2014 Fall Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

c'mon man....5 games,oh ye of little faith, believe in the tigers and don't hop off the gus bus,i know this year is going to be tough but no way they lose that many games, just kozan and lawson are injured, we are stacked at every position we will be great, don't worry buddy

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. Certainly that LSU team three years ago had some attrition at the start of the year and up until the NC game was considered one of the greatest CFB teams ever. We shall see. :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No fooling around ...

Gus Malzahn wasn't fooling around (ordering up a long 26-period practice the first time out) on a sunny late afternoon on the outdoor practice field (and under the lights in the indoor facility). The is the first of seven straight days of practice for the Tigers.

Malzahn was to update on matters of the fall as this afternoon work turned into early evening. That's when he'll address personnel issues.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080114aaf.html

In the long run, I think Malzahn will be the greatest coach ever at Auburn and maybe even be better than Saban. I have full confidence that he'll have this team ready to dominate this year.

Talking bout the injuries gonna make us lose 5 games...Harrell,Nero would of never played anyways. Appears Wright at DE so Lawson doesnt really hurt now ,Adams can be moved to end if someone else gets hurts we got alot of DT and JaBrain Niles would be at DT as a 4 star that never plays. Kozan doesnt hurt either Chad Slade was all sec at RG and Young is a 5 star moving to right guard, Miller has started games at RT. Lawson would only be in on passing downs, he not that good vs the run. All Arkansas will do., they wanna keep the ball away from Aub's offense. The schedule is not tough, this will be a down year in the sec. So many new qb's starting for one thing. Georgia and Tex A &M on verge of playing scout team with players getting booted, paper thin on defense. LSU has to replace their entire hands team on offense and center,( chemistry gonna take a while ).Kansas St plays a crap load of walk ons. Miss St lacks depht contain Prescott,Lewis. Alabama and the spread dont mix so well. Only one team will compete with us I think, Ole Miss...they have depht on defense to rotate,returning senior QB, great wr core, decent o-line. They run same offense and defense as us.

Injuries I just dont see bothering us as of now

LE Daniel/Owens/President

DT Blackson/Whitaker/Niles

DT Bradley/Adams/Lawerence

RE Wright/Lambert/Adams or Williams

LT Coleman/Leff

LG Slade/Danzey/Mix

C Dismukes/Dampeer

RG Young/Diamond

RT Miller/ Adams

Talking bout the injuries gonna make us lose 5 games...Harrell,Nero would of never played anyways. Appears Wright at DE so Lawson doesnt really hurt now ,Adams can be moved to end if someone else gets hurts we got alot of DT and JaBrain Niles would be at DT as a 4 star that never plays. Kozan doesnt hurt either Chad Slade was all sec at RG and Young is a 5 star moving to right guard, Miller has started games at RT. Lawson would only be in on passing downs, he not that good vs the run. All Arkansas will do., they wanna keep the ball away from Aub's offense. The schedule is not tough, this will be a down year in the sec. So many new qb's starting for one thing. Georgia and Tex A &M on verge of playing scout team with players getting booted, paper thin on defense. LSU has to replace their entire hands team on offense and center,( chemistry gonna take a while ).Kansas St plays a crap load of walk ons. Miss St lacks depht contain Prescott,Lewis. Alabama and the spread dont mix so well. Only one team will compete with us I think, Ole Miss...they have depht on defense to rotate,returning senior QB, great wr core, decent o-line. They run same offense and defense as us.

I'm not sure if I've ever disagreed with so many different points in a single post before and that's not hyperbole.

Lawson was decent against the run for a freshman in the SEC. Recall vs TJ yeldon on a certain 4th and 1

I think we forget that the coaches prepped for this Oline situation in the spring. They moved Slade to LG, Young to RG, and Miller to RT for a couple of days. I'm not sure if it was fortuitous planning or they saw something then. We may never know but this has been a backup plan for a while.

I don't see a fall off if Gabe Wright plays defensive end, he his good versus both run and pass, Daniel was rated right behind Lawson that year at DE. Lambert No 1 juco DE, LaDarius Owens rotating with Daniel I like. At DT we're stacked. DE we're actually fine just 3 freshman and a juco coming in. Lawson,Daniels,Adams weren't too bad playing has true freshman. Williams and Thorton highly rated. I think President will suprise somehow has a 3 star he was a parade all american.

I don't see a fall off if an all sec RG who started at LG replaces an all sec LG. Young has a 5 star sliding over to RG, I like. Patrick Miller started as a freshman at RT, yeah he struggled but he was a true freshman. He was neck and neck with Coleman for starting LT. We do have 4 Five Stars that play on the o-line.

Injuries will effect us at LB and Saftey. We are fine everywhere else.

This is one of the most inaccurate post I have ever read on any forum

I don't see a fall off if Gabe Wright plays defensive end, he his good versus both run and pass, Daniel was rated right behind Lawson that year at DE. Lambert No 1 juco DE, LaDarius Owens rotating with Daniel I like. At DT we're stacked. DE we're actually fine just 3 freshman and a juco coming in. Lawson,Daniels,Adams weren't too bad playing has true freshman. Williams and Thorton highly rated. I think President will suprise somehow has a 3 star he was a parade all american.

I don't see a fall off if an all sec RG who started at LG replaces an all sec LG. Young has a 5 star sliding over to RG, I like. Patrick Miller started as a freshman at RT, yeah he struggled but he was a true freshman. He was neck and neck with Coleman for starting LT. We do have 4 Five Stars that play on the o-line.

That's homerism talking...I do think that all of the players you mentioned are more than capable of stepping up and filling the role, but losing Lawson and Kozan are blows any way you spin it.

Kozan is one of the most talented and promising linemen we have. Losing him will hurt.

It might hurt a little, but Kozan playing hurt could potentially hurt more with the talent we have stacked up behind him. We have insane depth with piles of talent. Let Kozan get better and he will be able to go full strength next year, maybe even the end of this season. I prefer this approach.

On my phone so hard to type and address everything in this post but here goes...

You talk about how loaded we are at DT but right now our two best interior disruptors(Wright and Adams) have had to work outside...that hurts. I really don't see any of the freshman DLinemen having near the impact that Lawson, Daniel or Adams had last year. And I'm not going to count on President to contribute until he shows promise on field.

Now the oline. You're talking about how many stars we have across the line-and that's great- but shuffling these guys around so much is a bigger deal than you're letting on. Shifting guys around who've excelled at one position doesn't mean they will in another. Continuity is key along the oline. Losing Lawson and Kozan will hurt.

And regarding your earlier post...don't underestimate our opponents this year. They'll all be tough in their own way, regardless of how it looks "on paper".

Kozan is one of the most talented and promising linemen we have. Losing him will hurt.

It might hurt a little, but Kozan playing hurt could potentially hurt more with the talent we have stacked up behind him. We have insane depth with piles of talent. Let Kozan get better and he will be able to go full strength next year, maybe even the end of this season. I prefer this approach.

I never said or implied that we should play him hurt.

Agreed.

Agreed.

When was Slade ever an All-SEC guard...?

If there has EVER been a weak spot on the Oline, it's been Slade. He's "experienced" but not very good.

Wright will end up on the inside imo... He's just not quick enough for the edge.

Agreed.

When was Slade ever an All-SEC guard...?

If there has EVER been a weak spot on the Oline, it's been Slade. He's "experienced" but not very good.

Wright will end up on the inside imo... He's just not quick enough for the edge.

Wright NEEDS to be on the inside. He's prepared to be a beast this year.

And Slade is a solid starter, particularly because of the amount of experience he has, but he's not All-SEC level.

Look it always hurts to lose starters. There is a reason they are starters, because they have out-preformed those behind them. That said we are very fortunate. Many forget we recruited the number one o-line class in 2012 and 2013. We are absolutely loaded on both lines with talent. It is true that being familure with each other is important but on defense we rotated a lot last year so the loss of Carl is bad but not over-whelming. Kozan will also be missed but we did work this group during spring and we have all fall to get it down. Also all 5 have playing time and all but Shon have started against SEC team. Sometimes folks wonder why uat gets high rankings even when they lose folks, it's because their recruitment. Be advised that the difference between 1st and 7th class ranking is not much (see the difference in the rankers). Which means we are right at the top.WDE

Behind Reese, Slade will be one of the highest SEC OLs that are not OTs to go in the draft next year. Why do you think that every coach that has been here over the last 4 years has started Chad, even over they 4 and 5 star players coming in. You think they think they owe him something. This spring when they moved Avery over everyone was talking about Chad not being the best choice, and now we see it was only to be able to facilitate Kozen being out. Chad is the most versatile OL we have. RR maybe you can convince these guys better than me. And he was listed on the coaches all SEC picks. Y'all sure you watch AU football. WDE

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

c'mon man....5 games,oh ye of little faith, believe in the tigers and don't hop off the gus bus,i know this year is going to be tough but no way they lose that many games, just kozan and lawson are injured, we are stacked at every position we will be great, don't worry buddy

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. Certainly that LSU team three years ago had some attrition at the start of the year and up until the NC game was considered one of the greatest CFB teams ever. We shall see. :)

yeah that-a-boy, that's the right attitude, this teams has a lot of motivation and could become one of the greatest auburn teams ever probably already are, Let's go tigers! :bananadance:

Presser ...

Gus Malzahn now at the podium, "It's great to be back and great to be back on the field practicing. ... We slowed it down a little bit."

@wareagleextra

Bt_Ohw4CAAA1NTF.jpg

via @Kyle_Burger

Malzahn isn't ready to say how long (a series, a quarter, a half, game) Nick Marshall and Jonathon Mincy will sit in the opener.

@Szvetitz

Quarterback Jeremy Johnson will continue to get more work at quarterback for Auburn, as previously planned.

Auburn offensive lineman Alex Kozan has had back surgery and will not play this season, said Gus Malzahn

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn said Marshall not starting does not change the reps for Jeremy Johnson. "He was going to have a bigger role this year, anyway."

Malzahn on Ricardo Louis: "He's one of those guys we really challenged to take that next step. ... He understands the offense."

Malzahn on newcomers: "I think it's critical that we had all of our guys here." Hopes to identify those who can help this yr within 2 weeks

@wareagleextra

Offense lineman Alex Kozan will miss the season after injuring his back lifting weights in the offseason.

@TheAUPlainsman

Auburn freshman running back Roc Thomas practiced without limitations following minor car accident Thursday

@ITATJason

Malzahn on the freshmen taking it slow: "I think it's important they sit back and kind of watch … a lot of times their heads are spinning."

@AUBlog

Even with Kozan out for the year, Malzahn said there is "quality depth" across the offensive line. RG Chad Slade worked at LG today.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Malzahn's first press conference of fall camp comes in at a brisk nine minutes.

@JFergusonAU

Archived