What was your favorite loss?

BamaGrad03

...that you attended? I know it sounds funny...but what game do you remember going to and having the most fun, in a loss?

Mine is easy:

2003 OU/Bama - Great GREAT crowd. Awesome atmosphere. I sat in the OU section and had a blast.

runner up? This year's iron bowl. Excellent game for the most part. Great crowd considering the weather...all around great weekend. Sat in the AU section and it didnt even matter.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Do ties count?

1990 Auburn - UT. Stan White leads a great comeback to tie the Vols in the 4th. I predicted that night he would win the Heisman before he graduated. Looks like I missed on that one. But he had a hell of an up and down career. I bet he wouldn't trade that Sr season for anything.

Y'all going to think I'm sick, but I think my favorite one was last year's Ole Miss game.

The feeling of the air being sucked out of that stadium when Ben dropped the winning TD will stay with me the rest of my life. The whole walk back to the truck I was saying all that happened was a dropped ball, what's the big deal. I kept telling WT, "despite how crappy we feel, imagine how Obamanu feels". We thought about it and I think a lot of Auburn folks thought about it and it pulled the Auburn family together.

Getting drummed by the Bulldogs the next week seemed totally in character after the disappointment from the week before.

When CW "went crazy" you could feel the phoenix rizing. Then when Obamanu 3 Obamanu 2 Obamanu 1 Obamanu SCORES was bellowed over the airwaves by Bramlett & Co. you kind of knew a new day was upon us. Most folks stuck together and got behind CTT during the Petrinogate and let their voices be heard. We haven't lost since. I think the disappointment of the Ole Miss loss for me was a new beginning for the Auburn Spirit that has permeated throughout this team this season.

War Damn Eagle.

Bring on the Hokies.

I've never enjoyed being at a game we lost. Of the recent ones that I've seen, I can't remember enjoying any of them.

2003 - USC and ole miss games were horrible performances.

2002 - arky was very disappointing (too many TOs) and uga was a heartbreaker, esp. after watching gibson push off like he did on the play before the TD.

2001 - bammer was probably the most angry I've ever been.

2000 - didn't attend a loss

1999 - watching and ole miss beat us in JH was miserable. we kinda knew we were going to lose to fla and bammer that year, but to get as close as we did and fall short was rough.

1998 - the whole season was just exasperating. I had almost no joy in my life that fall.

I'd say its a toss up between the 03 Ole Miss game and the 02 UGA game. Both were really good games (UGA was a little better in my mind), and they just go to show you can't win them all.

I'd say its a toss up between the 03 Ole Miss game and the 02 UGA game.  Both were really good games (UGA was a little better in my mind), and they just go to show you can't win them all.

130052[/snapback]

i would have to agree with these. wonderful games. wonderful atmosphere. just horrible endings.

IN 2004....AUBURN.....DID......RISE! :au: 2004 SEC CHAMPIONS!

Chinook, you took the words out of my mouth. 94' UGA tie. I've never been to a rivalry game like that where the fans of both schools were having such a good time together. A UGA motor home parked next to us in the old drill field. There was a home-made platform on top with rails and they came pouring out of that bus, set up a stereo on top and proceeded to rip it up. My brother-in-law was on top, wearing a Beevis mask while dancing with 2 very fine bullpuppies.

Great time "tailgating" with some great folks.

i hate to loose, but the only time after a loss i felt ok about it was the citrus bowl w/ michigan. i really felt like we were going to get killed. leard missed worthy by about 2" or auburn wins that one.

The '02 Florida game in Gainesville. 23-9 in the fourth quarter, everybody's pissed about Tubby pulling a fake punt in AU territory. Then we score. JC runs it in for two. 23-15. We score again. Another two points. 23-23. Damon Duval trots out with 25 seconds left. The AU Band (me included) screaming "We gonna win the game!! We gonna win the game!" We all know what happened next... :puke:

That 4th quarter showed to me that JC was ready to be the full-time starter. I'll take that ending on the road over a 23-9 pasting anyday.

I gotta' agree with jaydubb. The '03 om game stands out in my many memories of games at JH.

WE both agreed that night that these kids had the "right stuff" and things happen for a reason. If Ben had caught that ball, we would have been 9-5 in '03.

I would not trade 9-5 last season for 12-0 THIS season.

Can't wait for jaydubb and I to make the "road trip" to the Big Easy. This TEAM will somehow.....Get us to 13-0 ! ! !

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time. :au:

Damn. This is tough.

I would say after we lost the UF game in 2002.

I turned 20 and went to the "Landing" in Jacksonville, which is where everyone goes after the game for drinks and several bars, and got hammered drunk by Florida fans feeling bad for me (and they thought it was my 21st.).

The Michigan Citrus Bowl game wasn't a difficult loss to take...I felt like we played about as well as we could.

The '90 Tennessee tie was a great comeback...we were down 26-9 early in the 4th quarter and RSFr QB Stan White brings us back from the brink to earn a draw. Some ties feel like losses ('87 Tennessee, '94 Georgia), but that tie felt like a win. Matter of fact, it is the only time I ever remember Toomer's getting rolled after a non-win.

The Aggie part of me puts the 2000 OU game in that category...35-31 loss to the eventual national champions. Gut-wrenching ending after having a 31-21 lead, but one of the two or three best games I have ever seen.

2002 USC--Went out to the Coliseum. Groaned when Robert Baker dropped a wide-open, possible-touchdown pass. Then Cobb missed by about a foot with a pass in the endzone close to the end. (We only lost by 7.)

Crowd was great and the Trojan fans kept commenting on what spirited, fun fans the Auburns were.

i've got a few losses that i enjoyed the game and wasn't terribly heartbroken after we lost. 02 usc, that was a pretty fun game. traffic after was ridiculous, but i felt like we would've won if caddy hadn't tweaked a hammy in the 3rd.

the michigan citrus bowl. i think that was the easiest i've ever taken a loss. we were so outmatched talentwise that meeeeechigan fans left mader than auburn folks.

i'd also say the losses like '02 florida and georgia were great games that i'm very glad i got to see. i was so furious after the ole miss loss last year, but not b/c we lost. ben's a friend of mine, and i swear i would've gladly taken a bat to 90% of the students around me. they didn't have any right to talk about him like a dog for dropping a ball. i think that's one of the first times in my life where i really realized that the players were 100times more important than the game.

my number one favorite loss i attended was: 1996 uga! the overtime dual between robert edwards and dameyune craig. both teams knew what the other was going to do, we were setting up in shotgun to let dameyune freelance and they were handing it off to edwards every down. it went what 3 ots? we were a pretty good, not great team so i just don't remember it hurting as bad as most losses. fun game to watch.

96 :uga: was great........except for the 4th overtime! wasn't that Mike Bobo who threw that pass? still can't believe the dude caught it @ the goal line. ouch. i do remember we went back to dorm & watched the bama, MSU game afterwards. only highlight of the night was MSU 17, Bama 16. Go Dogs! :big:

Archived