While we are discussing evil, let us not forget the home grown version....

homersapien

Ah hell, people aren't really going with the Mimsy thing are they? lol

It'll pass. There was a brief time where folks called me "beans." :laugh:

Big is right as usual. Nicknames come and go. What really matters is the CHOICE. You have to declare Mimsy, even if you don't want to declare. If you do not, the declaration will be made for you. You will be assimilated. You will be put into the appropriate box.

It is time. You MUST choose.

Are you:

A member of the Jonestown Boys (those with any liberal/progressive ideas or thoughts)

or

A member of the OSLaD (Obama Sux/Libs are Dumb)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

disappointed or upset?

That's a bit far, ... well maybe a tad disappointed.

Not about insensitivity or anything, like I was saying earlier... it's because of his position.

He's not getting paid for his prowess in scholarly debate. He's paid to be a problem solver on the highest level our nations government has.

Let me use a for instance;

If me and homer are talking and we want to compare and contrast different maniacs from every religion/ethnic group throughout time to ISIS today that's cool.

If I'm paying Homer to figure out how to solve modern problems and instead he engages in open ended and pointless remarks/questions, then I'm a tad disappointed.

Again, I hold presidents to a higher standard than most other people do these days.... and every president (at least in my lifetime) has failed that standard. I could go on about GWs/BCs mistakes for pages, but I don't because they're all done now.

Good grief! He was making a speech at a prayer breakfast. Does he have to be "solving problems" every second of the day?

Do you really think a prayer breakfast is where problems get solved?

And the remarks were not "open-ended or pointless" IMO. They were appropriate for the venue. And I am not the only one who thinks so.

Like I said, I hold them to higher standards than most.

And yes, he volunteered to serve this country in it's highest position. Every second of every day for four years he should be doing nothing but working tirelessly on improving America in every possible way. It's a problem of lack of professionalism and sense of duty. I think you over estimate my use of the word "disappointed" as well, the prayer breakfast led to the same disappointment that I feel when I hear he's throwing a big party, or going to the golf course. screwing up a speech, because obviously you didn't care enough to perfect it, being uninformed on the subject at hand during questioning. ( I threw Bush let downs in there too)

"And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ,” Obama said. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ"

It's useless rhetoric, and not even entirely correct. The crusades were thought of to help with the instability and infighting going on throughout Europe at the time, the Church wanted to create a power vacuum of nobles so that they could then fill that space and rule. Christianity was for the most part united by the churches call to war whereas Islam is fragmented a huge amount on what is right or wrong. Comparing the crusades to ISIS is insane, ISIS would have to grow 10x bigger and inscrease their atrocities 100 fold to even come close to the crusades, you might as well compare getting a bee sting to being shot. Slavery was the product of having crap foresight and a belief that ethnicity was the ultimate determining factor in someones station in life, if there were calls that Jesus had ordered darker skinned people to be enslaved to lighter skinned people it couldn't have been too popular as I've rarely heard it mentioned. I admit I'm not all that familiar with the new testament, or the orders of past popes... so if it does at any point call for all people of African ancestry to be enslaved, my bad.

I would actually be very interested if someone could point me to popular literature of the time that said Jesus hates black people (or something to that effect)

Big is right as usual. Nicknames come and go. What really matters is the CHOICE. You have to declare Mimsy, even if you don't want to declare. If you do not, the declaration will be made for you. You will be assimilated. You will be put into the appropriate box.

Are you:

A member of the Jonestown Boys (those with any liberal/progressive ideas or thoughts)

or

Is there a third box for "both sides will piss me off from time to time, and even if they don't I'll grab some henny and play devil's advocate:)?"

Are you:

or

Is there a third box for "both sides will piss me off from time to time, and even if they don't I'll grab some henny and play devil's advocate:)?"

Sure there is! That is the same one I chose! Welcome to the Jonestown Boys!

9c7.png

We're all about false dilemmas here. Now pick a side. :bananadance:

Xenophobic ? Wrong. A man locked In a cage, set on fire & burned alive. That is what recently happened, yet Obama wants to focus on 1000 year old events & blame Christians ???

Are All lefties this cowardly ?

The number of lives taken by Muslim extremists in history outnumbers those taken by Christians by 20 to 1. If not more.

And yet, our President wants to play the equivalency game , just to placate those Muslims who may NOT happen to agree w/ the militant radicals ?

And homer, most reasonable people DISAGREE with the author in the OP.

It's not even close.

What a warped deranged interpretation of his intent. That personifies exactly the sort of xenophobic mindset he is addressing.

Good luck breaking through the Obama sux mindset.

v8ccqht.jpg

Xenophobic ? Wrong. A man locked In a cage, set on fire & burned alive. That is what recently happened, yet Obama wants to focus on 1000 year old events & blame Christians ???

Homer, if you get past the "Obama Sux" mindset be prepared for the "Libs are Dumb" argument.

disappointed or upset?

Not about insensitivity or anything, like I was saying earlier... it's because of his position.

He's not getting paid for his prowess in scholarly debate. He's paid to be a problem solver on the highest level our nations government has.

If me and homer are talking and we want to compare and contrast different maniacs from every religion/ethnic group throughout time to ISIS today that's cool.

If I'm paying Homer to figure out how to solve modern problems and instead he engages in open ended and pointless remarks/questions, then I'm a tad disappointed.

Again, I hold presidents to a higher standard than most other people do these days.... and every president (at least in my lifetime) has failed that standard. I could go on about GWs/BCs mistakes for pages, but I don't because they're all done now.

Good grief! He was making a speech at a prayer breakfast. Does he have to be "solving problems" every second of the day?

And the remarks were not "open-ended or pointless" IMO. They were appropriate for the venue. And I am not the only one who thinks so.

And yes, he volunteered to serve this country in it's highest position. Every second of every day for four years he should be doing nothing but working tirelessly on improving America in every possible way. It's a problem of lack of professionalism and sense of duty. I think you over estimate my use of the word "disappointed" as well, the prayer breakfast led to the same disappointment that I feel when I hear he's throwing a big party, or going to the golf course. screwing up a speech, because obviously you didn't care enough to perfect it, being uninformed on the subject at hand during questioning. ( I threw Bush let downs in there too)

"And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ,” Obama said. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ"

It's useless rhetoric, and not even entirely correct. The crusades were thought of to help with the instability and infighting going on throughout Europe at the time, the Church wanted to create a power vacuum of nobles so that they could then fill that space and rule. Christianity was for the most part united by the churches call to war whereas Islam is fragmented a huge amount on what is right or wrong. Comparing the crusades to ISIS is insane, ISIS would have to grow 10x bigger and inscrease their atrocities 100 fold to even come close to the crusades, you might as well compare getting a bee sting to being shot. Slavery was the product of having crap foresight and a belief that ethnicity was the ultimate determining factor in someones station in life, if there were calls that Jesus had ordered darker skinned people to be enslaved to lighter skinned people it couldn't have been too popular as I've rarely heard it mentioned. I admit I'm not all that familiar with the new testament, or the orders of past popes... so if it does at any point call for all people of African ancestry to be enslaved, my bad.

I would actually be very interested if someone could point me to popular literature of the time that said Jesus hates black people (or something to that effect)

Well, I guess that puts you into the Obama Sux /Liberals are dumb crowd.

I just don't understand how that speech reflects "lack of professionalism or sense of duty". :-\ It was a perfectly appropriate speech to make at a multi-religion prayer breakfast during a time of religious radicalism.

There's something going on here with the way people are reacting to this. And I'll be the first to admit I don't understand it.

disappointed or upset?

......I would actually be very interested if someone could point me to popular literature of the time that said Jesus hates black people (or something to that effect)

And this illustrates my point perfectly. In no way did Obama suggest that Christianity itself is responsible for it's misuse by people citing it as reason for their terrorism or blood letting.

The fact you could interpret it that way is what I find so strange. It's an expression of religious defensiveness - if not paranoia - that just baffles me. It seems related to the persecution complex that is often expressed by self-proclaimed Christians.

That's an insane non sequitur. You have clearly upped Tim. Congratulations.

Red Herring for lunch?

disappointed or upset?

I just don't understand how that speech reflects "lack of professionalism or sense of duty". :-\ It was a perfectly appropriate speech to make at a multi-religion prayer breakfast during a time of religious radicalism.

There's something going on here with the way people are reacting to this. And I'll be the first to admit I don't understand it.

Would it make it easier for you if I told you the idea of the breakfast at all also disappoints me? Hearing our CiC make lame jokes and thank gods time and time again disappoints me.

And that was a long damn speech with nothing of substance to speak of, 100% concentrating on the problem and past problems 0% on the solution.

The entire mindset is insane but, that is exactly why that door never should have been opened. Not very politically savvy. And, the necessary context is too tedious for a prayer breakfast.

I didn't read it as Obama blaming Christians, as much as trying to say it happens in all forms of religious beliefs. He follows his comments about the Crusades and the Inquisition with "So this is not unique to one group or one religion. There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency that can pervert and distort our faith."

I'm not sure what the purpose was of this topic by bringing up the evil of what white men did to black men decades ago, but both that and the current acts of ISIS, whether one wants to believe they are fully following Islam or not, are horrible acts of violence and terrorism. Thing is, nowadays, Christians, Buddhists, Catholics, are not committing wide spread acts of terrorism in the name of their religion like the Islamic extremists. I do know that it is a small number of those that believe in Islamic teachings, but right now, this small group is committing GREAT acts of violence ALL over the world in some cases in mass murders. To me though, it is in today's age unique to the Islamic extremists, who commit acts of mass murder and/or targeted to inidividuals.

Mims, yes slavery has existed for 1000s of years and by people of all ethnicity, even within their own race, making the "lower class", not born of certain blood line, slaves. No, Christ did not "any point call for all people of African ancestry to be enslaved". Slavery was a part of that time period as it has been for 1000s of years. As Obama pointed out that the one fundamental truth that most religions have embraced/encouraged is LOVE. A hard concept to grasp given the violence and hatred expended by the few that wish to do others harm. People can get crazy stupid standing up for their religious beliefs and do atrocious things!! It's very sad.

disappointed or upset?

Would it make it easier for you if I told you the idea of the breakfast at all also disappoints me? Hearing our CiC make lame jokes and thank gods time and time again disappoints me.

And that was a long damn speech with nothing of substance to speak of, 100% concentrating on the problem and past problems 0% on the solution.

Well I agree with you about the breakfast. It's constitutionally inappropriate IMO.

I still think you are widely off-base regarding the speech. It was obviously not intended - nor should have been - to lay out strategy. After all it would be wildly inappropriate to address actual policy during a "prayer breakfast. To be disappointed because "solutions" weren't laid out is so naive as to be childish IMO.

Red Herring for lunch?

Nope. It's literally the issue at hand. Try & catch up

disappointed or upset?

It was the equivalent of an after-dinner speech. It was to partly entertain and partly to throw out food for thought.

The sort of speech you are talking about would be a state of the union or, more likely, a special presidential address.

Red Herring for lunch?

Nope. It's literally the issue at hand. Try & catch up

No. Only in the world of the extremely partisan.

disappointed or upset?

Well I agree with you about the breakfast. It's constitutionally inappropriate IMO.

I still think you are widely off-base regarding the speech. It was obviously not intended - nor should have been - to lay out strategy. After all it would be wildly inappropriate to address actual policy during a "prayer breakfast. To be disappointed because "solutions" weren't laid out is so naive as to be childish IMO.

In a very drawn out and roundabout way I believe we reached an agreement:)

The speech was disappointing because it was at an inappropriate meeting, the meeting was disappointing because it was a prayer breakfast.

Who knew Andrea was so extremely partisan ???

Oh, wait... She really is. But to the Left.

The entire mindset is insane but, that is exactly why that door never should have been opened. Not very politically savvy. And, the necessary context is too tedious for a prayer breakfast.

I don't get this theological complexity complaint. Its not complicated nor is it theological to begin with.

I also think the old history vs. the current argument holds up. Everyone knows what the current problem is. It has nothing to do with time. It has to do with violence being justified using religion as part or all of the motivation.

Examples of similar abuse with other religions aren't all that distant. For example, the "troubles' in Ireland weren't all that long ago. And one can find more recent incidents involving Hindus and even Buddhists committing atrocities against other religious groups.

And it's not the scale of this sort of activity that's at issue. It's the qualitative mindset he was addressing. It was perfectly appropriate for the venue.

If Obama was not offering excuses for ISIS atrocities what was the purpose of the comparison? Why is Homer complicit in this excusal?

He was not "offering excuses for ISIS atrocities". That is a dumb, simpleminded, misguided interpretation.

He was making the point that the problem here is not Islam per se', it is one of religious extremism. He illustrated that point by pointing out that Christianity and other religions beside Islam have experienced problems with religious extremists at various times.

Does that help or do you require further explanation?

Christianity's history versus current Islamic atrocities. He was making excuses for ISIS. You are making excuses for Obama. I subscribe to Occam's razor on this one.

Archived