Classes begin ...

RunInRed

My first day of class as an Auburn student... not a fun day

Think of it as a job.

(I know you will ignore this but it's good advice nonetheless.)

Good advise !!

Easy to give when you are 63 instead of 18 - with the hormones to match! :laugh:

It's a shame the college opportunity is wasted on people too young to really appreciate it, much less take full advantage of it.

(That was true for me as well.)

Think of it as a job.

One of the smartest and most respected men I know saw most of his classmates go to work in the car factories in Flint, MI. He made the decision that if his friends were working 40 hours a week at their jobs, he was going to spend 40 hours a week studying. A very wise decision, and it paid off in spades.

Think of it as a job.

One of the smartest and most respected men I know saw most of his classmates go to work in the car factories in Flint, MI. He made the decision that if his friends were working 40 hours a week at their jobs, he was going to spend 40 hours a week studying. A very wise decision, and it paid off in spades.

My advice is to get up in the morning and be on-campus no later than 8:00 am for class, the library, or extra curricular activities and don't return "home" before at least 4:00 in the afternoon, and do that every day. Stick to that and you will keep up academically as well as have plenty of free time.

Stay away from fraternities and sororities. (IMO)

Wow...great pix and a beautiful campus....thanks RR

My first day at AU, June 5, 1959...my parents drove up from the Gulf Coast to Alabama Polytechnic Institute... dropped me off at Mag Hall and kissed me good bye.....and headed back home....I had never seen the school and did not know another soul on the entire campus. Not the best day of my life. :'( Summer quarter was dead on campus....but I survived it....

WDE to those lucky students who have the privilege of attending Auburn University.

My first day at AU, June 5, 1959...my parents drove up from the Gulf Coast to Alabama Polytechnic Institute... dropped me off at Mag Hall and kissed me good bye.....and headed back home....I had never seen the school and did not know another soul on the entire campus. Not the best day of my life. :'(/> Summer quarter was dead on campus....but I survived it....

WDE to those lucky students who have the privilege of attending Auburn University.

I was 10 years behind you Fall of 1969. I graduated from Mission Bay High School in Mission Bay, California. I had never been to the State of Alabama until the day I arrived on Campus without my parents Mom was in Mission Bay watching younger sister and Dad was overseas with the US Navy. I was 17 years old excited and scared my first day was a bummer but it didn't take long for Auburn to win me over.

I agree with your sentiments WDE to all the Students lucky enough to attend Auburn.

Started the fall of 2013. I have a co-op job this semester back home and I miss Auburn already!!

Although you thought it wasn't a fun day, the day will come when you look back and consider it one of the best days of your life. One piece of advise, learn how to study college material. The key there is to keep up with your classwork every day. Enjoy your Auburn undergrad experience, it goes by way too fast.

My first day at AU, June 5, 1959...my parents drove up from the Gulf Coast to Alabama Polytechnic Institute... dropped me off at Mag Hall and kissed me good bye.....and headed back home....I had never seen the school and did not know another soul on the entire campus. Not the best day of my life. :'(/> Summer quarter was dead on campus....but I survived it....

I was 10 years behind you Fall of 1969. I graduated from Mission Bay High School in Mission Bay, California. I had never been to the State of Alabama until the day I arrived on Campus without my parents Mom was in Mission Bay watching younger sister and Dad was overseas with the US Navy. I was 17 years old excited and scared my first day was a bummer but it didn't take long for Auburn to win me over.

I agree with your sentiments WDE to all the Students lucky enough to attend Auburn.

If you had never been to Alabama, how did you end up at Auburn from California? Sounds like a great story.

I started 41 years ago, 1973, drove down from Birmingham in my parents' 1965 Chevy Belair, scared to death. First one in my family to go to college. We were still on the quarter system and if I recall correctly tuition was about $300. It's gone up just a tad since.

I started 41 years ago, 1973, drove down from Birmingham in my parents' 1965 Chevy Belair, scared to death. First one in my family to go to college. We were still on the quarter system and if I recall correctly tuition was about $300. It's gone up just a tad since.

Full-time tuition (in-state) was $330/quarter when I started in 1979. I marvel at that every time I have to pay for my kids' tuition.

I wish I could have stayed for my Masters. Being on a different campus in the Fall is weird. However, MTSU does play Auburn in Hoops this year.

Full-time tuition (in-state) was $330/quarter when I started in 1979. I marvel at that every time I have to pay for my kids' tuition.

Indeed how the times have changed.....$50 tuition per quarter and I could go to school for about $300 per quarter...room, board, books....the whole shooting match and money for sports...football tickets were about $5 for parents and a buck for students and a dollar for basketball....think baseball might have been free or so little I don't remember. Of course I was making $1.40 per hour on my co-op job and living at home, could just save enough money for a quarter of school....have never felt richer in my life.

I started in '75. Not the best of times in football but it was a pretty good party time on The Plains. I already loved Auburn but attending school there really makes you appreciate how special Auburn University really is. I envy all of you guys who are just starting out. Enjoy your time at Auburn and follow the good advice previously given by posters. #WDE

I started in the fall of 1977, so I might know some of you old folks! My parents drove me down from Chattanooga and dropped me off. I didn't know anyone except the girl I'd met over the summer who was in the room next to me. I was balling my eyes out when she got there. But the bad news was that she was leaving for the weekend. She was going to Tuscaloosa to visit a boyfriend. She felt sorry for me, so she invited me along. I went! I spent my first weekend in college in Tuscaloosa, not Auburn. I learned to hate that place very early. The people she went to visit were jerks! And I don't care if I ever step foot there again!

I started in the Fall of 2012. Currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering with a Business Minor. It's tough, but I wouldn't trade a day of the past few years for anything, cancer and hip replacement and all. Auburn is a great place folks, a lot of people really don't realize how fantastic of a place it is. Now, if we could just figure out how to improve Parking Services............... *cue Mission Impossible theme song*

This is my first post.

I remember the first day of my first year. A long time ago now.

BSME December 1975 and still working today.

I have been an Auburn fan for as long as I can remember.

War Eagle!

I started in the Fall of 2012. Currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering with a Business Minor. It's tough, but I wouldn't trade a day of the past few years for anything, cancer and hip replacement and all. Auburn is a great place folks, a lot of people really don't realize how fantastic of a place it is. Now, if we could just figure out how to improve Parking Services............... *cue Mission Impossible theme song*

$180 bucks and luck..........fixed!

Good luck to everyone at Auburn! WAR EAGLE!

Archived