Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four things...

1. Do we really think EJ just all of a sudden forgot how to coach defense? Obviously he had to go, but is there any part of you that is concerned that it won't be a quick or easy fix...what's the last d coord that was good at auburn?

2. Sabans defense gave up 600 yards last night. Maybe playing the style we do is detrimental to a lights out defense that we desire.

3. We do not need a huge contract for whomever comes in.

4. If garner were to leave, that's a huge loss...he is our main recruiter. Just a thought. I'd bet we would lose a big recruit or two...

I'm not asking for a quick fix. Hell we don't need a shut down defense. We just need players to be in position and not leave opposing receivers wide open. Just asking to see the defense show signs of being able to stop someone on occasion. If Garner leaves then so be it. He's not the only man that can recruit. As for possibly losing one or two, that would depend on who the replacement was.

Exactly. Offenses have changed in a way that we might not ever see defenses capable of shutting them down. However, you still can have a defense in which the OL puts pressure on the QB and the LBs and secondary know how to tackle and cover receivers. Johnson seemed to have a problem adjusting his defense when necessary.

Gus is going to move fast. I think there was a hire already in place when they let EJ go.

I'm sure that this has been on his mind for a while. He is likely on his way to talk to someone face to face.

I will support whomever Malzahn feels is the right one to fix this mess, but I still do not want muschamp. We can do so much better.

Guest jojo1515

Gus is going to move fast. I think there was a hire already in place when they let EJ go.

Doubtful but there have likely been some feelers put out to gauge interest and maybe even a conversation or two between Gus and a potential DC

I'm not keen on Shannon. He's a good LB coach, but no experience as a DC, managing position coaches.

Would be glad to see Rhoades come back, but he's a head coach now (although not a very successful one).

Muschamp -- why would he give up his $2 million plus per year payout from UF for a coordinator position?

Garner -- no, please. UGA fans are still applauding Auburn for hiring him and complaining about the terrible excuse of the DL he left behind.

My choice -- D.J. Durkin has worked with Muschamp for years and was DC under him. He's learned the job and knows how to build a good defense. And he has very solid recruiting relationships in Florida and Georgia, so he can bring in players immediately.

JMO

I will support whomever Malzahn feels is the right one to fix this mess, but I still do not want muschamp. We can do so much better.

I don't think the track record backs that up, but there are several possibilities that could work other than him.

I'm not keen on Shannon. He's a good LB coach, but no experience as a DC, managing position coaches.

Would be glad to see Rhoades come back, but he's a head coach now (although not a very successful one).

Muschamp -- why would he give up his $2 million plus per year payout from UF for a coordinator position?

Garner -- no, please. UGA fans are still applauding Auburn for hiring him and complaining about the terrible excuse of the DL he left behind.

My choice -- D.J. Durkin has worked with Muschamp for years and was DC under him. He's learned the job and knows how to build a good defense. And he has very solid recruiting relationships in Florida and Georgia, so he can bring in players immediately.

JMO

Do your homework on Shannon.

JMO

muschamp would not give up anything but his free time. his salary would be subtracted from his severance pay.

JMO

Shannon was the DC and then HC at Miami a few years ago. He put together some great defenses. Just didn't measure up as a HC.

JMO

Are you referring to the same Shannon who had dominant defenses as the DC for Miami and then went on to become their head coach??

JMO

Not true. He was defensive coordinator at Miami for 6 years before he was promoted to head coach.

Not intended as a flame, but can you tell us some of the ones you feel we can get that are so much better?

Bill Clark- UAB. The name won't satisfy the masses, but I believe the performance will. WDE

I like..

Wouldn't be a terrible choice. And since UAB announced today that they are shutting the football program down he would be looking for job.

Archived