2014 Fall Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

AU worked mostly inside today ...

Bt-vMhqIYAA6NqC.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

Nick Marshall & Jonathon Mincy were both practicing with 1st teams. So whatever their punishments are, not much impact today.

Robenson Therezie and Justin Garrett both took 1st team reps at star safety

Josh Holsey was at boundary corner, opposite Mincy. Whitehead & Moncrief at safety.

1st team OL had some changes as Alex Kozan was not at practice.

@JamesCrepea

Senior RG Chad Slade moved over to LG w/ 1s, RT Avery Young at RG and Patrick Miller at RT. Shon Coleman at LT and Reese Dismukes at center.

@AUBlog

Josh Holsey was working exclusively at cornerback early in practice.

@bmarcello

At running back, Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne were splitting reps with the first-team. Peyton Barber was with the second-team.

@wareagleextra

Bt-uyd5IQAITFX9.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

Bt-uLMFCAAEZRLp.jpg

via @kyle_burger

Bt-tbwYIUAAJ9cf.jpg

via @Szvetitz

Bt_uja_JIg_AEUVKR.jpg

via @TheAUPlainsman

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So no Kozan on the OL? Can we finally discuss this?

Left guard Alex Kozan was not at practice today. I'm sure Gus Malzahn will give us an update on the All-SEC OL later tonight.

@bmarcello

I must have missed the Russell tags? ...

Two different Russell tags. One item at 19 seconds and the other at 20

Got it ... inquiry launched ;)

Those tags are for the new Russell CarbonTek shoulder pad system. Auburn test wore them last season.

Free from PM:

A little after 3 p.m., Gus Malzahn's second Auburn football team took the field for preseason camp. Some observations:

* Sophomore offensive guard Alex Kozan was not on the field. The first-team offensive line appeared to be LT Shon Coleman, LG Chad Slade, C Reese Dismukes, RG Avery Young, RT Patrick MIller.

* The first four to take snaps on the defensive line were Elijah Daniel, Angelo Blackson, Ben Bradley and Gabe Wright.

* The first four to take snaps in the secondary were Jonathon Mincy and Josh Holsey at cornerbacks and Jeremaine Whitehead and Derrick Moncrief at safeties.

* Robenson Therezie and Justin Garrett each played with the first team at Star.

* Quarterback Nick Marshall worked with the first-team offense.

* Former Auburn coach Pat Dye on DT Montravius Adams: "He was a boy last year. Now he's a man."

I must have missed the Russell tags? ...

Two different Russell tags. One item at 19 seconds and the other at 20

Got it ... inquiry launched ;)

Those tags are for the new Russell CarbonTek shoulder pad system. Auburn test wore them last season.

You da man!

There is still doubt from those outside of the AUFamily that it was a fluke and our schedule is not any easier this season. I've seen several players tweets make reference to those things as part of their motivation.

This is underscored by the overwhelming picks of Bama to win the conference in preseason predictions, and that serves very well to motivate a group hungry to get back to the top. It adds a familiar taste to last season, with the opener coming against a team with a lot to prove but nowhere near the pedigree, and it will probably take beating LSU to go 5-0 before the nation starts to buy wholesale into Auburn being more than a one hit wonder.

Honestly, I think this season is far more complicated than last year. I projected the best case scenario as being a loss in Baton Rouge (new starting QB playing first road game in Death Valley...), but no others, because of the way the schedule set up. This year, I'd say we have a better chance at going undefeated, but that it will also be more difficult to get through without dropping 2 or 3. Arkansas should pose no problem, but if the team doesn't show up ready to play, Arky is also the type of squad that could take advantage. K-State on the road on Thursday night shouldn't be an issue, but is certainly no given. LSU is at home, but it's still LSU...and if we get through that stretch unscathed, we face Miss State in a prime candidate for a letdown after what could be a high emotion game with the Bayou Bengals, then have a buy week before going through a shooting gallery for four weeks leading up to the Stanford game.

THEN we face off with Bammer, who--barring the revitalization of Florida and Tennessee--have a tremendously easier gauntlet to follow.

So yeah, it's a tough schedule.

But you know what? I think this is the year when Auburn steps up and serves notice to the college football world that we are a force to be reckoned with, not the second fiddle team in the state that the Bama media would have you believe.

:wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

There is still doubt from those outside of the AUFamily that it was a fluke and our schedule is not any easier this season. I've seen several players tweets make reference to those things as part of their motivation.

This is underscored by the overwhelming picks of Bama to win the conference in preseason predictions, and that serves very well to motivate a group hungry to get back to the top. It adds a familiar taste to last season, with the opener coming against a team with a lot to prove but nowhere near the pedigree, and it will probably take beating LSU to go 5-0 before the nation starts to buy wholesale into Auburn being more than a one hit wonder.

Honestly, I think this season is far more complicated than last year. I projected the best case scenario as being a loss in Baton Rouge (new starting QB playing first road game in Death Valley...), but no others, because of the way the schedule set up. This year, I'd say we have a better chance at going undefeated, but that it will also be more difficult to get through without dropping 2 or 3. Arkansas should pose no problem, but if the team doesn't show up ready to play, Arky is also the type of squad that could take advantage. K-State on the road on Thursday night shouldn't be an issue, but is certainly no given. LSU is at home, but it's still LSU...and if we get through that stretch unscathed, we face Miss State in a prime candidate for a letdown after what could be a high emotion game with the Bayou Bengals, then have a buy week before going through a shooting gallery for four weeks leading up to the Stanford game.

THEN we face off with Bammer, who--barring the revitalization of Florida and Tennessee--have a tremendously easier gauntlet to follow.

So yeah, it's a tough schedule.

But you know what? I think this is the year when Auburn steps up and serves notice to the college football world that we are a force to be reckoned with, not the second fiddle team in the state that the Bama media would have you believe.

:wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

I wish ....

:poke:

Wardrobe heads up ... word is Coach Malzahn sent his secretary into a local AU store to get a certain straw hat ... he was sporting a white visor today but stay tuned ...

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

with Kozan out i now feel comfortable that the realignment in the oline will have Coleman starting. I wasnt sure he would win over Miller now it dont matter. I am assuming Kozan is out extensively.

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

you are one depressed individual?

That would be shocking to me.

Wow. We shall see.

c'mon man....5 games,oh ye of little faith, believe in the tigers and don't hop off the gus bus,i know this year is going to be tough but no way they lose that many games, just kozan and lawson are injured, we are stacked at every position we will be great, don't worry buddy

Check out all the new facemask designs. Lot of the lineman have some full cages. I mean real full cages...

Archived