Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

How in the hell does Johnson have a $2.2 Million buyout? Was he really that coveted after Southern Miss?

We should take that out of Jay Jacobs' ass. Has he not learned anything?

As a defensive coordinator? Yes. He was making $850,000 per year, in line with a DC at a major school with his experience and resume. He had a three year contract that rolled over each year unless specifically prevented from doing so. We went to the natty and showed signs of improvement so it rolled over.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How in the hell does Johnson have a $2.2 Million buyout? Was he really that coveted after Southern Miss?

Championship games tend to cloud judgements...

Doesn't Memphis play in C-USA? What's so special about Barry Odom? I don't understand. Jacobs batter do all he can to help Gus hire Will.

I don't know anything about him but the fact that Memphis is in C-USA doesn't mean anything. There are good assistant coaches all around that are looking for a break into the big leagues. You do remember Gus was the OC for Tulsa before Chizik brought him to AU.

AU is moving fast to get new DC on board otherwise the firing could have happened later. I believe they want to be able to talk and work out a deal with Muschamp. He is their candidate and I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought in this week.

It's not a buyout as such. It's the money for the remaining portion of his contract. He shouldn't have been given that long of a contract.

Probably a dumb statement but I don't think an assistant coach from Memphis fits the bill when there is so much riding on this hire and there are others more qualified. Then again that assumes Auburn can attract who they want.

Malzahn was at a C-USA school when hired by Chizik.

Probably a dumb statement but I don't think an assistant coach from Memphis fits the bill when there is so much riding on this hire and there are others more qualified. Then again that assumes Auburn can attract who they want.

He played, coached and recruited at Missouri prior to the Memphis job. He was a winning high school coach before his time at Missouri. He's been successful at every level.

It's not a buyout as such. It's the money for the remaining portion of his contract. He shouldn't have been given that long of a contract.

This^^

Whoever we hire, he better bring some DB's with him! Go ahead and bring a couple pass rush DE's too!

Whoever we hire, he better bring some DB's with him! Go ahead and bring a couple pass rush DE's too!

And some big, mean run stopping machines at linebacker.

I am sure our defense has been on Gus's mind for a while and I am pretty sure he has a plan in mind and in place to correct it. We just won't know what it is until he is ready to make it public. He is a very smart man.

Carl Lawson will make a huge improvement to the entire d line. That opens up monty to really play well

I wonder how Gus will tolerate Muschamp standing next to him screaming 'kill that mfer'.

Lunatic doesn't work as a head coach, but it's perfectly fine for a DC.

Yeah, but Gus was at Arkansas as OC prior to his time at Tulsa and probably would have stayed at Arkie a little longer if he and Nutt-job didn't have a falling out.

Yeah, but Gus was at Arkansas as OC prior to his time at Tulsa and probably would have stayed at Arkie a little longer if he and Nutt-job didn't have a falling out.

Odom coached at Missouri before Memphis. He and Gus have somewhat similar resumes.

Boom makes me a little nervous. I'm not sure his ego will be comfortable taking a step back just yet. The last thing AU needs is more turmoil. The defense needs stability.

Oh trust me, the recruits will be knocking on our doors from now on

We'll see come February. I hope you are right.

Does anybody know anything about the D-coordinator at Samford? I thought they looked well coached, missed few tackles, and were rarely out of position against AU. I'm not suggesting we look at him, just asking the question.

He probably would have. He was a high school coach when Arkansas brought him there. The fact is though he did leave Arkansas and he had not proved himself at a major program when he was hired. There are excellent coaches in C-USA that just need someone to give them the opportunity to prove themselves at a big time program.

I wonder how Gus will tolerate Muschamp standing next to him screaming 'kill that mfer'.

Lunatic doesn't work as a head coach, but it's perfectly fine for a DC.

Indeed. And what makes people think our other assistant coaches don't curse like a sailor? It would be an embarrassment that because our HC doesn't curse, that he would censor his assistants too.

Just sit back and enjoy

Boom makes me a little nervous. I'm not sure his ego will be comfortable taking a step back just yet. the last thing AU needs is more turmoil. The defense needs stability.

If he's willing to talk with Gus about being the DC rather than sit out a year and wait for a HC job to open up, I'd say his ego will handle it fine. Losing as a HC has a way of keeping an ego in check.

Just sit back and enjoy

What makes you think that?

Archived