Gus Malzahn's Postgame Presser - San Jose State

RunInRed

It's obvious Gus doesn't give a damn about the pressers lol it's pretty funny actually

Agree. At this point i find them hilarious and wonder why anyone would read much into what he's saying to be honest. Just going through the emotions during them.

But did you guys call him and talk to him?

There's no question.

But was it a collect call?

Gus is one of the better people to call collect in all of college football, no doubt.

Because he'd for sure accept the charges!

He takes what the defense gives him.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coaching at AU has got to be one of the greatest/worst jobs in college football just behind Alabama.

Gus didn't prove a damn thing while he was here in 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2013 and 2014. He was just lucky I guess? Lmao

Gus on QBs: "We'll take this thing week to week like we've been doing. We're starting to get good answers to the questions we needed"

WTF?

Ten passes? What could he possibly learn?

That we are not a good passing team?

Coaching at AU has got to be one of the greatest/worst jobs in college football just behind Alabama.

Gus didn't prove a damn thing while he was here in 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2013 and 2014. He was just lucky I guess? Lmao

Does the CEO of a big company get let off the hook when profits suffer because he/she used to make money? When you are paid millions, have the talent, tthe coaches, and the product isn't there, inquiring minds want to know.

He knew full well what he was getting into and it's not just us and bama.

Does the CEO of a big company get let off the hook when profits suffer because he/she used to make money? When you are paid millions, have the talent, tthe coaches, and the product isn't there, inquiring minds want to know.

He knew full well what he was getting into and it's not just us and bama.

I don't get the football coach/CEO analogy. If anything, Gus should be compared to a teacher -- an exhorbitantly paid teacher, yes; but a teacher nonetheless. He bears some responsibility for the performance of his pupils; but they have to do their parts, too.

Yeah, he's not enjoying himself right now. It's almost as if he's had a highly touted qb lose his talent, his best player out for the season, his star receiver not give a rip, and the rest of the guys are not executing. He should be a little more upbeat, don't ya think? :dunno:

Have faith, people. We'll get it together...............hopefully.

And as a teacher, I love that analogy, Britt.

Seems more apt than CEO to me. Thanks for being a teacher, by the way! Very undervalued these days.

Yeah, but what has he done for us lately? ;)

And as a teacher, I love that analogy, Britt.

Seems more apt than CEO to me. Thanks for being a teacher, by the way! Very undervalued these days.

Yes, because as a head coach he spends most of his time teaching players, right?

I prefer the CEO analogy.

Gus's challenge is to figure out the required needs for a championship season - both tangible and intangible - and then work like hell to ensure we meet those needs every year. If the problem is teaching (coaching) then he needs to hire the right teachers (coaches). (Hiring Muschamp was an excellent move.)

Hopefully, he is identifying exactly what the differences are between his good teams and the bad ones. This requires experience, but he needs to be introspective, analytical and objective. He has set a high standard for himself which only increases the urgency.

Nevertheless, I can forgive him for a bad season but I want to see some improvement - or at least change - as the season progresses.

If he really is clueless, we are screwed, as it will get worse.

War Eagle!

Gus's challenge is to figure out the required needs for a championship season - both tangible and intangible - and then work like hell to ensure we meet those needs every year. If the problem is teaching (coaching) then he needs to hire the right teachers (coaches). (Hiring Muschamp was an excellent move.)

Hopefully, he is identifying exactly what the differences are between his good teams and the bad ones. This requires experience, but he needs to be introspective, analytical and objective. He has set a high standard for himself which only increases the urgency.

Nevertheless, I can forgive him for a bad season but I want to see some sort of progression - or at least change - as the season progresses.

If he really is clueless, we are screwed as it will get worse.

War Eagle!

Agreed. The position coaches and Coordinators should be doing most of the player teaching/development. If Gus has to be involved in that too much, someone is having issues.

I wouldn't use 2011 and 2014 as an example at all if you're trying to give positive points towards Malzahn's offensive ability....2014 definitely shouldn't be indicative of how Malzahn runs a team

Nevertheless, I can forgive him for a bad season but I want to see some sort of progression - or at least change - as the season progresses.

War Eagle!

Agreed. The position coaches and Coordinators should be doing most of the player teaching/development. If Gus has to be involved in that too much, someone is having issues.

I don't know what Gus does on an hourly, day-to-day basis. But if a lot of it doesn't involve teaching, we're in trouble.

I'm not suggesting that Gus needs to get down in the trenches with CRG and teach proper use of hands when rushing the QB, BTW. It's easy to dismiss what I'm saying if you think I mean that. I don't.

Gus has to be half General, half teacher -- and frankly, a good General should also be a good teacher. Maybe a princpal is a better analogy; but they ought to be good teachers, too.

The whole CEO thing is just off. The college president shouldn't be a CEO, either. Nor should the AD. They're employees at a university, not at a corporation.

Do y'all consider yourselves shareholders in AU? Maybe this is part of the entitlement attitude I was referring to earlier ...?

I wouldn't use 2011 and 2014 as an example at all if you're trying to give positive points towards Malzahn's offensive ability....2014 definitely shouldn't be indicative of how Malzahn runs a team

I was wondering why '11 and '14 were thrown in there. Diversity? Show the good with the bad? Nice job torpedoing your own argument, emt.

And Gus is much more a CEO than teacher. His job is to ensure optimum performance from this team at all times. Right now our stock is in free fall.

War Eagle!

I don't know what Gus does on an hourly, day-to-day basis. But if a lot of it doesn't involve teaching, we're in trouble.

I'm not suggesting that Gus needs to get down in the trenches with CRG and teach proper use of hands when rushing the QB, BTW. It's easy to dismiss what I'm saying if you think I mean that. I don't.

Gus has to be half General, half teacher -- and frankly, a good General should also be a good teacher. Maybe a princpal is a better analogy; but they ought to be good teachers, too.

The whole CEO thing is just off. The college president shouldn't be a CEO, either. Nor should the AD. They're employees at a university, not at a corporation.

Do y'all consider yourselves shareholders in AU? Maybe this is part of the entitlement attitude I was referring to earlier ...?

Interesting....back in Chiz's day people complained about him meddling .....and now it seems that Gus is being criticized for not meddling. JMO but we have a bunch of coaches making $300K to over a million $$$....and if the reason for our problems is that Gus is not spending enough time "teaching" then things are even worse than most people understand.

War Eagle!

You are taking this way too literally. He has a heck of a lot more in common with a ceo than a teacher. Honestly what difference does it make if someone wants to refer to him as a ceo? I'm done discussing it. It's a ceo to me. I demand entrance to the next shareholder meeting.

I taught school btw and my principal rarely taught anyone anything, lol.

War Eagle!

With all due respect Britt (and I do mean that), this post is way off.

Interesting....back in Chiz's day people complained about him meddling .....and now it seems that Gus is being criticized for not meddling. JMO but we have a bunch of coaches making $300K to over a million $$$....and if the reason for our problems is that Gus is not spending enough time "teaching" then things are even worse than most people understand.

+1

AU pays assistants and coordinator salaries that are among the highest in college football. Those highly paid coaches are the people that "teach" and "develop" the talent on the team. Gus has way more important things to do than teach a player how to run a freakin route, block, tackle, or throw a damn football.

i think the posts bashing gus in interviews is about as stupid as you can get. why do coaches cover their mouths when discussing what to do? why would we let out opponents know who can play and who cannot based on injuries. remember earlier this year they said one of the teams knew our snap count? so why should he give away anything that might help whomever we play? i think some of yall are just piling on now. am i happy? no. have i given up? no. i will love my tigers with the last breath i draw. i am sure not gonna change teams or badmouth our players. i trust gus to make changes down the road if he deems it mandatory. i am still all in. no i am not a sunshine pumper but i am loyal to my school.

War Eagle!

:thumbsup:

War Eagle!

Like it or not, the football program is a complex, multi-million dollar organization. Gus is responsible for planning, hiring, organization and establishing the overall culture. If the problem is within the system, it's Gus's job to fix it. This may take time. If the problem is that Gus is not spending as much time as he should "teaching", then he's not doing his real job. His teaching should be restricted to providing an example for establishing the culture. (This is exactly why the overly conservative play calling is problematic.)

Everyone who supports Auburn's football program is a shareholder. Expecting to always win is perhaps excessive, but expecting to field a competitive product is not considering the investment we have made.

Archived