Evidence shows Obama is responsible for epidemic

AUisAll

Well what did these people expect? When you allow some 60,000 or more people in that come from squalid conditions, poverty, very little hygiene, and all the rest, this is what happens. Nothing will stand in the way of his fundamental transformation. letting all these illegals in is part of that.

Well what did these people expect? When you allow some 60,000 or more people in that come from squalid conditions, poverty, very little hygiene, and all the rest, this is what happens. Nothing will stand in the way of his fundamental transformation. letting all these illegals in is part of that.

Good point but just to clarify...its was over 68K unaccompanied children and another 68K family units.

I understand that the flow of illegal aliens is a problem. I also understand some people don’t like Obama or his policies. I respect their right to hold that opinion, and actually encourage them and all other citizens to express their opinions at the ballot box on Tuesday.

But I don’t understand people who apparently cannot grasp the basic principles of science or logic making unproven claims about scientific matters.

Taking some of the claims in this article point by point, let’s examine the science and logic:

First the headline: “Obama Border Policy Fueled Epidemic, Evidence Shows”. That headline makes a definitive statement--“Obama policy fueled epidemic”--that article itself admits is unproven due to insufficient evidence at the moment. The rest of the article repeatedly states that the evidence is not definite, and further research is needed. Either the headline is a lie, or much of the body of the article is a lie. (All they had to do, if striving to be "fair and balanced" journalists, was insert the words 'may have' between 'policy' and 'fueled'.)

Secondly, a fundamental principle in science and logic is that “Correlation does not imply causation”! Yes, the outbreak of the EV-D68 epidemic occurred around the same time as an influx of illegals across our southern border. The fact that those events occurred around the same time in no way implies one caused the other.

Some other non-scientific assertions/inferences in the article:

The evidence includes admissions from top health officials that the epidemic included multiple strains of the virus, and that it appeared simultaneously in multiple independent locations.
If anything, the appearance of multiple strains occurring simultaneously at multiple places is evidence against a common source or transmission vector.
The question can be settled if federal researchers study the genetic fingerprint of the EV-D68 viruses that first hit kids in Colorado, Missouri and Illinois to see if they are close relatives to the EV-D68 viruses found in Central America.
Even if the genetic fingerprints are similar (something as yet unknown), that does not identify one particular vector of transmission (e.g., illegal immigrants) as the cause. How many Americans vacation in places like Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Rica, etc. every year, then return to the U.S.? How many of them also travel inland for rain forest adventures or sightseeing at archeological ruins? How many church groups travel to Central America for missionary/service trips, which bring them into contact with the poor, the undernourished, and those without adequate medical care before returning home? (I have two nieces and a good friend who have been making such trips with their respective church groups almost every summer.)

The article also seems critical of experts for NOT jumping to the same conclusions as the article, or not speculating on issues not yet proven scientifically:

"A series of government researchers, health experts and academics refused to comment, or else urged self-censorship, when they were pressed by TheDC for statistical and scientific data that would exonerate Obama and his deputies.

I would just steer away from that— it is not helpful, so why bring it up,” said Lone Simonsen, a professor at George Washington University’s Department of Global Health and the research director of the university’s Global Epidemiology Program. “A better angle [is] ‘We’re just learning what this outbreak is all about,’” she told TheDC.

Columbia University researcher Rafal Tokarz, one of the nation’s top experts on the EV-D68 virus, declined to comment to TheDC about the impact of Obama’s border policies. “I cannot comment… and at this time it would not be appropriate for me to do so… I would really rather not comment,” he said…”

Reserving judgment until the evidence is collected/evaluated and hypotheses confirmed or rejected is part of science. Why criticize scientists for doing what they’re supposed to do?

And about that "statistical and scientific data that would exonerate Obama":

The DC article itself spends much of its time saying the evidence (for illegals as the source of the epidemic) is unclear and should be examined more intensely, then wants to criticize the experts for not producing evidence that would “exonerate" Obama? Actually, until the cause of the epidemic is better understood, there is nothing yet definitive regarding the cause of the epidemic for which the President needs exoneration. What happened to the basic principle in this country of “innocent until proven guilty”? How and why should anyone be expected to “exonerate” themselves for things unproven that may not even be real? The burden of proof is on those who wish to call POTUS guilty.

It is okay to dislike and oppose Obama's immigration policies and actions. It is not okay to make up unverified scientific claims to attack anyone, President or private citizen, especially about something as emotionally painful for victims and their families as infectious disease.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finally, I question The Daily Caller as a legitimate news source anyway. Just on the single linked page alone, I count no less than ten links to stories of little news value but obviously designed to raise prurient interest:

“How Low Will These Ladies Tops Go?”… “Alessandria Ambrosio in Nothing but a Necktie”…“Naked Photos of Top Politicians” (particularly offensive and false since it consists only of fully dressed politicians with their private areas pixilated out)…“Paris Hilton’s Scandelous Halloween Costumes”…“Women of Other Countries Losing Their Shirts”…“Hottest Girls Who Play Sports”…“Insanely Attractive Offspring of Celebrities”…“Jennifer Lopez Does Bikinis”…“10 Celebs Who Went Full Frontal”…“This week's Hottest Woman on the Internet”.

For those who enjoy looking at the female body, that’s fine (I enjoy looking at a beautiful woman myself, but not disrespecting or de-humanizing them.). But it leaves me wondering if TheDC wants to be a respected news source, a supermarket tabloid, or a PG-13 version of Playboy.

Excellent, quietfan.

Thank you, but I fully expect it to fall on mostly deaf ears and closed minds. I suspect you have the same expectation. ;)

You lost 'em when you mentioned science and logic.

Eventualy once the politics around this have faded, we'll know more based on medical analysis.

I would say let the CDC prove or disprove how the virus was introduced, where and how, but the CDC's credibiltiy is not so great right now.

Eventualy once the politics around this have faded, we'll know more based on medical analysis.

I would say let the CDC prove or disprove how the virus was introduced, where and how, but the CDC's credibiltiy is not so great right now.

Speaking of the CDC, whatever happened to the ebola czar, Ron Klain? Did he go into a self imposed quarantine and shut off ALL communications with the world?

Quietfan, you make some good points and if you want to wait for test results to condemn the president’s policy that is your right.

I think we can connect the dots with the scientific facts we currently have to make a logical conclusion as to how Enterovirus EV-D68 got here.

• More than 1,000 children in 10 states -- Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia -- have suddenly become infected with a rare respiratory virus, not seen in the U.S. since the 1960s, called human Enterovirus EV-D68.
  • This mean not one Spring Breaker or tourist has come back from Mexico with this disease in the last 50+ years. I’m sure other diseases did come back during spring break. LOL
  • Pediatric enteroviral infections are most commonly spread through a fecal-to-oral route, they can also be transmitted via “respiratory and oral-to-oral route,” which is “more likely to occur in crowded living conditions.”
  • I think it’s well documented that the minors coming from Central America were placed in crowded living conditions.
  • It’s well documented that minors came from multiple Central American countries (El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, and Honduras). It has also been reported (not confirmed) that in the last 4 years, illegal migrants from 75+ countries have crossed the border. Hardly a common source. Could this also explain the different strains?

Sources:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/09/the_invasion_of_enterovirus_evd68.html

Even Dr. Frieden (Director of the CDC) acknowledged this risk in a memo on July 7, 2014.

As such, reports of illegal migrants carrying deadly diseases such as swine flu, dengue fever, Ebola virus, and tuberculosis are particularly concerning.

Other health concerns due to illegal migrants.

CDC reports biggest measles outbreak since 1996

Lynn officials: Illegal immigrant children are stressing city services

Lynn health center chief confirms tuberculosis case

Quietfan, you make some good points and if you want to wait for test results to condemn the president’s policy that is your right.

I think we can connect the dots with the scientific facts we currently have to make a logical conclusion as to how Enterovirus EV-D68 got here.

a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469x1.jpg

More than 1,000 children in 10 states -- Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia -- have suddenly become infected with a rare respiratory virus, not seen in the U.S. since the 1960s, called human Enterovirus EV-D68.

Wrong.

Since its discovery in 1962, EV68 had been described mostly sporadically in isolated cases. Six clusters (equal to or more than 10 cases) or outbreaks between 2005 and 2011 have been reported from the Philippines, Japan, the Netherlands, and the states of Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona in the United States.[6] EV68 was found in 2 of 5 children during a 2012/13 cluster of polio-like disease in California.[7]

This mean not one Spring Breaker or tourist has come back from Mexico with this disease in the last 50+ years. I’m sure other diseases did come back during spring break. LOL

Odd non-sequitur.

Pediatric enteroviral infections are most commonly spread through a fecal-to-oral route, they can also be transmitted via “respiratory and oral-to-oral route,” which is “more likely to occur in crowded living conditions.”

Fecal-oral transmission is very common with children in general. My four year old (three at the time) gave me shigellosis last year after it had been passed around her daycare.

That was a miserable week.

I think it’s well documented that the minors coming from Central America were placed in crowded living conditions.

Schools and daycares are crowded.

It’s well documented that minors came from multiple Central American countries (El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, and Honduras). It has also been reported (not confirmed) that in the last 4 years, illegal migrants from 75+ countries have crossed the border. Hardly a common source. Could this also explain the different strains?

Sources:

http://www.americant...irus_evd68.html

Blaming them for bringing a virus that we know was already here is just the newest brown scare.

a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469x1.jpg

More than 1,000 children in 10 states -- Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia -- have suddenly become infected with a rare respiratory virus, not seen in the U.S. since the 1960s, called human Enterovirus EV-D68.

Wrong.

Since its discovery in 1962, EV68 had been described mostly sporadically in isolated cases. Six clusters (equal to or more than 10 cases) or outbreaks between 2005 and 2011 have been reported from the Philippines, Japan, the Netherlands, and the states of Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona in the United States.[6] EV68 was found in 2 of 5 children during a 2012/13 cluster of polio-like disease in California.[7]

This mean not one Spring Breaker or tourist has come back from Mexico with this disease in the last 50+ years. I’m sure other diseases did come back during spring break. LOL

Odd non-sequitur.

Pediatric enteroviral infections are most commonly spread through a fecal-to-oral route, they can also be transmitted via “respiratory and oral-to-oral route,” which is “more likely to occur in crowded living conditions.”

Fecal-oral transmission is very common with children in general. My four year old (three at the time) gave me shigellosis last year after it had been passed around her daycare.

That was a miserable week.

I think it’s well documented that the minors coming from Central America were placed in crowded living conditions.

Schools and daycares are crowded.

It’s well documented that minors came from multiple Central American countries (El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, and Honduras). It has also been reported (not confirmed) that in the last 4 years, illegal migrants from 75+ countries have crossed the border. Hardly a common source. Could this also explain the different strains?

Sources:

http://www.americant...irus_evd68.html

Blaming them for bringing a virus that we know was already here is just the newest brown scare.

The CDC seemed to be very concerned about this in July. I don't think they were to concerned about the skin pigmentation of those carrying these diseases.

The CDC seemed to be very concerned about this in July. I don't think they were to concerned about the skin pigmentation of those carrying these diseases.

The CDC was concerned about EV-D68 in July? Funny. The only folks I've heard trying to tie it to illegal immigration have been the right wing fringes.

Wrong.

Ben, the cases you state in the US were in 2009 and 2010, about the time border enforcement was being relaxed by our president.

The CDC was concerned about EV-D68 in July? Funny. The only folks I've heard trying to tie it to illegal immigration have been the right wing fringes.

Please read the memo.

Even Dr. Frieden (Director of the CDC) acknowledged this risk in a memo on July 7, 2014.

Please read the memo.

I have. There's no mention of EV-D68 in the memo.

Wrong.

Ben, the cases you state in the US were in 2009 and 2010, about the time border enforcement was being relaxed by our president.

There have been other clusters. For instance, it was found in Michigan in 1987. It was first identified in this country in the 60s. Cases have been detected on a fairly common basis since it was first identified, and only the good lord knows how many cases went undetected. It commonly manifests as a severe cold.

Please read the memo.

EV-D68 didn't become an issue until later in the summer. While Dr. Frieden didn't list every possible disease we could see come over the border, it is implied other diseases could possibly enter this way too.

Please read the memo.

EV-D68 didn't become an issue until later in the summer. While Dr. Frieden didn't list every possible disease we could see come over the border, it is implied other diseases could possibly enter this way too.

Diseases more common to those parts of the world. EV-D68 is no more unique there than anywhere else.

Wrong.

There have been other clusters. For instance, it was found in Michigan in 1987. It was first identified in this country in the 60s. Cases have been detected on a fairly common basis since it was first identified, and only the good lord knows how many cases went undetected. It commonly manifests as a severe cold.

1987 is a better example. Got a link for that one. I had to dig to verify the Wiki link last time.

Please read the memo.

Diseases more common to those parts of the world. EV-D68 is no more unique there than anywhere else.

I know this post was started about Ev-D68, but to me the bigger picture are all the diseases Americans are being exposed to due to open borders. Just like Dr. Frieden said.

I know this post was started about Ev-D68, but to me the bigger picture are all the diseases Americans are being exposed to due to open borders. Just like Dr. Frieden said.

I don't think what you're linking says what you think it says. That's a letter from Representative Phil Gingrey (R-GA) to Freiden.

And I won't deny that unscreened immigrants can bring rare (here, anyway) illnesses to the United States. My issue is that there is no evidence to tie the EV-D68 outbreak to Obama's immigration policies, and the article isn't relying on evidence to support its assertion.

There is no such thing as coincidence - Gibbs rule # 39

Large influx of unscreened illegals, which the Federal govt scatter all across the country, which is followed by a large uptick in a deadly strain , all across the country.

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

Archived