2014 Fall Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey looks bigger than "the big back" CAP

Yeah, I thought the same thing. CAP is listed at 210, Corey at 205 and both are 5-11. Something seems a bit off about those numbers when you see this picture.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. CAP is listed at 210, Corey at 205 and both are 5-11. Something seems a bit off about those numbers when you see this picture.

Maybe just camera angle? IDK.

I am just glad it is finally here! :party: It has been extra boring for me this year being out of the country.

Thanks for all the video clips RIR!

Maybe just camera angle? IDK.

Could be, or last year's numbers may no longer be accurate. Corey is said to be the biggest gym rat on the team. Also, 5 lbs is nothing.

Neither guy looks very big but, judging by that picture, I'd put good money on Grant being bigger than CAP this year. I'm really hoping Barber can be our "big back" this year. When does the full roster come out?

I don't understand why people aren't excited about CAP. Last year everyone was hoping he would get the start over Tre, and look what Tre did. Now people are wanting Grant, Barber, or even Roc. They'll all get touches, but CAP is a proven senior, he earned the right to start, and I honestly think he'll get close to Tre's numbers from last year.

After watching the TAM game the other night, I'm convinced CAP can do the tough inside running….probably won't get as many touches as Trey did last and if we plan to throw it a little more, we will be running less anyway….but I feel good with him 'totting' the ball...

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

Five games? Pchamp is that you?? That's probably the dumbest / least informed post I've seen here all year.

I don't understand why people aren't excited about CAP. Last year everyone was hoping he would get the start over Tre, and look what Tre did. Now people are wanting Grant, Barber, or even Roc. They'll all get touches, but CAP is a proven senior, he earned the right to start, and I honestly think he'll get close to Tre's numbers from last year.

Just the nature of the message boards. The guy on the bench is always more "attractive" than the one on the field to some people.

People(not so much on this board) still wanted JJ starting mid-to-late last season whenever Marshall made a mistake.

Plenty of people are excited about CAP. I'm excited about all the RBs. Now, there are some who are hoping that this player or that player gets the start- you seem to hope that CAP gets the nod over the other guys- but I think the majority of folks are just thrilled to have the depth that we seem to have.

I have argued plenty that Corey could get the nod, but that's all I'm arguing- that all our guys are capable, and that Corey shouldn't be written off as one type of back while CAP is expected to be another type. Folks need to quit trying to squeeze every player into one of their few, narrowly defined silos.

We have 4, maybe 5 NFL-caliber RBs on our roster. I will be happy with whoever starts, because he will have earned it. There's no doubt about that.

Not everybody. I told everybody who would listen and I got into plenty of debates telling people Mason was the best back we have. And to be honest nobody knows if CAP has earned a right to start or not

Agree with both cole and McLoofus - CAP was impressive in the 2013 A-Day game but Mason was the only experienced RB on the roster in 2013 and was basically the default starter. He had earned that spot based on his performance from 2012 - just over 1,000 yards in that dumpster fire of an offense was pretty darn impressive - as such he was, in reality, one of the best returning RBs in the SEC. By midseason, there was no reason to take carries away from Mason - who was the hot hand at that time - to give to CAP. As a result CAP's numbers fell off dramatically. That doesn't mean he was a bad RB, but if he was as good or better than Mason, he would have played alot more early on.

This year, CAP is more experienced and better conditioned and therefore better suited to plug into that #1 RB role than he was last year. He'll be ready to go but I'm skeptical of CAP getting close to the same numbers that Tre had in 2013. Part of Mason's success has to do with the type of back that he was - not too big but physical enough to run well between the tackles, with an excellent sense of timing and patience, the ability to explode through a hole and better than average RB speed. He was the very definition of an everydown back in Malzahn's offense because he could do it all. I don't think CAP has that speed that Mason did though he does have the physicality to run between the tackles and I think he's also a better pass catcher out of the backfield. I'm thinking that Grant could end up pulling alot more carries this year considering his size and speed combo - he may end up being the best combination for the offense in 2014.

Pretty sure we'll start out just like we did last season -- using multiple backs in multiple ways -- until Gus and Rhett settle on someone to carry the bulk of the load. I expect that person to emerge by/in the K-State game.

Won't be surprised if it's CAP; won't be too surprised if it's someone else. We have some great backs competing for playing time.

With all these injuries and the schedule, I don't see how there's any way we can make the playoff. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly see this team losing five games. JUST MY OPINION.

Are you a troll, or just that dumb?

Just like last year it will depend on who gives that second effort. CAP and Grant will get the most touches. Barber could be a third down and short back. Look for Roc to get touches on ST to start with, Pettaway might play some ST or RS . One thing I think most miss is Grant is the same weight as Tre was and only 5 pounds lighter than CAP. He is very durable and is a homerun threat every time he touches it. A lot will depend on who stays healthy and who gives the second effort. WDE

Just like last year it will depend on who gives that second effort. CAP and Grant will get the most touches. Barber could be a third down and short back. Look for Roc to get touches on ST to start with, Pettaway might play some ST or RS . One thing I think most miss is Grant is the same weight as Tre was and only 5 pounds lighter than CAP. He is very durable and is a homerun threat every time he touches it. A lot will depend on who stays healthy and who gives the second effort. WDE

Agreed.

Are you a troll, or just that dumb?

In all honesty, he may be right about not making the playoffs. I have all faith in Auburn to win every game, but the chances of that happening are fairly low. The injury thing is actually something to worry about as well. We sort of turn the blind eye to Lawson and Kozan(2 players in the top 200 college players IMO) and tell ourselves we will be fine without them, but in all reality the injuries could continue (see Georgia and Florida of 2013...knock on wood. Losing 5 games may be pushing it a little though. Don't get your hopes and expectations too high! Everytime I do they get crushed. Anyway War Eagle!

P.S. Auburn is going to be the first team to go 15-0

Pretty sure we'll start out just like we did last season -- using multiple backs in multiple ways -- until Gus and Rhett settle on someone to carry the bulk of the load. I expect that person to emerge by/in the K-State game.

Won't be surprised if it's CAP; won't be too surprised if it's someone else. We have some great backs competing for playing time.

Yup.

Yup.

Neither guy looks very big but, judging by that picture, I'd put good money on Grant being bigger than CAP this year. I'm really hoping Barber can be our "big back" this year. When does the full roster come out?

already out

already out

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aub-m-footbl-mtt.html

Grant & Payne both still listed at their same weights as last season. Not sure if we should expect any changes or not.

It will be about who protects the ball the best and who can get that extra yard or two each play

I'm hoping Malzahn gives them similar roles that Cadillac and Ronnie had. Caddy was the same size CG is. Ronnie I think was around 230 lbs though.

Archived