Judge rules in favor of O'Bannon

tombigbeetiger

But you, as an intern, are highly replaceable. That is why you don't get paid. Not because of price fixing or amateurism.

An athlete is replaceable as well. The next level (NFL) gets the big bucks, the college level is their internship for that opportunity to show they have what it takes to get drafted or to be signed as a free agent. They can be replaced, if they aren't cut out for the NFL they can always get their degree, not to mention the transfer rate in CFB today. That is why I used the internship analogy. Those games look absolutely nothing like the players at all, other than having correct numbers. Heights and weights weren't even exact, not to mention equipment. This isn't like Madden where there is major face detail, equipment and accessory details etc. NCAA was always just generic faces and randomized equipment. Like I said earlier the only way those rosters were even close to realistic were bc of game console users choosing to edit the rosters themselves for free.

Sorry thats just how I feel, they already get plenty of free stuff, and great opportunities both academically and athletically.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number of people willing to run stats at a basketball game or hold a camera for the jumbo tron or step onto Eagle Eye for free dwarfs the number of elite high school athletes.

The number of people willing to run stats at a basketball game or hold a camera for the jumbo tron or step onto Eagle Eye for free dwarfs the number of elite high school athletes.

So were supposed to support giving players $ bc they have "elite" talent? I can guarantee you there are guys on the team that may be a little less talented but are just honored to play the game, and to have an opportunity to play for the school they love instead of worrying about compensation. Just like I can tell you from experience there are people willing to do the things you listed, but most of them do not stick around bc of the nature of work, the time you have to dedicate to it, and a lack of compensation. The people who stick those times out are the ones who end up reaping the rewards of their hard work.

This is the last time I am posting about this lol. My points, and I will leave it at that.

1. The games do not express enough detail for players to receive compensation

2. Athletes already have plenty of perks from a free education, to unlimited food, tutors provided, as well as getting good treatment/connections in the progression of their non football careers, and then the opportunity to further their career in football.

3. CFB is about passion and pageantry, playing for a school, a fan base, and a community. Thats why they talk about saturdays in the fall and not sundays in the fall bc of the amateurism, the playing for the love the game and the love of a school.

and lastly

4. This just opens doors for possibilities in the future, not trying to predict it, just saying there are more possibilities down the road of things being added to this to benefit athletes, as Bannon said, "its only the tip of the iceberg".

I digress.

I don't know of any networks offering multi-million dollar deals to show interns competing against other interns.

If you buy Maverick's analogy of the NCAA as an internship for the NFL, then ESPN has built an empire off of interns playing each other.

I don't know of any networks offering multi-million dollar deals to show interns competing against other interns.

If you buy Maverick's analogy of the NCAA as an internship for the NFL, then ESPN has built an empire off of interns playing each other.

Good thing I don't buy it. ;)

They do pay the announcers that broadcast the games quite well. How much do intern broadcasters make? Also the networks are making millions off the game.

It's the evil corporations paying the networks to advertise during the games, that make everyone wealthy!

Good thing I don't buy it. ;)

You both evidently misunderstood my point, nonetheless, we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't buy paying players either

Good thing I don't buy it. ;)/>

You both evidently misunderstood my point, nonetheless, we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't buy paying players either

I don't either. Let's turn the clock back to 1980, pay Head coaches $80k, broadcast a couple of games per team and charge $12 a ticket.

Universities allowed themselves to get in this position. It is unfortunate, but understandable.

Good thing I don't buy it. ;)/>

I don't either. Let's turn the clock back to 1980, pay Head coaches $80k, broadcast a couple of games per team and charge $12 a ticket.

Universities allowed themselves to get in this position. It is unfortunate, but understandable.

In a way you are both right. We took a sport that was about college Football, Love of School, a chance for an education and we turned it into a professional league. The schools being the Jerry Jones of the NFL. Ever Greater TV Revenue, Coaches getting multi-million Dollar contracts plus other compensation, Kids getting scholarships who didn't develop fast enough or fit the system so getting processed.

I would like to know how many times myself included I have heard people saying processing is part of the game. We used to talk about the game building character, teamwork, preparing you for life. Now thanks to the college game and recruiting that goes on we have High School Prima Donnas who think they are owed something. While I still think the majority of players play for the love of the sport and are not Prima Donnas, money has changed the game. We allowed it to happen. But the game I grew up playing then watching once my talent level said you can't go any further has changed. I don't know the total impact of the ruling only time will tell. But when Schools decided money was more important than the game this was inevitable.

I expect to see 2 levels of college football the big teams with money who will hire their players they will use fancy language to say they are not professionals and the rest of the schools who will probably decide enough is enough and go back to college football like it used to be with coaches getting teacher salaries and players getting 4 year Scholarships and not getting processed.

Archived