AU Offense predictions

TexasTiger

I'm more concerned about points than I am about the yards. Last season we had trouble getting the ball into the end zone. Does not do much good to run up and down the field all night....and have to settle for FGs or turn the ball over on downs. Our record last year reflected our inability to cash in our our drives.

Re: McLoofus comment

"Auburn had 55 offensive touchdowns last year. Of the top 20 teams in the nation in terms of total offense, only 3 of them had fewer. Mississippi State had 60. Baylor had 81. Oregon had 86."

SO.....the issue to me is: what will we do differently this year to put TDs on the board instead of kicking t a couple 25 yd FGs about every game?

I think we'll have more points this year than 2010 or 2013 due to the fact that our defense (hopefully) will be much improved and will allow us to work with a shorter field. This will equate to more possessions but on a shorter field, so I don't predict much deviation in yards.

This is the kind of discussion when I really miss Stat-man. He could cover you up in numbers but had a way of revealing the truth that was unequaled IMO.

The bottom line to me is that we had a ton of yards and lost 5 games....several of which should have been won with a better red-zone offense. I don't know if it was Gus, Lashlee or Marshall, but we blew a ton of scoring opportunities ....and if AU is going all the way this season as so many people are predicting, the red zone offense MUST be more efficient.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/37/redzone/offense/split.html

Check this site: Note that we scored only 10 TDs out of 23 opportunities in our five losses.

This is the kind of discussion when I really miss Stat-man. He could cover you up in numbers but had a way of revealing the truth that was unequaled IMO.

The bottom line to me is that we had a ton of yards and lost 5 games....several of which should have been won with a better red-zone offense. I don't know if it was Gus, Lashlee or Marshall, but we blew a ton of scoring opportunities ....and if AU is going all the way this season as so many people are predicting, the red zone offense MUST be more efficient.

http://www.cfbstats....ense/split.html

Check this site: Note that we scored only 10 TDs out of 23 opportunities in our five losses.

I expect us to see significantly improved H back/tight end involvement this season, which should definitely help in the red zone. I also think we were too scared to pass last year, because honestly, with his size and catch radius Duke is made for that area of the field and if Jeremy feeds him like he should, he will lead the league in receiving touchdowns easily

"I expect us to see significantly improved H back/tight end involvement this season, which should definitely help in the red zone"

I hope that is correct.....we had a lot of what I will call "unusual" play calls down in the red zone and more than I like to remember we took a first and 10 inside the opponent's 20 and turned it into a second and 12 or 15 or something.

Maybe those unusual and high risk plays were what the coaches thought they had to do when the defense closed in tight but scoring TDs only about 40% of the time in the red zone with our offense? That's hard to explain.

It's hard to fault the offense too much when the defense was so bad, but the red zone percentage should have been higher with the weapons Auburn had on offense. I think there were several factors which affected efficiency-- (1) inconsistent passing attack (both fault of QB and WRs) (2) new starting RB (3) new FG kicker (4) injury to one of the best OL - Kozan and (5) facing SEC defenses in the 2nd half of the season.

Even if the offense is more consistent and efficient in the red zone this year, going up against SEC defenses is going to take a toll on your statistics. If Johnson proves to be a significant upgrade in terms of passing efficiency as most expect, then this will take care of itself. Marshall was a high risk/high reward QB. When it worked, a big-time play resulted. When it didn't, drives stalled unexpectedly. Some of this was due to the situation that the defense put the offense in, though not always. Johnson is a more accurate passer, based on limited evidence thus far, so drives should be a bit more easily sustained. As long as the defense improves some and Johnson proves to be an accurate passer against SEC defenses, then the Auburn offense will be more consistent in the red zone.

Last year, the coaching staff wanted to run the ball, just as they had in 2013 when it had so much succcess in doing so. But, with the factors mentioned above, defenses adapting, and Robinson/Mason in the NFL, the rushing attack wasn't as dominating in 2014. Last year was a transition year. With an off-season to adapt, plenty of time to prepare Johnson, and Williams returning, the passing attack will be more consistent and more of a consistent weapon.

If the Auburn defense can end opponent's drives maybe 2 times more a game, then I am confident that the 2015 offense will score enough points to win at least 10-11 games. But, SEC teams with good defenses are still going to be difficult to beat, especially on the road. Even playoff contenders are going to struggle in that situation. Just the nature of the SEC.

I notice that AU was ranked #31 in red zone offense last year......that kind of number will probably not win a championship. Granted that SEC defenses are tough but several SEC teams were higher than AU last year.

However it's done....get need to be able to be more efficient inside the 20.

Archived