09 23 15 Notes

RunInRed

I agree with all of you about being a culture problem that WM is trying to correct. It has been a bad mix of coaches, systems, and players over the years. It is going to take years to fix this with several top defensive recruiting classes learning one system. You can't fix 8 years of bad defenses in a few months, especially when you are missing some key elements.

As I said earlier - this last class we signed was the best defensive class we have had in years. We need 3 more classes with more top interior DL and linebackers. In this league, if you do not have a top front 7 (to stop the run) you are toast.

he has a lot of work in front of him.

Count me in that group. I don't want to be extreme but, at this point, I don't care about potential, stars, talent level, size, speed, etc. Play the meanest, most competitive 11 guys you have. I would like to see a defense that is intimidating, not one that lives in fear of "giving up the big play".

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if it was only 1 play, there has to be 'some' kind of response to an upper classman playing like that, for the obvious reasons.

A response, sure. A punishment of some sort, most likely.

The demand for a benching just seemed to me too much a personal desire to see proof positive that some form of 'proper' punishment was meted. I trust CWM to discipline his players and get the D working. How he does it is up to him.

...I inferred that in the context of the entire game, he thought it wasn't huge. Maybe fan embarrassment isn't CWM's highest priority right now...

Fan embarrassment? How about players quitting on the field? The fans aren't being irrational by being embarrassed of that crap. Champ should be embarrassed that someone he sent out on the field "performed" that way. This isn't about fans being embarrassed, it's about holding players accountable. I don't expect 100% execution but I damn sure do expect 100% effort 100% of the time.

I feel the same way as you, Chimes. Too many great men have worked their butts off at Auburn to give it the reputation it has for our current players to go on national television and play like they don't care.

I'm not advocating sitting players like Ford who normally try hard out, but we have a couple of guys on the starting Defense who deserve a good benching based on their 4 years of mostly lazy play. I won't call them by name, but their names rhyme with Criss Crossed, and Brasamova McMimmzy.

Yeah let's sit Ford down and lose....that'll teach him a lesson

your attitude reflects the same attitude that has allowed these players to remain soft and play soft for their entire careers...coddling players that keep making the same mistakes?....allowing halfass effort to go on without paying a price?....you see what it brings with this bunch....some dogs won't hunt no matter how much they're trained

your attitude reflects the same attitude that has allowed these players to remain soft and play soft for their entire careers...coddling players that keep making the same mistakes?....allowing halfass effort to go on without paying a price?....you see what it brings with this bunch....some dogs won't hunt no matter how much they're trained

And for you, as discipline ("paying a price") goes, only the pillory will do?

Ha. Yea I was just wondering because even as bad as things have been, I could at least say, "well at least we have Peyton"

It's still tailback by committee. Roc Thomas didn't exactly have a bad game.

So you believe that Ford getting away with that kind of loafing play is okay and he should be rewarded with the start? That is how an entitlement culture is grown. You don't sit him at least for a couple of series or more, and you send the message that that kind of laziness is okay. Bad precedent to set for the younger players.

We did lose. He was on the field.

So let's do it again! Clearly if me wasn't on the field we would have won....

So you believe that Ford getting away with that kind of loafing play is okay and he should be rewarded with the start? That is how an entitlement culture is grown. You don't sit him at least for a couple of series or more, and you send the message that that kind of laziness is okay. Bad precedent to set for the younger players.

Drill him in practice. Regardless this is the one position drop that worried muschamp the most

I'm thrilled to finally hear a DC call out our problems bluntly. We have all suspected these problems, but everyone has just given implication or coach speak. I have to wonder about the kinds of players we were recruiting on Defense all these years. Recruiting just for talent has it's problems. Were we not also looking at how coachable these players are and who has the heart to actually play the game and the desire to be physical? My impression with our D for a long-time has been laziness at its core. It's like they expect to just get by, no one seems to have the fire lit under them to be physical and stop plays.

We did lose. He was on the field.

So let's do it again! Clearly if me wasn't on the field we would have won....

I would commend the use of that tactic with anyone but me!

You know that has nothing to do with it. He was on the field. His level of effort was affected by the score. The threat of losing is not going to deter anyone from taking action that will make Rudy have to think about what that means.

Make no mistake, I do not wish to "punish" him. I want him to learn something about competing on a team.

Anyone hear about Lane Kiffin? Any news? is he toast?

?

If this isn't allowed, sorry, but i like to try and be in the rumors most likely to become true. If you look on twitter #lanekiffin , some are saying infidelity with staff might earn him the bodyspray.

Anyone hear about Lane Kiffin? Any news? is he toast?

?

If this isn't allowed, sorry, but i like to try and be in the rumors most likely to become true. If you look on twitter #lanekiffin , some are saying infidelity with staff might earn him the bodyspray.

This talk should be beneath us. Since when did the Auburn message board involve issues regarding unsubstantiated allegations about an Alabama football coach. Don't go into the gutter on this...we are better than that.

Archived