemson folks feel about the same as many Auburn fans.

It's just amazing to me how shallow people can be. People here act like just because we agreed to a home and home with Clemson that we didn't try to talk to anybody else. It's probably the most ridiculous conclusion (with zero facts) that I've seen here. Some of you need to step away from the ledge and quit blaming Jacobs for everything when it doesn't suit you. It's like it never occurred to any of you that our AD was in contact with multiple other schools and THEY said no for whatever reason they had. Putting all the blame on Jacobs is just being uninformed and drawing a ridiculous conclusion with zero facts to support it.

Well...was Jacobs in touch with numerous other schools and they all turned him down? If so, who were they?

It will probably be a game between two top 10-15 teams. If you want to sleep through that that's your problem.

Okay, I will. It is my opinion that this was an easy option when more interesting options are out there. You are free to have your opinion. I'm sure there are big name programs willing to play AUburn in a home and hone series but this was an easy way out to say a "big time" opponent had been scheduled. If you're satisfied with Clemson AGAIN, that's your problem.

Well...was Jacobs in touch with numerous other schools and they all turned him down? If so, who were they?

If so ^^^^ then I'd really be dismayed.... if it meant someone let ALL THE better choices get away before they acted?

No one outside the athletic dept knows for sure. But it's more logical to assume he did contact multiple schools than he only talked to Clemson. They may not have all said no, but Clem was the first to say yes. Others would likely still be in discussion about future years.

I like it, but 5 games in 8 years is a little much, unless out is a conference rival.

I would love to see us play Nebraska again. We had a home-and-home with them in the early 80s when they were very good and we were very bad. We also played them in the Cotton Bowl a few years ago.

No one outside the athletic dept knows for sure. But it's more logical to assume he did contact multiple schools than he only talked to Clemson. They may not have all said no, but Clem was the first to say yes. Others would likely still be in discussion about future years.

I like it, but 5 games in 8 years is a little much, unless out is a conference rival.

I would love to see us play Nebraska again. We had a home-and-home with them in the early 80s when they were very good and we were very bad. We also played them in the Cotton Bowl a few years ago.

I seem to remeber reading somewhere that Nebraska,Michigan,and Notre Dame were all willing to play but it had to be either a 2 for 1 or a home and neutral sight game.

Okay, I will. It is my opinion that this was an easy option when more interesting options are out there. You are free to have your opinion. I'm sure there are big name programs willing to play AUburn in a home and hone series but this was an easy way out to say a "big time" opponent had been scheduled. If you're satisfied with Clemson AGAIN, that's your problem.

It's your opinion without any facts. And if my problem is wanting to watch Auburn play a potentially top ten team that we owe then I can live with that.

It's your opinion without any facts. And if my problem is wanting to watch Auburn play a potentially top ten team that we owe then I can live with that.

And you have no facts that an attempt was made to schedule other opponents. It's all conjecture. Clemson is an easy boring game. It'll be about how we are brother programs of heisman and Morris being Gus like. Bla bla bla. I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it. I don't care if they're top 10 or not. It's a product of being in the acc (see the number of years in a row that USC has beaten them)I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game. I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn. On a side note, I feel confident Oregon would've scheduled a home/home being they've went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville . Also, I'd be more interested in a Boise state match up. Also, while a part of the AUMB, I slept during most of the '98 peach bowl against Clemson.

Clemson is a nice match up, but not exciting. I know they beat us in 2011 and 2012, but those were average and historically bad Auburn teams vs two great teams (10 wins and an Acc title in '11, 11 wins including a bowl win vs LSU in '12) for Clemson. Historically, we dominate them, 34-13-2. I f we went ACC we should have gotten GT, one of our best historic rivals with some big, exciting finishes, or FSU, who we also dominate all time. However, at least FSU has been a national power since the 90's, so we get national cred for beating them.

If we were going for a pretty good team that is nationally know (which is what Clemson is), we should have gotten BYU. They are exciting because of their offense and we are not familiar with them. The west coast would respect us for playing them, and ESPN televise practically all their games!

Archived