Penn State gets their wins restored

AuburnHardware

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/penn-st-gets-wins-restored-paterno-again-winningest-coach/ar-AA8foix

I don't agree with this ruling. They would not have gotten those wins if they had done the right thing and called the cops on the pervert. Instead they swept it under the rug so as to not upset the apple cart.

PSU caved to the NCAA and after futher investigation and reflection someone finally decided to pursue retribution. Good for PSU.

I hope the NCAA folds completely in the very near future.

http://www.msn.com/e...oach/ar-AA8foix

I don't agree with this ruling. They would not have gotten those wins if they had done the right thing and called the cops on the pervert. Instead they swept it under the rug so as to not upset the apple cart.

Seriously, the guy wasn't a part of the football program at all during those wins. He was a former coach. Calling the cops would have gotten a guy who wasn't a football coach who was doing things that had nothing to do with the football program at that time to go to jail. At any point in the process the cops being called would have only caused a stir amongst fans that an administrator and former coach was molesting kids. It would have had a minor impact at the most on the football program.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/penn-st-gets-wins-restored-paterno-again-winningest-coach/ar-AA8foix

NCAA had no business stepping in that in the first place.

Sandusky got caught raping a young boy in the PSU locker room shower. He was caught by a PSU coach who reported it to Paterno who did nothing. They knew what he was doing and allowed him to continue to live on campus. He continued to raped boys after he was caught in the shower. They are responsible for those rapes for not reporting him immediately. The impact of that would not have been "minor" and it has EVERYTHING to do with the football program.

It had nothing to do with any NCAA rules though. It was a criminal matter. It was outside their authority to do that.

+1...as was that blackmail money PSU paid the NCAA.

When a football player was arrested they didn't go to jail, they were taken to Paterno. When a pedophile was caught raping a child in the locker room it wasn't reported to the police, it was reported to Paterno. That is Lack of Institutional Control. The NCAA's job is to keep coaches from running the Universities. I can understand why the NCAA got involved.

Sandusky got caught raping a young boy in the PSU locker room shower. He was caught by a PSU coach who reported it to Paterno who did nothing. They knew what he was doing and allowed him to continue to live on campus. He continued to raped boys after he was caught in the shower. They are responsible for those rapes for not reporting him immediately. The impact of that would not have been "minor" and it has EVERYTHING to do with the football program.

Not exactly what happened, Paterno refered what the GA said for investigation to the athletic director, who proceeded to delay and cover up. Paterno was not a witness to anything but heresay by the GA, that was mentioned in grand jury report.

Most organizations would have handled a second hand report the same way, refer it to an admin who has investigative power. What should have been done, is for the GA to call 911 and report a crime in progress. The GA didn't have the guts to do that. There were others on the campus who also caught him and remained silent. A janitor for one who reported it to his supervisor who told the janitor to forget it.

Bad as all of that was, there was nothing IMO that gave the football program any kind of unfair advantage. Legal problems all over the place and maybe some "institutional control" issues but again, IMO, none were related to the football program.

Send a bunch to jail, put the school on some kind of academic probation or whatever but the football penalties and the fine had nothing to do with the despicable things that were done.

Looks like that view has finally prevailed to some extent.

Bad as all of that was, there was nothing IMO that gave the football program any kind of unfair advantage. Legal problems all over the place and maybe some "institutional control" issues but again, IMO, none were related to the football program.

Send a bunch to jail, put the school on some kind of academic probation or whatever but the football penalties and the fine had nothing to do with the despicable things that were done.

Looks like that view has finally prevailed to some extent.

I agree. Putting the school on probation and even taking away scholarships for a few years was fine. I thought vacating the wins though were just a symbolic thing to shame the program even though the players did nothing wrong and won those game fairly without cheating.

I see your point and understand your reasoning.

However, much like a school playing ineligible players gives an unfair advantage (such as USC using Reggie Bush after he had accepted money and should have lost his amateur status, or any of many rumors about UAT), it seems to me that using a coach who should have been fired and locked up instead of coaching a game gives an advantage also. Furthermore, if there was a conspiracy to cover up Sandusky's crimes to protect the University's reputation, that also would give an unfair recruiting advantage if you ask me. Does anyone think PSU would have found it as easy to attract recruits and their parents in the midst of such a scandal? Even after Sandusky was no longer on the staff, isn't it likely that some of the boys in his "charity program" could be impressed enough by the access to the football program he provided that they become PSU fans and future recruits? (...Access they wouldn't have had if Sandusky was in jail)

Whether or not the NCAA had any jurisdiction, or where the boundary is drawn between NCAA jurisdiction and criminal courts is a question I can't answer, except to say that obviously the criminal courts have precedence. :gofig: I have no training in NCAA compliance or the law!

Should PSU be punished? YES

BUT

The NCAA in thier blind rush to judgement inorder to be PC was wrong. So wrong when the Federal Court which was set to rule on the suit against the NCAA next week they were going to lose and look like fools. So the great gods of college athelics settled.

Now because of the NCAA's stupidy and protecting their own self interest there are two set of lossers. The PSU fans and abused childern who need a RESPONSIBLE voice.

Archived