While we are discussing evil, let us not forget the home grown version....

homersapien

Who knew Andrea was so partisan !

Oh, wait... She really is. But to the Left.

See Homer. Even if you have the same opinion (for real reasons). You will NEVER break the "Obama Sux, Libs are Dumb" mind lock.

Raptor, do you see the paradox?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

disappointed or upset?

That's a bit far, ... well maybe a tad disappointed.

Not about insensitivity or anything, like I was saying earlier... it's because of his position.

He's not getting paid for his prowess in scholarly debate. He's paid to be a problem solver on the highest level our nations government has.

Let me use a for instance;

If me and homer are talking and we want to compare and contrast different maniacs from every religion/ethnic group throughout time to ISIS today that's cool.

If I'm paying Homer to figure out how to solve modern problems and instead he engages in open ended and pointless remarks/questions, then I'm a tad disappointed.

Again, I hold presidents to a higher standard than most other people do these days.... and every president (at least in my lifetime) has failed that standard. I could go on about GWs/BCs mistakes for pages, but I don't because they're all done now.

Good grief! He was making a speech at a prayer breakfast. Does he have to be "solving problems" every second of the day?

Do you really think a prayer breakfast is where problems get solved?

And the remarks were not "open-ended or pointless" IMO. They were appropriate for the venue. And I am not the only one who thinks so.

Like I said, I hold them to higher standards than most.

And yes, he volunteered to serve this country in it's highest position. Every second of every day for four years he should be doing nothing but working tirelessly on improving America in every possible way. It's a problem of lack of professionalism and sense of duty. I think you over estimate my use of the word "disappointed" as well, the prayer breakfast led to the same disappointment that I feel when I hear he's throwing a big party, or going to the golf course. screwing up a speech, because obviously you didn't care enough to perfect it, being uninformed on the subject at hand during questioning. ( I threw Bush let downs in there too)

"And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ,” Obama said. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ"

It's useless rhetoric, and not even entirely correct. The crusades were thought of to help with the instability and infighting going on throughout Europe at the time, the Church wanted to create a power vacuum of nobles so that they could then fill that space and rule. Christianity was for the most part united by the churches call to war whereas Islam is fragmented a huge amount on what is right or wrong. Comparing the crusades to ISIS is insane, ISIS would have to grow 10x bigger and inscrease their atrocities 100 fold to even come close to the crusades, you might as well compare getting a bee sting to being shot. Slavery was the product of having crap foresight and a belief that ethnicity was the ultimate determining factor in someones station in life, if there were calls that Jesus had ordered darker skinned people to be enslaved to lighter skinned people it couldn't have been too popular as I've rarely heard it mentioned. I admit I'm not all that familiar with the new testament, or the orders of past popes... so if it does at any point call for all people of African ancestry to be enslaved, my bad.

I would actually be very interested if someone could point me to popular literature of the time that said Jesus hates black people (or something to that effect)

Well, I guess that puts you into the Obama Sux /Liberals are dumb crowd.

I just don't understand how that speech reflects "lack of professionalism or sense of duty". :-\ It was a perfectly appropriate speech to make at a multi-religion prayer breakfast during a time of religious radicalism.

There's something going on here with the way people are reacting to this. And I'll be the first to admit I don't understand it.

Would it make it easier for you if I told you the idea of the breakfast at all also disappoints me? Hearing our CiC make lame jokes and thank gods time and time again disappoints me.

And that was a long damn speech with nothing of substance to speak of, 100% concentrating on the problem and past problems 0% on the solution.

Well I agree with you about the breakfast. It's constitutionally inappropriate IMO.

I still think you are widely off-base regarding the speech. It was obviously not intended - nor should have been - to lay out strategy. After all it would be wildly inappropriate to address actual policy during a "prayer breakfast. To be disappointed because "solutions" weren't laid out is so naive as to be childish IMO.

In a very drawn out and roundabout way I believe we reached an agreement:)

The speech was disappointing because it was at an inappropriate meeting, the meeting was disappointing because it was a prayer breakfast.

Well, like I said, it's constitutionally inappropriate, but from a practical standpoint, if it leads to a better understanding, tolerance and cooperation among the leaders of different religions, I am OK with it.

The fact that such a straightforward practical discussion of religious extremism can arouse such defensiveness among some Christians is very disturbing. But the fault lies not with the speech, but the people who are taking offense at it.

It's quite ironic that it apparently had the opposite of it's intended effect.

It makes me even more convinced that religion is a greater source of harm and evil in the world than it is of peace and harmony.

If Obama was not offering excuses for ISIS atrocities what was the purpose of the comparison? Why is Homer complicit in this excusal?

He was not "offering excuses for ISIS atrocities". That is a dumb, simpleminded, misguided interpretation.

He was making the point that the problem here is not Islam per se', it is one of religious extremism. He illustrated that point by pointing out that Christianity and other religions beside Islam have experienced problems with religious extremists at various times.

Does that help or do you require further explanation?

Christianity's history versus current Islamic atrocities. He was making excuses for ISIS. You are making excuses for Obama. I subscribe to Occam's razor on this one.

Well, that's a little too simple to be feasible. But it's the sort of simple interpretation that might come from a simpleton.

And really, do you think Obama would "make excuses" for ISIS? Why would he do such an absurd thing? That's an idiotic conclusion on the basis of simple common sense.

Who knew Andrea was so partisan !

Oh, wait... She really is. But to the Left.

See Homer. Even if you have the same opinion (for real reasons). You will NEVER break the "Obama Sux, Libs are Dumb" mind lock.

Raptor, do you see the paradox?

He is confused. In fact, he pretty much stays confused. I think his ridiculous assertions are a coping mechanism for his constant confusion.

I believe he, and others, have surrendered all critical, political thinking to someone one the radio.

Catholics, Buddhists , Hindus ?

:roflol:

They're not burning men in cages, alive.

The disconnect by obamabots stretches further & further.

Catholics, Buddhists , Hindus ?

:roflol:

They're not burning men in cages, alive.

The disconnect by obamabots stretches further & further.

Crazy ramble.

Not crazy at all. Raptor's goal is to demonize all things liberal. His agenda has nothing to do with ISIS or terrorism.

" Crazy ramble "

Earth revolves around the sun.

Evolution

Obama's out of context comments on Christianity

ICHY - me and Andrea, huh?

<_<

If Obama was not offering excuses for ISIS atrocities what was the purpose of the comparison? Why is Homer complicit in this excusal?

He was not "offering excuses for ISIS atrocities". That is a dumb, simpleminded, misguided interpretation.

He was making the point that the problem here is not Islam per se', it is one of religious extremism. He illustrated that point by pointing out that Christianity and other religions beside Islam have experienced problems with religious extremists at various times.

Christianity's history versus current Islamic atrocities. He was making excuses for ISIS. You are making excuses for Obama. I subscribe to Occam's razor on this one.

Well, that's a little too simple to be feasible. But it's the sort of simple interpretation that might come from a simpleton.

And really, do you think Obama would "make excuses" for ISIS? Why would he do such an absurd thing? That's an idiotic conclusion on the basis of simple common sense.

I agree with you. But, that is what he did.

No chance he was attempting to reach out to the moderate Muslims and say, we have had our own extremists? We are not declaring war on Islam. Any chance? Is it possible that it helps the terrorists if you make this about the entire Arab/Muslim world?

Regardless of how much one hates Obama, they would have to be a fool to believe he is "making excuses" for ISIS. That's just insane on the face of it.

No chance he was attempting to reach out to the moderate Muslims and say, we have had our own extremists? We are not declaring war on Islam. Any chance? Is it possible that it helps the terrorists if you make this about the entire Arab/Muslim world?

Certainly not in his world. Obama is making excuses for ISIS because....well, because.....he actually supports Islamic terrorists? :dunno:

That's even dumber than Obama's secret Negro Army that is accumulating ammunition in order to take away all our freedoms.

It's laughable, yet sad and pathetic. :no:

wouldn't making excuses for ISIS have to have been worded in a different format?

As in; "hey guys, they're only counter punching you Christians first swing" lol

Like I said before, don't agree with the entire premise of a "prayer breakfast", and if he wanted to bring up the crusades a more apt message would have been one of hope. As in, "Hey guys, remember that horrible crusades thing? Well that was 100 times worse than ISIS and the world eventually overcame it. Forward thinking and ideals will beat out ISIS too"

but making excuses for them? naaahhh.

Regardless of how much one hates Obama, they would have to be a fool to believe he is "making excuses" for ISIS. That's just insane on the face of it.

Not so insane.

He refuses to say the words " Islamic terrorism ", while at the same time vilifying Christianity for The Crusades.

Want to take a wild ass guess as to WHY the Crusades ever happened in the first place ?? Funny, Obama kinda left that minor detail out.

" The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam " - Barrack Hussein Obama

The Muslim call to prayer is " one of the prettiest sounds at sunset on Earth " - Barrack Hussein Obama.

Not so insane.

He refuses to say the words " Islamic terrorism ", while at the same time vilifying Christianity for The Crusades.

Want to take a wild ass guess as to WHY the Crusades ever happened in the first place ?? Funny, Obama kinda left that minor detail out.

" The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam " - Barrack Hussein Obama

The Muslim call to prayer is " one of the prettiest sounds at sunset on Earth " - Barrack Hussein Obama.

Birther ALERT!!!!

Birther ALERT!!!!

Yep. And that's all you need to say to derail any attempt to rationally explain why this President is so hell bent on denying any tie or connection, what so ever , between those who call themselves Muslim, and the horrors being committed, while at the same time digging up crimes committed by Christians , from centuries ago.

I am not, nor have I ever been a " birther ". So that ends that bit of nonsense, right off the bat.

But no one can deny the favorable, loving and even gushing words Obama has directed towards and about Islam. It IS a part of who he is, and that's HIM saying it, not me.

But no one can deny the favorable, loving and even gushing words Obama has directed towards and about Islam. It IS a part of who he is, and that's HIM saying it, not me.

In the President’s Words: Respecting Islam

The United States is a nation dedicated to religious tolerance and freedom, and President Bush has acted to ensure that the world's Muslims know that America appreciates and celebrates the traditions of Islam.

• "Here in the United States our Muslim citizens are making many contributions in business, science and law, medicine and education, and in other fields. Muslim members of our Armed Forces and of my administration are serving their fellow Americans with distinction, upholding our nation's ideals of liberty and justice in a world at peace."
    Remarks by the President on Eid Al-Fitr
    The Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
    December 5, 2002
  • "Over the past month, Muslims have fasted, taking no food or water during daylight hours, in order to refocus their minds on faith and redirect their hearts to charity. Muslims worldwide have stretched out a hand of mercy to those in need. Charity tables at which the poor can break their fast line the streets of cities and towns. And gifts of food and clothing and money are distributed to ensure that all share in God's abundance. Muslims often invite members of other families to their evening iftar meals, demonstrating a spirit of tolerance."
    Remarks by the President on Eid Al-Fitr
    The Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
    December 5, 2002
  • "America treasures the relationship we have with our many Muslim friends, and we respect the vibrant faith of Islam which inspires countless individuals to lead lives of honesty, integrity, and morality. This year, may Eid also be a time in which we recognize the values of progress, pluralism, and acceptance that bind us together as a Nation and a global community. By working together to advance mutual understanding, we point the way to a brighter future for all."
    Presidential Message Eid al-Fitr
    December 5, 2002
  • "Islam brings hope and comfort to millions of people in my country, and to more than a billion people worldwide. Ramadan is also an occasion to remember that Islam gave birth to a rich civilization of learning that has benefited mankind."
    President's Eid al-Fitr Greeting to Muslims around the World
    December 4, 2002
  • "Ours is a war not against a religion, not against the Muslim faith. But ours is a war against individuals who absolutely hate what America stands for, and hate the freedom of the Czech Republic. And therefore, we must work together to defend ourselves. And by remaining strong and united and tough, we'll prevail."
    Press Conference by President Bush and President Havel of Czech Republic
    Prague Castle, Prague, Czech Republic
    November 20, 2002
  • "Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans. Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance and we welcome people of all faiths in America."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush in a statement to reporters during a meeting with U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan
    The Oval Office, Washington, DC
    November 13, 2002
  • "We see in Islam a religion that traces its origins back to God's call on Abraham. We share your belief in God's justice, and your insistence on man's moral responsibility. We thank the many Muslim nations who stand with us against terror. Nations that are often victims of terror, themselves."
    President Hosts Iftaar Dinner
    Remarks by the President at Iftaar Dinner
    State Dining Room
  • "Islam is a vibrant faith. Millions of our fellow citizens are Muslim. We respect the faith. We honor its traditions. Our enemy does not. Our enemy doesn't follow the great traditions of Islam. They've hijacked a great religion."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush on U.S. Humanitarian Aid to Afghanistan
    Presidential Hall, Dwight David Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C.
    October 11, 2002
  • "Islam is a faith that brings comfort to people. It inspires them to lead lives based on honesty, and justice, and compassion."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush on U.S. Humanitarian Aid to Afghanistan
    Presidential Hall, Dwight David Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C.
    October 11, 2002
  • "All Americans must recognize that the face of terror is not the true faith -- face of Islam. Islam is a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. It's a faith that has made brothers and sisters of every race. It's a faith based upon love, not hate."
    President George W. Bush Holds Roundtable with Arab and Muslim-American Leaders
    Afghanistan Embassy, Washington, D.C.
    September 10, 2002
  • "If liberty can blossom in the rocky soil of the West Bank and Gaza, it will inspire millions of men and women around the globe who are equally weary of poverty and oppression, equally entitled to the benefits of democratic government. I have a hope for the people of Muslim countries. Your commitments to morality, and learning, and tolerance led to great historical achievements. And those values are alive in the Islamic world today. You have a rich culture, and you share the aspirations of men and women in every culture. Prosperity and freedom and dignity are not just American hopes, or Western hopes. They are universal, human hopes. And even in the violence and turmoil of the Middle East, America believes those hopes have the power to transform lives and nations."
    President George W. Bush Calls for New Palestinian Leadership
    The Rose Garden, Washington, D.C.
    June 24, 2002
  • "When it comes to the common rights and needs of men and women, there is no clash of civilizations. The requirements of freedom apply fully to Africa and Latin America and the entire Islamic world. The peoples of the Islamic nations want and deserve the same freedoms and opportunities as people in every nation. And their governments should listen to their hopes."
    Remarks by the President George W. Bush at the 2002 Graduation Exercise of the United States Military Academy
    West Point, New York
    June 1, 2002
  • "America rejects bigotry. We reject every act of hatred against people of Arab background or Muslim faith America values and welcomes peaceful people of all faiths -- Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu and many others. Every faith is practiced and protected here, because we are one country. Every immigrant can be fully and equally American because we're one country. Race and color should not divide us, because America is one country."
    President George W. Bush Promotes Compassionate Conservatism
    Parkside Hall, San Jose, California
    April 30, 2002
  • "We're taking action against evil people. Because this great nation of many religions understands, our war is not against Islam, or against faith practiced by the Muslim people. Our war is a war against evil. This is clearly a case of good versus evil, and make no mistake about it -- good will prevail."
    Remarks by the President George W. Bush at a Town Hall Meeting with Citizens of Ontario
    Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, California
    January 5, 2002
  • "Eid is a time of joy, after a season of fasting and prayer and reflection. Each year, the end of Ramadan means celebration and thanksgiving for millions of Americans. And your joy during this season enriches the life of our great country. This year, Eid is celebrated at the same time as Hanukkah and Advent. So it's a good time for people of these great faiths, Islam, Judaism and Christianity, to remember how much we have in common: devotion to family, a commitment to care for those in need, a belief in God and His justice, and the hope for peace on earth."
    Remarks by the President in Honor of Eid Al-Fitr
    The Diplomatic Reception Room
    December 17, 2001
  • "The teachings of many faiths share much in common. And people of many faiths are united in our commitments to love our families, to protect our children, and to build a more peaceful world. In the coming year, let us resolve to seize opportunities to work together in a spirit of friendship and cooperation. Through our combined efforts, we can end terrorism and rid our civilization of the damaging effects of hatred and intolerance, ultimately achieving a brighter future for all."
    President's Message for Eid al-Fitr
    December 13, 2001
  • "According to Muslim teachings, God first revealed His word in the Holy Qur'an to the prophet, Muhammad, during the month of Ramadan. That word has guided billions of believers across the centuries, and those believers built a culture of learning and literature and science. All the world continues to benefit from this faith and its achievements."
    Remarks by the President George W. Bush At Iftaar Dinner
    The State Dining Room, Washington, D.C.
    November 19, 2001
  • "The Islam that we know is a faith devoted to the worship of one God, as revealed through The Holy Qur'an. It teaches the value and the importance of charity, mercy, and peace."
    President George W. Bush's Message for Ramadan
    November 15, 2001
  • "This new enemy seeks to destroy our freedom and impose its views. We value life; the terrorists ruthlessly destroy it. We value education; the terrorists do not believe women should be educated or should have health care, or should leave their homes. We value the right to speak our minds; for the terrorists, free expression can be grounds for execution. We respect people of all faiths and welcome the free practice of religion; our enemy wants to dictate how to think and how to worship even to their fellow Muslims."
    President George W. Bush Addresses the Nation
    World Congress Center, Atlanta, Georgia
    November 8, 2001
  • "All of us here today understand this: We do not fight Islam, we fight against evil."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush to the Warsaw Conference on Combating Terrorism
    November 6, 2001
  • "I have assured His Majesty that our war is against evil, not against Islam. There are thousands of Muslims who proudly call themselves Americans, and they know what I know -- that the Muslim faith is based upon peace and love and compassion. The exact opposite of the teachings of the al Qaeda organization, which is based upon evil and hate and destruction."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush and His Majesty King Abdullah of Jordan
    The Oval Office, Washington, D.C.
    September 28, 2001
  • "Americans understand we fight not a religion; ours is not a campaign against the Muslim faith. Ours is a campaign against evil."
    President George W. Bush Remarks by the President to Airline Employees
    O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois
    September 27, 2001
    "The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them."
    President George W. Bush's Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People
    United States Capitol, Washington, D.C.
    September 20, 2001
  • "I've made it clear, Madam President, that the war against terrorism is not a war against Muslims, nor is it a war against Arabs. It's a war against evil people who conduct crimes against innocent people."
    Remarks by President George W. Bush and President Megawati of Indonesia
    The Oval Office, Washington, D.C.
    September 19, 2001
  • "The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war."
    Remarks by the President at Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
    Washington, D.C.
    September 17, 2001 http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/infocus/ramadan/islam.html

Not so insane.

He avoids the term "Islamic terrorism" because it associates Islam in general with terrorism.

You didn't hear everyone talking about "Christian terrorism" after the Olympic bombings or shootings of doctors providing abortions did you? Were you pissed about that?

And no where at no time has Obama "vilified" Christians. Hell, he is one!

So yes, insane. These are the beliefs of a wacko.

You really want to get into a cut and paste pissing contest ?

I didn't know Bush's dad was a Muslim, or that he'd known Islam on 3 continents before coming to its homeland.

Not worth wasting my time over.

"The Muslim call to prayer is " one of the prettiest sounds at sunset on Earth " - Barrack Hussein Obama.

Please tell us what is so bad about those quotes.

I didn't know Bush's dad was a Muslim, or that he'd known Islam on 3 continents before coming to its homeland.

Birther ALERT!!!!!

"The Muslim call to prayer is " one of the prettiest sounds at sunset on Earth " - Barrack Hussein Obama.

Please tell us what is so bad about those quotes.

I have heard the call to prayer at sunset and it is a very pretty sound.

Maybe the answer to many of the questions being raised can be found on p.261 in "Audacity of Hope" where Obama implies......"when the political winds shift in an ugly direction......." he will stand with the Muslims.

I have heard the call to prayers at sunrise in Instanbul from the Blue Mosque and I don't care to ever hear it again.

Yes, he spent a large amount of his youth in the Islamic church. So what? I spent a large amount of my youth in the Methodist church.

You are a xenophobe of the worst type - religious.

He avoids the term "Islamic terrorism" because it associates Islam in general with terrorism.

Most of the terrorism going on in the world today IS by Islam. But never mind that, Obama had no qualms bringing up the Crusades, which is exactly how the Muslim TERRORISTS view anything we do in the Middle East. Obama is USING the words and phrases the Muslim radicals use and understand. That's how they view us, and Obama is playing right along w/ them.

You didn't hear everyone talking about "Christian terrorism" after the Olympic bombings or shootings of doctors providing abortions did you? Were you pissed about that?

First of all, yes I did. But 2nd of all, those were singular, isolated acts, soundly and LOUDLY rejected by any and all Christians.

When's the last time a doctor was killed by some anti-abortion zealot ? A decade ? More ? I bet more people die from Muslim radicals on a weekly basis than ALL anti abortion zealots combined.

And no where at no time has Obama "vilified" Christians. Hell, he is one!

So yes, insane. These are the beliefs of a wacko.

He interjected The Crusades , for absolutely no reason, what so ever, in the days following a man locked in a cage, being burned to death.

That's equating what Christians did 1000 years ago, to what MUSLIMS did, just week.

Archived