2014 Fall Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm this off season has sucked......

Could've been worse.

It always could be but losing Lawson & Kozan suuuuucks. Now we've got our starting QB and our best corner not starting the first game against a west opponent. Also don't forget Barber's injury(who many think is our best back) that sidelined him during summer workouts.

Problem is Altima is I don't trust you about this ( Mr. Insider) I trust what I have seen and that is that for 4 years Chad has been a starter while the likes of Diamond Coleman, Westerman, Young, Miller and many other quality players have sat the bench behind him. These coaches make a living winning games. If Chad is better than these guys he must be doing something right. In fact I read an article the other day that said he was one of the most under-rated players on the team. But being the quality player that he is he continues to come to work everyday and continues to hold a starting spot on the 2013 SEC champions OL. Go figure. WDE

If PTB is out there, what kind of weight lifting injury on kozans back are we looking at. I thought back injuries creep up on the career ending side.

So glad you asked. Kozan has had back injuries since his commitment. He has really been tough to battle through it the end of last year. He had a herniated disc in his lumbar spine. I don't know what procedure he had, (honestly I don't.) as I believe it was performed back in Colorado. So his return to football at all, is really up in the air and the timetable and rehab depends on the surgery (usually a laminectomy.) anyway, I'm sure weightlifting in general didn't help over the last two years, but that's the name of the game in football. As for end of career issues, some guys are unfortunate enough to have the disc issues earlier due to previous injuries, physical attributes and Genetics and dumb luck.

Summary: we were lucky that he performed so admirably last year given his circumstances. He took the pain until he couldn't perform any longer. We will be ok on the o line, and we saw this coming long before spring practice. Lastly, pray for Kozan's future, as his health surpasses that of football.

Eagle eye you know you don't have to come in and spank somebody every time you post....I agree it's not like slade sucks or anything but you're just as far on the other end with the one of the highest drafted guys

If PTB is out there, what kind of weight lifting injury on kozans back are we looking at. I thought back injuries creep up on the career ending side.

So glad you asked. Kozan has had back injuries since his commitment. He has really been tough to battle through it the end of last year. He had a herniated disc in his lumbar spine. I don't know what procedure he had, (honestly I don't.) as I believe it was performed back in Colorado. So his return to football at all, is really up in the air and the timetable and rehab depends on the surgery (usually a laminectomy.) anyway, I'm sure weightlifting in general didn't help over the last two years, but that's the name of the game in football. As for end of career issues, some guys are unfortunate enough to have the disc issues earlier due to previous injuries, physical attributes and Genetics and dumb luck.

Summary: we were lucky that he performed so admirably last year given his circumstances. He took the pain until he couldn't perform any longer. We will be ok on the o line, and we saw this coming long before spring practice. Lastly, pray for Kozan's future, as his health surpasses that of football.

Wow don't get more inside than that as far as information goes. Even if this was wrong it would still be impressive

Do you know what lift he was doing that aggravated his injury? I know with deadlifts, you can really mess up your back if your form slips.

Do you know what lift he was doing that aggravated his injury? I know with deadlifts, you can really mess up your back if your form slips.

Just about any lift you perform(snatches,cleans and all variations) could cause major back problems if performed incorrectly...especially the type of weight a guy like AK would be using.

I wasn't aware of any particular lift that aggravated the back. Speaking with one of the linemen a couple of weeks ago, it was suggested that just workouts in general were getting hard to complete. Dead lifts and squats require really good form and would be frequent offenders to answer your question...as could cleans and more complex lifts, but I'm not aware of any 1 exercise that hurt Kozan if any.

Also, I like to be completely accurate so to clarify a comment earlier, I am not aware whether he has had the surgery/procedure yet or is in need of one. Again, I think he's back home in Colorado.

Deadlifts and squats require good form, as do all lifts, but are relatively simple lifts. Something with more complex and compound movements probably has a higher likelihood of causing an injury this severe(again...snatches and cleans). Obviously, this is all speculation and he could've hurt his back reracking weights for all we know.

There is still doubt from those outside of the AUFamily that it was a fluke and our schedule is not any easier this season. I've seen several players tweets make reference to those things as part of their motivation.

This is underscored by the overwhelming picks of Bama to win the conference in preseason predictions, and that serves very well to motivate a group hungry to get back to the top. It adds a familiar taste to last season, with the opener coming against a team with a lot to prove but nowhere near the pedigree, and it will probably take beating LSU to go 5-0 before the nation starts to buy wholesale into Auburn being more than a one hit wonder.

Honestly, I think this season is far more complicated than last year. I projected the best case scenario as being a loss in Baton Rouge (new starting QB playing first road game in Death Valley...), but no others, because of the way the schedule set up. This year, I'd say we have a better chance at going undefeated, but that it will also be more difficult to get through without dropping 2 or 3. Arkansas should pose no problem, but if the team doesn't show up ready to play, Arky is also the type of squad that could take advantage. K-State on the road on Thursday night shouldn't be an issue, but is certainly no given. LSU is at home, but it's still LSU...and if we get through that stretch unscathed, we face Miss State in a prime candidate for a letdown after what could be a high emotion game with the Bayou Bengals, then have a buy week before going through a shooting gallery for four weeks leading up to the Stanford game.

THEN we face off with Bammer, who--barring the revitalization of Florida and Tennessee--have a tremendously easier gauntlet to follow.

So yeah, it's a tough schedule.

But you know what? I think this is the year when Auburn steps up and serves notice to the college football world that we are a force to be reckoned with, not the second fiddle team in the state that the Bama media would have you believe.

:wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

Agree. I personally like it. I don't pay a lot of attention to the media but i like how it is fueling our players though.

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

you are one depressed individual?

+1

Problem is Altima is I don't trust you about this ( Mr. Insider) I trust what I have seen and that is that for 4 years Chad has been a starter while the likes of Diamond Coleman, Westerman, Young, Miller and many other quality players have sat the bench behind him. These coaches make a living winning games. If Chad is better than these guys he must be doing something right. In fact I read an article the other day that said he was one of the most under-rated players on the team. But being the quality player that he is he continues to come to work everyday and continues to hold a starting spot on the 2013 SEC champions OL. Go figure. WDE

EE7, it's cool. You don't have to trust me. Hell, I probably don't trust half the posters on this board.

I see you're getting defensive when talking about Chad... but lets just pump the breaks a bit when talking about his road to pt.

He's been involved in some pretty unique - 'process of elemination' position battles. For instance:

Eric Mack - shoulder surgery, shot in the butt

Blake Burgess - center, moved to fullback

Ed Christian - (RIP) gave up football / back probs

Christian Westerman - knee problems, transfer

Jordan Diamond - 2 surgeries in 2 seasons at AU

So, Slade's not playing because he's dominating his competition... He's basically been forced into action.

I'm not taking anything away from Chad though... He's a great kid. He's a hard worker with a lot of heart. But as stout as our Oline was last season, he was the soft spot... Sorry, but he was.

The ongoing joke last year was when Kozan and Chad sat next each other on the side line... Kozan was a filthy mess, and Chad had not a grass stain on him... haha. How can you be a pulling guard and not get dirty?

Simply put... if Braden Smith, Dion Mix, or Jordan Diamond work their way into being one of the top 5 linemen, regardless of position, Slade will be the first man out of the rotation.

If Alex were healthy this season, Chad would be battling Pat Miller for the 5th Oline spot. Meaning, if Pat won the 5th spot, that bumps Young inside to right guard and Slade to the bench...

Slade is a quality kid, team player, great character, and a senior leader that we need. That being said he is not as talented as those you mentioned. Fortunately for him he came in at the right time. If he signed a couple years later he would be behind Leff, Danzey, Mix, Adams, etc. And he probably wouldn't get an offer if he was a recruit this year. I'm still glad he's an AU Tiger. War Eagle, Chad.

JJ can win this game, but Marshall needs the game time experience to take us to the final four. Even if JJ puts 100 points on the board we need to play marshall

Just playing devil's advocate but what if JJ starts and absolutely lights it up. I mean 20/25 for 350 yards and 3 tds 0 ints against an SEC west opponent. Is there ANY chance Gus even considers letting JJ starts game 2? Just food for thought...

0%

Even less chance than that. Nick is our QB..period.

Archived