Why not us?

WFE12

Who says auburn can't be a dominant team on offense AND defense?...no more letting teams comeback so easily,need to demand respect,we have it on offense we need it on defense..all this talk about our offense is great but i want to have our D resemble our O and I believe that starts this season, War Eagle!

I hope our defensive players are as sick of hearing about their defeciencies and how they will cost us another run at the crown as I am. All I have heard all summer is about our defense and our schedule. Do any of the talking heads realize Auburn has been to two BCS Title games in the last 4 years with subpar defenses because Gus's offense is so dominant? If injuries dont drail us I think the D will be greatly improved and if its not I will be disappointed.

Maybe when we have as season without going a decade without a fairly good defense we can hope for a dominant defense. But since Tuberville left defenses have been very disappointing. Try to think of the last team with a dominant offense and defense. FSU last year may work (even though Auburn scored 31 on them), but outside of them, who comes to mind? Head coaches generally bring their strength and it clearly shows. I thought Chizik would've brought a dominant defense, because I recall his defenses from 2002 - 2004 (2004 was the greatest by far), but boy was I wrong. I would love it if he would consider being a DC again, but I certainly wouldn't expect it at Auburn after being a Head Coach.

I really believe Chizik rode coattails everywhere he went. It's very questionable if he was ever truly responsible for a good defense when you look at his career as a whole. It seems in every place he was either under a great defensive mind, or briefly took over what a great defensive coach left behind (be it scheme, players or both like 2002-2004). He's a great guy, but he seemed to always fall into the right jobs until he became a HC.

Maybe when we have as season without going a decade without a fairly good defense we can hope for a dominant defense. But since Tuberville left defenses have been very disappointing. Try to think of the last team with a dominant offense and defense. FSU last year may work (even though Auburn scored 31 on them), but outside of them, who comes to mind? Head coaches generally bring their strength and it clearly shows. I thought Chizik would've brought a dominant defense, because I recall his defenses from 2002 - 2004 (2004 was the greatest by far), but boy was I wrong. I would love it if he would consider being a DC again, but I certainly wouldn't expect it at Auburn after being a Head Coach.

2011 LSU Alabama

2012 UF Alabama

2013 Florida (pre injury)

that's just SEC schools. Its definitely still possible to have one.

We haven't had a defense anyone is remotely afraid of in a decade. We've had a few really good individual players filter through, but never a good defense. It's been beyond frustrating to me for a while now. Until I see something different out there on the field, I'm expecting more of the same. Losing Dee Ford and Carl Lawson and apparently Therezie for a while isn't going to help.

Yes I understand college football is moving into more of an offensive era. And with all the rule changes and other factors it's going to be harder and harder to have a truly dominant defense. But lord I'm so tired of seeing Auburn defenses just being gaped up and down the field on a consistent basis. And I guess we can hope and wish all we want but until we turn it around on the field it will be the reality.

Reminder: Four seasons of below average defensive coaching doesn't get fixed overnight. There were other important statistical categories that showed improvement from 2012, and get overshadowed quite often by the more popular total yardage and points allowed.

Barring serious injury rash, there's no reason not to expect further improvement this season and beyond with the talent that has been stockpiled and coaching in place.

I suspect in 2015 defense to be stellar. Lawson and Adam's class will then be upperclassmen along with some rising seniors from the '12 class (if they are not NFL bound). '15 D has the potential to be the first to resemble a Tubby-era defense.

Yes I understand college football is moving into more of an offensive era. And with all the rule changes and other factors it's going to be harder and harder to have a truly dominant defense. But lord I'm so tired of seeing Auburn defenses just being gaped up and down the field on a consistent basis. And I guess we can hope and wish all we want but until we turn it around on the field it will be the reality.

yep....exactly what im talkin about, i wanna see more three-and-outs

Archived