09 23 15 Notes

RunInRed

I have to think Ford and Frost will be riding the bench to start the game off. both had embarrassing displays on Saturday

Ford has been our leading tackler in every game this season. He's not going to the bench for one questionable play.

He's been our leading tackler because the other teams we face break into the secondary almost every play

Like back in 2012 where McNeal was our leading tackler but only 7 of those was TFL. Matter of fact, I'd have to say having a DB as your leading tackler isn't even a good thing.

This statement, while accurate, has nothing to do with your silly idea that Ford should be benched because of one play.

Ford was the best option we had opposite of Tray. But Ford is out of position 70% of the time. Look for some of the younger guys to start playing. The fact of the matter is the D has a bunch of sissy's play on it right now. And CWM is having to do some "culture change". And sissy was not the word that was used.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to think Ford and Frost will be riding the bench to start the game off. both had embarrassing displays on Saturday

Ford has been our leading tackler in every game this season. He's not going to the bench for one questionable play.

He's been our leading tackler because the other teams we face break into the secondary almost every play

Like back in 2012 where McNeal was our leading tackler but only 7 of those was TFL. Matter of fact, I'd have to say having a DB as your leading tackler isn't even a good thing.

This statement, while accurate, has nothing to do with your silly idea that Ford should be benched because of one play.

Ford was the best option we had opposite of Tray. But Ford is out of position 70% of the time. Look for some of the younger guys to start playing. The fact of the matter is the D has a bunch of sissy's play on it right now. And CWM is having to do some "culture change". And sissy was not the word that was used.

Good, let the young guys play. I can deal with poor results if the effort and physicality is there. The rest will come in time.

In yesterday's AL.com Will was quoted as saying he's "never been in a situation like this before." Now that's something to chew on for a bit.

Hmmmm....Brian VanGorder said the same damn thing in his short stint here. Ellis is more "politically correct" when addressing the public, he wasn't as truthful at Muschamp has been about the lack of effort, energy and softness of this defense.

In yesterday's AL.com Will was quoted as saying he's "never been in a situation like this before." Now that's something to chew on for a bit.

He was talking about the "culture" of the D. See my other post.

Was it Chizik/Roof that brought this culture? Or was it Chizik/VanGorder or Malzhan/Johnson that did it?

The "culture" of any program starts and ends with the head man in charge.

Ford did dog it, Matthews did that pole vault maneuver. Those were the only pure effort plays i saw by defense that were memorable. I won't freak out over two plays. Getting thumped might make it tough to stay agressive for 60 minutes. It's lack of instincts or "want to" as cwm described it that concerns me. It starts with LBs.

Was it Chizik/Roof that brought this culture? Or was it Chizik/VanGorder or Malzhan/Johnson that did it?

Chizik. Roof was a damn good DC. Roof had Bolt in his ear all the time. As did VanGorder and Johnson. Johnson quit middle of the year last year.

Good, let the young guys play. I can deal with poor results if the effort and physicality is there. The rest will come in time.

This.

Florida was a freaking train wreck.

Yikes.

Florida wasn't a train wreck on defense.

Ford did dog it, Matthews did that pole vault maneuver. Those were the only pure effort plays i saw by defense that were memorable. I won't freak out over two plays. Getting thumped might make it tough to stay agressive for 60 minutes. It's lack of instincts or "want to" as cwm described it that concerns me. It starts with LBs.

Tray has a messed up shoulder. About all he could do was go high. Wasn't pretty. Ford's effort was laughable all game.

Chizik brought the culture. Roof and BVG have done just fine elsewhere. CEJ was turning it around and then something broke, so Malzahn fired him and hired the best, toughest DC in the country.

*In the time that it took me to type this, WDE gave us a better scoop

Questionable? That play wasn't questionable. That play was embarrassing and the entire country saw him do it. I will be very surprised if Ford starts Saturday. He shouldn't.

This. It as inexcusable. I don't think he starts and I hope his replacement gives max effort

Florida was a freaking train wreck.

Yikes.

Florida wasn't a train wreck on defense.

True, sorry, meant to say that he inherited a train wreck. I remain firm in my opinion that he is the best DC in the country because UF's was so good on his watch despite having a pitiful offense.

Thank you Mikey. The kid has played his heart out all year and the Auburn faithful are feeding him to the wolves over one play. The play was ugly but look at the whole body of his work this year.

More on Ford being benched:

Not saying fans shouldn't be embarrassed by that kind of play. Nobody likes to see that kind of play. I felt more than a bit of fremdschämen, myself. But CWM didn't sound all that upset about the one play and may not change the starting lineup due to one or two plays.

CWM did say he's going to play more kids and I'm glad to hear it.

More on Ford being benched:

Not saying fans shouldn't be embarrassed by that kind of play. Nobody likes to see that kind of play. I felt more than a bit of fremdschämen, myself. But CWM didn't sound all that upset about the one play and may not change the starting lineup due to one or two plays.

CWM did say he's going to play more kids and I'm glad to hear it.

Fremdshamen- nice! That's new for me. Very useful. Thank you.

Thank you Mikey. The kid has played his heart out all year and the Auburn faithful are feeding him to the wolves over one play. The play was ugly but look at the whole body of his work this year.

Mental lapses happen. Plays like that shouldn't be allowed to. That one play was an EGREGIOUS lack of effort. Maybe Muschamp does shrug it off but I couldn't. I'm not saying bench him all year but I sure as hell would for the first quarter or half.

Just because it's 1 play shouldn't keep him from punishment. That's like saying "How could you suspend that cop because of 1 bribe taken? Look at his whole body of work" or "How could you fire that pilot because of 1 incident of trying to fly drunk? Look at his whole body of work" .........and so on.

that attitude is why this defense is soft and plays flag football....bench his butt and send a message and stick to it....either play like a man or go take ballet lessons

I agree with all of you about being a culture problem that WM is trying to correct. It has been a bad mix of coaches, systems, and players over the years. It is going to take years to fix this with several top defensive recruiting classes learning one system. You can't fix 8 years of bad defenses in a few months, especially when you are missing some key elements.

As I said earlier - this last class we signed was the best defensive class we have had in years. We need 3 more classes with more top interior DL and linebackers. In this league, if you do not have a top front 7 (to stop the run) you are toast.

he has a lot of work in front of him.

I agree with all of you about being a culture problem that WM is trying to correct. It has been a bad mix of coaches, systems, and players over the years. It is going to take years to fix this with several top defensive recruiting classes learning one system. You can't fix 8 years of bad defenses in a few months, especially when you are missing some key elements.

As I said earlier - this last class we signed was the best defensive class we have had in years. We need 3 more classes with more top interior DL and linebackers. In this league, if you do not have a top front 7 (to stop the run) you are toast.

Great post.

As for Ford, I'm not sure everybody is taking everything into consideration. I'm not saying it was just one bad play, and I'm not saying that the one bad play was forgivable. But I'm not sure how we arrive at the assumption that benching him is what's best for the team, or that it's the only option for ensuring that he give maximum effort going forward. I'd hate to see how most of us would handle 30 minutes in the film room with Will Muschamp after something like that, much less a week of practice.

Maybe benching him ends up being the right thing to do, but I don't see it as the only option here, particularly when depth at safety was one of our #1 concerns going into the season.

Great post.

As for Ford, I'm not sure everybody is taking everything into consideration. I'm not saying it was just one bad play, and I'm not saying that the one bad play was forgivable. But I'm not sure how we arrive at the assumption that benching him is what's best for the team, or that it's the only option for ensuring that he give maximum effort going forward. I'd hate to see how most of us would handle 30 minutes in the film room with Will Muschamp after something like that, much less a week of practice.

Maybe benching him ends up being the right thing to do, but I don't see it as the only option here, particularly when depth at safety was one of our #1 concerns going into the season.

Ok, maybe not benching him because that might affect the team as a whole( wouldn't have anyone to play patty-cake with the opposing RB). Definitely some sort of punishment though. Can't just gloss over that.

Great post.

Ok, maybe not benching him because that might affect the team as a whole( wouldn't have anyone to play patty-cake with the opposing RB). Definitely some sort of punishment though. Can't just gloss over that.

Oh, no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going all Clockwork Orange on him with the replay. Maybe they've got him standing there with his pants down and his thumb in his mouth while the rest of the team does up-downs, Full Metal Jacket-style. Okay, enough with the Kubrick references, y'all catch my drift. He made some awesome movies, though.

Archived