What is a Hokie?

RVTiger

Maybe a VT fan can tell us what a Hokie is.

We've played in several bowls where the opposing team has an unusual name. One year (1990 I think) we played Indiana. My eight year old daughter (she's now a senior at AU) couldn't find a single Indiana fan that could explain what a Hoosier was. We played Michigan a few years ago in the Capital One Bowl. My 12 year old son had fun with the Michigan fans. He asked several of them if a wolverine was really a girl wolf (I gave him this info).

How 'bout it VT fans? Explain to me before I go to NO and make a fool out of myself.

War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT'S A HOKIE?

The answer leads all the way back to 1896 when Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College changed its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute. With the change came the necessity for writing a new cheer and a contest for such a purpose was held by the student body.

Senior O.M. Stull won first prize for his "Hokie" yell which is still used today. Later, when asked if "Hokie" had any special meaning, Stull explained the word was solely the product of his imagination and was used only as an attention-getter for his yell. It soon became a nickname for all Tech teams and for those people loyal to Tech athletics.

The official university school colors - Chicago Maroon  and Burnt Orange - also were introduced in 1896. The colors were chosen by a committee because they made a 'unique combination' not worn elsewhere at the time.

The official definition of "hokie" is "a loyal Virginia Tech Fan".

The HokieBird  The bird is a "HokieBird" which has evolved from a turkey.

Virginia Tech teams were once called the "gobblers"!

http://www.hokiesports.com/whatsahokie.html

WHAT'S A HOKIE?

Virginia Tech teams were once called the "gobblers"!

http://www.hokiesports.com/whatsahokie.html

131131[/snapback]

Some of us older alumni still say Fighting Gobblers so we got the War Eagles and the Fighting Gobblers looking for some sugar. :D

way back to 1896 when Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College changed its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

WOW! No offense to Virginia Tech, but we could have been called Alabama Tech! :blink: Thanks to the Lord above and those with the impeccable vision not to use the name Alabama Tech! :puke:

Auburn University sounds infinitely better! :big:

It's great to be an AUBURN TIGER! :au:

Well I got curious and went to dictionary.com...what I found is way too funny...

2 entries found for hokie.

Main Entry: hokie

Function: noun

Definition: an emasculated turkey

Well since I wasn't familiar with what 'emasculated' meant... I looked that one up too...

e·mas·cu·late    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-msky-lt)

tr.v. e·mas·cu·lat·ed, e·mas·cu·lat·ing, e·mas·cu·lates

To castrate.

To deprive of strength or vigor; weaken.

So guess who we are playing..??

The Castrated Turkeys!!

:roflol::roflol::lol::lol::P

Archived