Interesting article on the KSU scheduling prep for next Thursday.

AUsince72

http://www.kansas.co...cle1948538.html

A couple nice quotes:

“Our fans tell me all the time how much fun they had going to Auburn (a 23-13 loss in 2007). It would have been tough not to play that game here. It’s too good an opportunity for our football program and our university.”

“This will likely be our greatest attended game ever. We actually have not sold standing room-only tickets, because we know our student section will be as full as it has ever been that night. Student attendance is highest on weekdays.”

Glad to see AU represented itself well 7 years ago and it's REALLY nice to see that Gus as AU as a "big draw" again!!

Man it is going to be ROCKING in Manhattan next Thursday. We need to come out fast and score early to get the crowd out of it.

Oh yeah, and not blow a lead after we are up by 14.

Great article, thanks for posting!

This quote sums up this past weekend for the SEC: "Currie says K-State will continue to schedule creatively while honoring Snyder’s desire to play nonconference games at home against mostly inferior competition, allowing the Wildcats to warm up for Big 12 games."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article1948538.html#storylink=cpy"

Great article, thanks for posting!

This quote sums up this past weekend for the SEC: "Currie says K-State will continue to schedule creatively while honoring Snyder’s desire to play nonconference games at home against mostly inferior competition, allowing the Wildcats to warm up for Big 12 games."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.co...#storylink=cpy"

Not to mention something to show Big12 fans regarding the perception that only SEC schools schedule inferior non-conference games.

When they scheduled this game they were probably considering us inferior competition ;) What a few years does to a team. I think USC was really down when Auburn scheduled them for the 2003 game and they were a power house when they finally arrived. You just never know.

This is not a home and home is it?

If my memory serves correctly, the original intent was a home and home, but for some reason they left the return date open-ended. As the article states, apparently some at K-State wanted out of it but alas they made it happen.

If my memory serves correctly, the original intent was a home and home, but for some reason they left the return date open-ended. As the article states, apparently some at K-State wanted out of it but alas they made it happen.

I thought this is the second half of the home and home series. KSU visited JHS in 2007(?)

I thought this is the second half of the home and home series. KSU visited JHS in 2007(?)

That's how I remember it as well. What's failing me is why it took so long for them to schedule the return trip... :dunno:

Man it is going to be ROCKING in Manhattan next Thursday. We need to come out fast and score early to get the crowd out of it.

and not wait until the 2nd half to play consistent defense...

I would like to see Auburn Dominate so heavily that this game is on Sports Center for being a massive blowout of epic proportions. Treating a Big 12 team like an FCS team.

This ^^^

I'm going to the game, and from what my friend tells me (she's an alum), they can get pretty rowdy. From the looks of it, I may end up getting a ticket in the north endzone, as they are the cheapest atm and seems like an OK spot. My fingers are crossed that someone will sell me a ticket at face though. I'm ready to yell my head off. I've had this game circled since they came to Auburn in 07.

That's how I remember it as well. What's failing me is why it took so long for them to schedule the return trip... :dunno:

Take this for what it's worth as it's mostly fragmented information I have gathered from a few other AU boards since '07.

Supposedly there are a few reasons.

AU officials were not terribly thrilled about playing a road game in Snyder Family Stadium, and were pressing strongly for the game to be played in Arrowhead since it holds a greater seating capacity, thus allowing more tickets to be allocated for Auburn fans. AU felt it was not financially beneficial to lose out on the opportunity for an 8th home game for a road trip to K-State, whose seating capacity is smaller than Mississippi State's. When K-State began slipping back into mediocrity under Ron Prince, officials from both schools questioned if the game was still worth playing, when a rent-a-win team was merely a phone call away that serves both schools' interest. In addition, AU wanted to make sure a Chan Gailey card wasn't pulled forcing them to hunt down an opponent at the 11th hour.

I presume when plans were chartered to develop SEC Network along with the increased revenue stream it was to be funneling was when AU finally determined the road trip would still be best for business. So this is why there was a 7-year gap in the home and home, and the contractual obligation for the K-State visit remained open ended for both schools.

Take this for what it's worth as it's mostly fragmented information I have gathered from a few other AU boards since '07.

Supposedly there are a few reasons.

AU officials were not terribly thrilled about playing a road game in Snyder Family Stadium, and were pressing strongly for the game to be played in Arrowhead since it holds a greater seating capacity, thus allowing more tickets to be allocated for Auburn fans. AU felt it was not financially beneficial to lose out on the opportunity for an 8th home game for a road trip to K-State, whose seating capacity is smaller than Mississippi State's. When K-State began slipping back into mediocrity under Ron Prince, officials from both schools questioned if the game was still worth playing, when a rent-a-win team was merely a phone call away that serves both schools' interest. In addition, AU wanted to make sure a Chan Gailey card wasn't pulled forcing them to hunt down an opponent at the 11th hour.

I presume when plans were chartered to develop SEC Network along with the increased revenue stream it was to be funneling was when AU finally determined the road trip would still be best for business. So this is why there was a 7-year gap in the home and home, and the contractual obligation for the K-State visit remained open ended for both schools.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the research and info.

Always love your avatars btw...

I'm just glad K state won't have Jordi Nelson out there out wide receiver!!! I had no clue who this skill position whitey was or Josh Freeman and they had good games.We see why now on sundays or atleast thats still the case with Nelson .If it wasn't for Quentin Groves and the crowd that night we could have very easily lost that game. It was one of Brandon Cox's medicore games that he would have 4x a season it seemed like. But those Tub defenses saved the day. I love scoring points now but miss having a feared defense so bad.Thats one thing Tuberville always had.I wish since he loves AU so much he would come back and be d coordinator,that would be a dream coaching staff.

and not wait until the 2nd half to play consistent defense...

I'm just glad K state won't have Jordi Nelson out there out wide receiver!!! I had no clue who this skill position whitey was or Josh Freeman and they had good games.We see why now on sundays or atleast thats still the case with Nelson .If it wasn't for Quentin Groves and the crowd that night we could have very easily lost that game. It was one of Brandon Cox's medicore games that he would have 4x a season it seemed like. But those Tub defenses saved the day. I love scoring points now but miss having a feared defense so bad.Thats one thing Tuberville always had.I wish since he loves AU so much he would come back and be d coordinator,that would be a dream coaching staff.

Couldn't agree more, Tubs could field a D like nobody's business! O was mediocre at best most years but our D was ferocious every year except his last. Hope we kill them and get their crowd out of the game early.

Archived