Gus Malzahn's Postgame Presser - San Jose State

RunInRed

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: "We're a run, play-action team. Balance means take what the defense is giving you."

I've still never heard a coach besides the guy at Ark limit his philosophy the way Gus does. It's like he would rather die than add a real passing game to his offense. He is trying to recruit passing QBs now and still refuses to have a passing game for them.

If they were "giving" us the run in the first half and we only took 67 yards against mighty sjsu I am speechless. Gus needs to take a few more minutes and think out his gameplan for press conferences as well. Baffling logic. We didn't wear them down until very late in the game.

They wore our d downn early. Thank goodnes for turnovers.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not as worried about the play calls being more a running mindset as much as I am the fact as they seem to get pushed all over the place. Yeah we wore SJST down, but that is not going to happen with the SEC opponents.

While the defense isn't stellar or remotely close to what we want them to be they seem to be trying. I see flashes of what they can be. I still think CWM will get the defense back once some of the upperclassmen have moved on and he gets younger players developed.

Offense just seems poorly coached and unprepared. Don't get me wrong, we have some players that are giving it all.....but some aren't and it shows. They are missing assignments on a regular basis and not playing as a unit. This is a reflection on the coaches.

They should put one of those Golden Flake Gus cardboard displays up at his next press conference and see if anyone notices. I don't even think reporters listen to him anymore.

If you are a run play action team it basically means you are trying to draw the safeties up to load the box then throw deep over their head. It's a very simple offense for a QB when it works the way it's supposed to. It really needs an all-world type of offensive line though. You not only have to run against that loaded box that's keying on the back but also allow time for those deep throws to develop downfield. We can't protect long enough to throw a deep ball and then we really don't have a Sammie type of guy that can snatch a jump ball out of the air. We are built more like a finesse team this year not a play action team. If this is the only offense Gus is ever going to run then he has to recruit for it and it doesn't appear he is doing that.

People on this site act like we can work on our passing game with just SW throwing it around - who's he going to throw it to? Gotta have receivers to catch it, otherwise he's just JJ.

I really don't understand the angst. You'd read these boards and think that we lost. This was a football game, not a scrimmage. You do what works, use what's been given to you, chalk up a W and move on to th next week.

The way some of you [extremely redacted] are acting, you probably think we are in danger of getting blown out by the bye week (and mean it). Get a grip.

Gus has never been very engaging with the media from what I have seen. It's just when he had the success he had in 13' and much of 14', no one really cares because then you're not really looking for explanations or reasons for doing X or Y.

When you lose or perform badly, however, you want some answers and GM still gives the same sort of responses he always does.

At least he's consistent I guess!

People on this site act like we can work on our passing game with just SW throwing it around - who's he going to throw it to? Gotta have receivers to catch it, otherwise he's just JJ.

I really don't understand the angst. You'd read these boards and think that we lost. This was a football game, not a scrimmage. You do what works, use what's been given to you, chalk up a W and move on to th next week.

The way some of you [extremely redacted] are acting, you probably think we are in danger of getting blown out by the bye week (and mean it). Get a grip.

no actually gus just didn't want Kentucky to see our pass plays.

no actually gus just didn't want Kentucky to see our pass plays.

Exactly!!! I can't believe everyone has forgotten that we are keeping everything close to the chest for our future opponents!!!

I mean if you can sling it in practice, why give it away in a game? After all, "good practices" seem to be a trademark of this team!

In addendum: we've played 5 games. This was the best we'd looked so far - granted, we've looked really bad. But to come to the conclusion that we are lost, wandering through the wilderness is asinine. You're supposed to show improvement week to week and we did. By definition, because 35>6 and W>L.

It's not where we want to be, not where we expected to be at the beginning of the season, but let's not act like yesterday was an embarrassment on the order of the JSU or LSU game. We scored 5 TDs. We had an opportunistic defense. Are there things to work on? Yes, but we are in a better place than we were a week ago.

In addendum: we've played 5 games. This was the best we'd looked so far - granted, we've looked really bad. But to come to the conclusion that we are lost, wandering through the wilderness is asinine. You're supposed to show improvement week to week and we did. By definition, because 35>6 and W>L.

It's not where we want to be, not where we expected to be at the beginning of the season, but let's not act like yesterday was an embarrassment on the order of the JSU or LSU game. We scored 5 TDs. We had an opportunistic defense. Are there things to work on? Yes, but we are in a better place than we were a week ago.

Honestly, I actually thought we looked better in many ways against Miss State than we did yesterday. I liked the results yesterday, better, obviously. But we only did a few things better against SJSU:

1. We scored in the red zone.

2. We forced turnovers.

3. We didn't turn the ball over.

I grant that those are all big things that contribute to winning games. But we also regressed in some areas:

1. We didn't pass or catch the ball well.

2. We couldn't stop SJSU either running or passing (unless we forced a turnover).

3. Other than the plays with Kerryon at Wildcat, I saw very little in the way of creativity on O. If anything, we were even more conservative than against Miss State.

The best we looked was on special teams, especially punting and the return game.

Honestly, I actually thought we looked better in many ways against Miss State than we did yesterday. I liked the results yesterday, better, obviously. But we only did a few things better against SJSU:

2. We forced turnovers.

I grant that those are all big things that contribute to winning games. But we also regressed in some areas:

2. We couldn't stop SJSU either running or passing (unless we forced a turnover).

3. Other than the plays with Kerryon at Wildcat, I saw very little in the way of creativity on O. If anything, we were even more conservative than against Miss State.

The best we looked was on special teams, especially punting and the return game.

I think this is a pretty fair and balanced opinion.

2. We forced turnovers.

I think this is a pretty fair and balanced opinion.

Thanks. It's sort of difficult to express what I mean.

If we had managed the turnover margin and redzone scoring % from the SJSU game, I think we'd have beat Miss State. On the other hand, if we took the turnover margin and redzone scoring percentage from Miss State, I think we lose to SJSU.

Put differently, with those stats (TO & RZ%), I'd have expected us to beat both teams, but to kill SJSU absolutely.

Gus Malzahn press conference.....

Coach, what do you think about your team's execution?

Gus: I think it's a good idea.

Overall coach, how do you think you played today?

Gus: well, we didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking.

Has anyone noticed Gus's demeanor this season? In pressers last season he seemed more interactive with the press, was more detailed and talkative, and just seemed more friendly. From the start of this season, he just seems to be annoyed and just goes through the pressers with a robotic dialogue.

This is from out there, but could it be that Gus is being directed to do things with this team by the PTB, and might be being undermined by those that fund this program? Seems that Chizik had the same demeanor as well.

He just looks miserable to me. Just a thought.

The great John McKay. One of the best quotemasters in sports history.

Has anyone noticed Gus's demeanor this season? In pressers last season he seemed more interactive with the press, was more detailed and talkative, and just seemed more friendly. From the start of this season, he just seems to be annoyed and just goes through the pressers with a robotic dialogue.

This is from out there, but could it be that Gus is being directed to do things with this team by the PTB, and might be being undermined by those that fund this program? Seems that Chizik had the same demeanor as well.

He just looks miserable to me. Just a thought.

LOL Did you post this in more than one thread? Or did my response get deleted?

The great John McKay. One of the best quotemasters in sports history.

Yes he was. Had a million of em.

It's obvious Gus doesn't give a damn about the pressers lol it's pretty funny actually

Agree. At this point i find them hilarious and wonder why anyone would read much into what he's saying to be honest. Just going through the emotions during them.

It's obvious Gus doesn't give a damn about the pressers lol it's pretty funny actually

Agree. At this point i find them hilarious and wonder why anyone would read much into what he's saying to be honest. Just going through the emotions during them.

But did you guys call him and talk to him?

There's no question.

There's no question.

But was it a collect call?

There's no question.

Gus is one of the better people to call collect in all of college football, no doubt.

There's no question.

Gus is one of the better people to call collect in all of college football, no doubt.

Because he'd for sure accept the charges!

Archived