This Black Man Gets It

Weegle777

The deck is stacked against all of us if you don't put forth effort to take advantage of the tons of opportunities that are out there. The deck was stacked against Dr. Ben Carson who grew up in horrible circumstances, and what did he do? He pulled himself up by the bootstraps that you say don't exist for people who grew up in less than favorable situations.

Not all actions are predictable or have predictable consequences, Weegs. Not everyone can be as fortunate as Dr. Carson to make it out of downtown Detroit, or to have a mother that worked as hard as his to give her sons a better future.

If !liberals and so called black leaders would get out of the way then they could do a lot more. I don't mind helping people but they have to demonstrate a desire and a willingness to do for themeselves what they can. Today people expect a handout. If you are going to sit around and whine and moan about how unfair life is and wallow around in self pity, then you deserve to stay right where you are.

The deck is stacked against all of us if you don't put forth effort to take advantage of the tons of opportunities that are out there. The deck was stacked against Dr. Ben Carson who grew up in horrible circumstances, and what did he do? He pulled himself up by the bootstraps that you say don't exist for people who grew up in less than favorable situations.

Not all actions are predictable or have predictable consequences, Weegs. Not everyone can be as fortunate as Dr. Carson to make it out of downtown Detroit, or to have a mother that worked as hard as his to give her sons a better future.

But, that doesn't negate the fact that every person has an opportunity and a choice if they will only take the initiative.

For many among the poor, and most especially among often marginalized populations like those of the inner city, the opportunity does not come. Reality is cruel.

I could not agree with you more...and not surprisingly, that is as true for white people as it is for people of color....

True. Being poor sucks. Being born poor and black is a double whammy.

I could not agree with you more...and not surprisingly, that is as true for white people as it is for people of color....

I can give you a first hand accounting of it. Been there done that but I did have a mother that cared and worked hard to see to it I learned I was the one who had to take ownership of the results in my life. Im no Ben Carson and Im not black either but have done reasonably well, raised my children put them both through Auburn and feel pretty good about that.

I can give you a first hand accounting of it. Been there done that but I did have a mother that cared and worked hard to see to it I learned I was the one who had to take ownership of the results in my life. Im no Ben Carson and Im not black either but have done reasonably well, raised my children put them both through Auburn and feel pretty good about that.

You have every right to feel good about it. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get mine through Auburn, weddings, cars, etc. :(:lol:

You have every right to feel good about it. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get mine through Auburn, weddings, cars, etc. :(:lol:

You'll get it done. Believe me, anyone who says they didn't experience those same insecurities is a liar.

You'll get it done. Believe me, anyone who says they didn't experience those same insecurities is a liar.

Appreciate the reassurance, man. We're not exactly struggling. We're fortunate to be where we are, and I realize that a lot of people have it a lot tougher than we do.

Speaking of folks that got a bad shake, anyone heard from Kass? I PM'd her the other day. Hope she's alright.

If !liberals and so called black leaders would get out of the way then they could do a lot more. I don't mind helping people but they have to demonstrate a desire and a willingness to do for themeselves what they can. Today people expect a handout. If you are going to sit around and whine and moan about how unfair life is and wallow around in self pity, then you deserve to stay right where you are.

Remove the first sentence and I somewhat agree with this. There is common rhetoric that talks about "rewarding failure". I don't mind rewarding failure. I do mind rewarding zero effort. The part of all of this that bothers me most is, how do you help the children of people who will not help their own children. Adults make their own choices. Children are too often victims of circumstance. I also think we should be careful not to assume that all poor people aren't trying.

how do you help the children of people who will not help their own children. Adults make their own choices. Children are too often victims of circumstance.

Stop subsidizing illegitimacy. If we have learned anything in this country it should be this... if you subsidize something you get more of it. Welfare has created a whole class of said victims and its worse now than it was when the Great Society legislation was passed.

how do you help the children of people who will not help their own children. Adults make their own choices. Children are too often victims of circumstance.

Stop subsidizing illegitimacy. If we have learned anything in this country it should be this... if you subsidize something you get more of it. Welfare has created a whole class of said victims and its worse now than it was when the Great Society legislation was passed.

Stop teaching them that they cannot ever get out of their bad circumstances. All these kids hear drom day one is how the man is going to hold him down and keep him there. A black child is taught. Ot to succeed or study but rather the opposite. White liberals and so called black leaders will villify and trash any black comservative who dares to teach self reliance and responsibility. Blacks in this country made tremendous progress in the period from the end of the civil war to the great society and the war on poverty. They stayed together as families. Men didn't go around getting 20 different women pregnant. Woman didn't have babies out of wedlock. Many of them didn't have a lot but they worked and didn't go around committing crime at the rate they do today even though they were poor. Welfare replaced the man as the breadwinner and freed him up to be irresponsible. It freed women up to be irresponsible as well.

This person has made some good points. That at times it is the actions of other Blacks that cause things like DWB (Driving While Black) but is not 100% accurate.

I am an old white Man I am very conservative in my views but that does not make me blind. A few years ago while living in Southern California I rode in a Van pool. There were 4 stops before we drove into LA. I was at the first stop in Highland, Ca. There were two of us who picked up the van pool there. Myself I rode in a 6 year old Pickup and wore Blue Jeans to work. I worked in an IT company with no dress code and a middle aged black man who was an executive in his company. He drove up in a new Caddy and wore a three piece suit to work everyday. We met in a bank parking lot for our Van Pool. The local Police pulled him over multiple times in the parking lot I was never pulled over once. I got out and explained to the police multiple times why we were there. It didn't stop until I wrote to the Chief of Police and explained to him I had notated every time he hand been stopped and that it was often the same policemen who stopped him. I explained that I would send a copy of this information to the Local newspapers and to the Civil Rights Division it never occurred again.

They were harassing him because he was black pure and simple. So there is some justification at the rage for DWB in the black community. But as the young man in the video so aptly put it there is some reason behind some of the DWB from a police perspective.

There is no justification for the Press coverage on Ferguson where depending if it was left leaning press or right leaning press either Michael Brown was an innocent victim of police brutality or the Officer had every right to fire 12 shots at an unarmed person. Both sides of the press took these sides even before the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury only ruled there is not enough evidence to take the officer to trial not that he is guilty or not guilty.

Like many others I wish the officer had a camera on so we would know the true story. We will probably never know the true story of what happened in Ferguson. There are to many conflicting stories and Forensic evidence does not rule out multiple possibilities.

I would like the black community to listen to this young man on one area and that is cleaning up the place where you live. Only the local community can make a neighborhood safe by supporting each other by voting to get people you trust in positions of power, and as he said being a snitch. That said in a lot of these neighborhoods there is a gang influence and being a snitch often has fatal consequences.

Ferguson is an example of people not being personally responsible. A predominately Black community that elects basically all white officials and then complain that these officials are out of touch with the community. Why didn't they elect Black Officials why didn't they vote that is a bigger issue then Michael Brown and Officer Wilson.

What I like about this video is this young black man did not say there was no racism because he knew it still exists but that rather then just complain about it do something to change the stereotype that many people have of Blacks in both the white and the black community.

Archived