Men at Kentucky Post-Game Thread

InfernoOrangeSS

AU is still 3 years from having a shot at the dance. Bruce will get them there but you can see from tonight's game how far they have to go.

AU is still 3 years from having a shot at the dance. Bruce will get them there but you can see from tonight's game how far they have to go.

Kinda hard IMO is figuring how far we have to go....personally, I don't see UK as the goal 'cause as long as JC is there and the current rules are the rules, we are not getting there and should not be frustrated by not getting there.

But the chance to get to the dance might not be too far away. Scoring consistency and some decent inside defensive play will make a lot of difference and get us into the upper tier of the SEC at least. In any given game we are competitive with the rest of the SEC....just never know from game to game.

Heck, we were only down 52-26 at the half. I sat through one Barbee-coached game when we were down 37-6 at the half, to LSU at home! That was our first conference game in the brand-new Auburn Arena. We're way ahead of where we have been.

Heck, we were only down 52-26 at the half. I sat through one Barbee-coached game when we were down 37-6 at the half, to LSU at home! That was our first conference game in the brand-new Auburn Arena. We're way ahead of where we have been.

Only lost by 8 points last year....Barbee probably sitting on the UK bench after the game thinking.... "I could have done better than that".... :)

Two terrible hires, Lebo & Barbee, is the reason we are in this mess that Bruce is trying to clean up. Barbee is the worst bball coach in AU history and Lebo is not far behind. CBP will make us a better bball program, but I agree that we are 2 or maybe 3 years away from getting there.

Don't think so...Ellis had us in trouble with the NCAA....had to let him go....which was the mess that Lebo inherited...so the issues mentioned above did not start with Lebo....just saying....when you look for scapegoats you have to be thorough with the process.

Ellis was the best BB coach in AU history,

Don't think so...Ellis had us in trouble with the NCAA....had to let him go....which was the mess that Lebo inherited...so the issues mentioned above did not start with Lebo....just saying....when you look for scapegoats you have to be thorough with the process.

And the same goes for Barbee. The program was so far down in the hole that it's really not fair to blame him for all of it either. He had nothing to work with.

BP should be able to rebuild AU basketball because he has a successful resume and the personality to draw in better recruits. In a few years it will look a lot different.

Sorry, but Ellis is the best coach in AU history. Record wise he is the better coach and the only coach I know to have AU ranked number 1. Yes the NCAA came calling, but the same can be said of Coach Dye. Ellis was found not to have been apart of the violations.

Sorry, but Ellis is the best coach in AU history. Record wise he is the better coach and the only coach I know to have AU ranked number 1. Yes the NCAA came calling, but the same can be said of Coach Dye. Ellis was found not to have been apart of the violations.

I think Sonny. He took us deeper into the tournament than anyone. I agree that Ellis had us at number one, but Sonny took us to the Elite Eight. Both great AU coaches, though.

Bob Davis

j/k

Bob Davis was probably the best recruiter we've ever had. I've got a more than sneaking suspicion he had some help here and there but for a short few years we had some fine basketball players on the court. His teams were fun to watch and they won some games.

I never fully understood what went wrong between AU and Dr. Davis, but it ended in bitterness from both sides.

Bob Davis

j/k

Bob Davis was probably the best recruiter we've ever had. I've got a more than sneaking suspicion he had some help here and there but for a short few years we had some fine basketball players on the court. His teams were fun to watch and they won some games.

I never fully understood what went wrong between AU and Dr. Davis, but it ended in bitterness from both sides.

Same here I never found out what happen at the end, but man he could recruit from everywhere. Got Stan Piethiewicz from little old Winter Park Fl High School. Here's a little story on how AU got Stan.

http://www.gadsdenti...30359?p=1&tc=pg

And Davis was one of the funniest coaches around. Once said his team was so tight you could have played the Star Spangled Banner on their spine at game time.

He and CM Newton both coached small college teams on periphery of Lexington and Adolph Rump. The Baron would ask for his team to come scrimmage with his All Americans. Davis said they were doing so one day and there was a collision and Louie Dampier,one of his stars, was knocked out. Davis was scared to death that one of his players had hurt Dampier. Said Coach Rump went and leaned over Dampier and when he came to,he asked him who the hell was guarding his man? Guess those were the good ole days of coaching....

Bob Davis pulling Mike Mitchell and Myles Patrick out of Georgia was no small feat either. I was at Dr. Haynes's house the night Mitchell, Patrick and Jackie Dorsey were on their official visits. There was a party there to welcome them. Everybody was thinking that even getting them to Auburn on a visit was huge and signing even one of those guys was unlikely. However it was done, we got two of the three and Dorsey went to UGA. Corky Frost was all over the place that night.

Those good ol' days didn't last long enough!

Archived