Note on Auburn Run-Defense

StatTiger

He can't resist. Even in the face of obvious improvement in the area being discussed. He had to change the subject to find a way to criticize our coach.

It's because I'm a poorly closeted Bammer.

I think the stats here are a bit deceiving. Our defense would often rise to the challenge when we needed them and we can attribute many stands they made to us winning games. 2012 didn't have that capability. Just looking at the defense and the way they played last year, they flew to the ball and tackled better. They actually looked competent for the most part save for the trash plays they would give up every now and then. I think if we were to watch a game from 2012 and then from 2013 we'd easily see a difference. I know because I've done it. We trash the 2013 defense way more than we should.

Auburn improved in 12 of the 13 major statistical categories. I agree the defense was in much better shape than 2012 but is still not where Ellis Johnson wants it to be.

I think the stats here are a bit deceiving. Our defense would often rise to the challenge when we needed them and we can attribute many stands they made to us winning games. 2012 didn't have that capability. Just looking at the defense and the way they played last year, they flew to the ball and tackled better. They actually looked competent for the most part save for the trash plays they would give up every now and then. I think if we were to watch a game from 2012 and then from 2013 we'd easily see a difference. I know because I've done it. We trash the 2013 defense way more than we should.

Auburn improved in 12 of the 13 major statistical categories. I agree the defense was in much better shape than 2012 but is still not where Ellis Johnson wants it to be.

I agree 100%. I think we often forget to put it in perspective, forgetting where they were before CEJ became DC. I saw a lackadaisical, completely incompetent defense in 2012 become one that could sack Johnny Football on 4th and long, stop Alabama inside the redzone, and make the Heisman trophy winner look completely lost. Huge progress was made, and it shouldn't go unoticed or unappreciated.

Archived