Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it for Ellis Johnson. I understand the reasons and I am sure the PTB had everything to do with it. He is a good man and was probably going to coach for just a year more. Early retirement for him?

Why are you sure it was the PTB and not just a common sense call by Gus to can a guy who has fielded some of the worst Auburn defenses ever and wasted some fantastic offensive performances? Maybe Gus just got tired of seeing awful D and made the obvious move. I don't think there's any behind the scenes PTB mystery going on here. Pretty clear cut to me and almost everyone else.

About Barry Odom... I live in Memphis & can tell you that he's done a great job there. I don't know much in terms of specifics, but I know he has earned the respect of sports writers & fans there. Regarding Johnson, I am usually 1 of the last people to get on a "fire the coach" bandwagon. But what finally got me there this time is that Johnson couldn't stop the downhill slide. Whatever happened midseason (the Whitehead incident or whatever), once the regression began, Johnson couldn't stop it. That says volumes to me about a coach's connection with his players.

About Barry Odom... I live in Memphis & can tell you that he's done a great job there. I don't know much in terms of specifics, but I know he has earned the respect of sports writers & fans there. Regarding Johnson, I am usually 1 of the last people to get on a "fire the coach" bandwagon. But what finally got me there this time is that Johnson couldn't stop the downhill slide. Whatever happened midseason (the Whitehead incident or whatever), once the regression began, Johnson couldn't stop it. That says volumes to me about a coach's connection with his players.

I like how his teams have shown consistent improvement and he is known as a good recruiter. Players like him.

I have a feeling that if Gus wants Muschamp, and the money wants Muschamp JJ will have no choice but to put his personal feelings aside and hire him.

Muschamp will not be our next DC. JJ doesn't like him.

Muschamp was the one that held hard feelings over how he perceived himself being treated. JJ is not going to try and overrule Gus on his choice of assistant coaches.

On the 30 for 30 program, Shannon's picture was shown as the reporter talked about the cash being handed out after each game.

That's the best you can come up with? His picture was displayed on the screen while they discussed the story. Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he was HEAD COACH of the program at the time. Good grief.

He wasn't implicated in that situation in any way shape or form. But you stay the course with inaccurate information if it makes you feel better. The truth is very different than your imaginary story.

Whoever we get (Will), I hope Gus will let the new DC bring his coaches with him.

i would like to see boom bring Travaris Robinson with him from UF. Doing work with db's and on the recruiting trail

I agree with this ^^^^ Muschamp and T-Rob would be excellent for AU.

I would love to have T-Rob come back.

If there's been mutual interest, whatever beef Muschamp and Jacobs had must have been settled. It did happen a long time ago, and they're grown men.

Folks have to be kidding themselves if they think JJ would prevent Boom from coming if that's what everyone involved wants. I think those folks just wanna sound like they have more info than the rest of us.

Doesn't Memphis play in C-USA? What's so special about Barry Odom? I don't understand. Jacobs batter do all he can to help Gus hire Will.

Probably a dumb statement but I don't think an assistant coach from Memphis fits the bill when there is so much riding on this hire and there are others more qualified. Then again that assumes Auburn can attract who they want.

Doesn't Memphis play in C-USA? What's so special about Barry Odom? I don't understand.

His name was mentioned on coachingsearch.com as a possible.

Probably a dumb statement but I don't think an assistant coach from Memphis fits the bill when there is so much riding on this hire and there are others more qualified. Then again that assumes Auburn can attract who they want.

He is the defensive coordinator.

How in the hell does Johnson have a $2.2 Million buyout? Was he really that coveted after Southern Miss?

We should take that out of Jay Jacobs' ass. Has he not learned anything?

I lol'ed.

How in the hell does Johnson have a $2.2 Million buyout? Was he really that coveted after Southern Miss?

We should take that out of Jay Jacobs' ass. Has he not learned anything?

I suspect Gus requested the contract terms.

If im not mistaken, cooper had over 200 yards against fla this year. So, is that the coach or the players?

Yep, but u left out that the defense scored 2tds in that game. With our offense, that game gets ugly by halftime! And the toothless ones start exiting the stadium in a hurry

Some guys are almost unstoppable. Cooper is one of them.

He is, but Bama did put 672 yards on Florida.

Well Muschamp sounds like our guy then...... :dunno:

Archived