09 23 15 Notes

RunInRed

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised we haven't seen more 3 man fronts...maybe with M. Adams playing some DE. Idk. I just think we gotta mix it up a little more. 1 on 1 nobody can stop Adams but he still struggles to beat doubles. That's what separates the good from the great...

Muschamp: "There are communication issues we've had the entire fall at linebacker and at safety. ... It's frustrating."

Didn't Coach Johnson say this all of last year too? There are, what, 3 or 4 players who played these positions last year also? Are these guys not smart enough to know the defensive calls or do they just forget everything when they get on the field?

Lack of communication isn't the same as messing up defensive calls. To mix sports, if you've ever seen a good defense in basketball, you know the playcall is the start. Then the best defenses are chatty. Our defenders signal plays but they don't chatter, and I doubt they communicate in zone. We've been poor at "passing the receiver" for years.

For as great as Chizik is a defensive coach he ruined Auburn's defense. The recruits he brought in here were 4 and 5 stars but apparently didn't have it between the ears. Auburn hasn't had a decent LB since Bynes. Gabe Wright was a good DT but Adams overshadowed him as a Freshman. I can't tell you the last time we had a dominant DB. The best players we have on D right now are Adams, Lawson, and Jones. 2/3 Malzahn recruits. Cowart apparently is coming on and I have a feeling we start seeing a lot more Tre Williams at LB. The secondary is being filled by transfers with Countess, Matthews, and the Ohio State kid who will be here next season. Give Gus and Muschamp a season to weed out the pieces that don't fit and Auburn will have at least a decent defense again.

For as great as Chizik is a defensive coach he ruined Auburn's defense. The recruits he brought in here were 4 and 5 stars but apparently didn't have it between the ears. Auburn hasn't had a decent LB since Bynes. Gabe Wright was a good DT but Adams overshadowed him as a Freshman. I can't tell you the last time we had a dominant DB. The best players we have on D right now are Adams, Lawson, and Jones. 2/3 Malzahn recruits. Cowart apparently is coming on and I have a feeling we start seeing a lot more Tre Williams at LB. The secondary is being filled by transfers with Countess, Matthews, and the Ohio State kid who will be here next season. Give Gus and Muschamp a season to weed out the pieces that don't fit and Auburn will have at least a decent defense again.

have we ever had a dominant DB?

LBs have been the main problem, i think. very inconsistent.

Carlos Rogers won the Thorpe Award

I have to think Ford and Frost will be riding the bench to start the game off. both had embarrassing displays on Saturday

Ford has been our leading tackler in every game this season. He's not going to the bench for one questionable play.

"have you been meeting with our defense? do you know how we line up?"

I know. Hilarious.

The room got real quiet after that. He still came back and tried to offer an answer. He's a little more explanatory than Gus but he didn't like that question for sure

Muschamp: "There are communication issues we've had the entire fall at linebacker and at safety. ... It's frustrating."

Didn't Coach Johnson say this all of last year too? There are, what, 3 or 4 players who played these positions last year also? Are these guys not smart enough to know the defensive calls or do they just forget everything when they get on the field?

i think he's emphasizing adjustments and concepts. I swear since Van Gorder, EJ it seems like they always have to dumb down the playbook, throw out half the calls just to simplify things. Really crazy that senior linebackers can't rock and roll by now...bad communication and they run past the qb with them dead in their sights

I have to think Ford and Frost will be riding the bench to start the game off. both had embarrassing displays on Saturday

Ford has been our leading tackler in every game this season. He's not going to the bench for one questionable play.

He's been our leading tackler because the other teams we face break into the secondary almost every play

Like back in 2012 where McNeal was our leading tackler but only 7 of those was TFL. Matter of fact, I'd have to say having a DB as your leading tackler isn't even a good thing.

Not sure I completely agree with this. Chizik had issues with depth and talent in pretty much every season. That lead to a lot of really passive defensive coaching because we just didn't have the bodies to play up tempo and aggressive on defense. That's why Chizik slowed the pace down on Malzahn in 2011. It's also the reason he hired Loeffler and Van Gorder. He wanted to slow our offensive pace down and play more aggressive defense. Besides, Chizik has been gone for several years now. Most of the players on the team were Malzahn era recruits.

Ellis Johnson is the guy that deserves the blame. It is clear that he (and his position coaches) were doing a horrible job developing these guys mentally and in fundamentals.

He's been our leading tackler because the other teams we face break into the secondary almost every play

Like back in 2012 where McNeal was our leading tackler but only 7 of those was TFL. Matter of fact, I'd have to say having a DB as your leading tackler isn't even a good thing.

boy do I agree with this

This statement, while accurate, has nothing to do with your silly idea that Ford should be benched because of one play.

Questionable? That play wasn't questionable. That play was embarrassing and the entire country saw him do it. I will be very surprised if Ford starts Saturday. He shouldn't.

It was interesting that These lbs considered entering the draft early

A lot of NFL scouts place a premium on metrics. If a guy is big, strong and fast, then they feel that they can take care of the rest. Frost was fairly high on some preseason mock drafts this year.

Any good football player who has met his eligibility requirements would be a fool not to test the waters. And I think they usually have adults in their lives who get that ball rolling for them.

On Ford being benched:

I'm sure Ford heard about it during film review, but Muschamp touched on that play in the press conference and I inferred that in the context of the entire game, he thought it wasn't huge. Maybe fan embarrassment isn't CWM's highest priority right now. He's having trouble finding people who can play. Ford can play. I'm thinking Ford takes the field first series.

In yesterday's AL.com Will was quoted as saying he's "never been in a situation like this before." Now that's something to chew on for a bit.

Florida was a freaking train wreck.

Yikes.

...I inferred that in the context of the entire game, he thought it wasn't huge. Maybe fan embarrassment isn't CWM's highest priority right now...

Fan embarrassment? How about players quitting on the field? The fans aren't being irrational by being embarrassed of that crap. Champ should be embarrassed that someone he sent out on the field "performed" that way. This isn't about fans being embarrassed, it's about holding players accountable. I don't expect 100% execution but I damn sure do expect 100% effort 100% of the time.

On Ford being benched:

I'm sure Ford heard about it during film review, but Muschamp touched on that play in the press conference and I inferred that in the context of the entire game, he thought it wasn't huge. Maybe fan embarrassment isn't CWM's highest priority right now. He's having trouble finding people who can play. Ford can play. I'm thinking Ford takes the field first series.

So what message does that send to the team? It's okay to loaf and quit on plays? Muschamp said early on that you earn your position every day. Ford shouldn't start. He may earn it back, but he lost his slot on that play. He didn't miss a tackle, he quit. He embarrassed himself, not me.

Archived