What Happened After The First Quarter...

Charhair

All I could think about after that first quarter was why aren't we throwing it to Ricardo?

I'm sure Kentucky made adjustments but even after Ricardo's amazing first quarter it seemed like he disappeared until the 4th.

Hardly any targets, none of his usual jet sweeps or screen passes. (Aka the plays where he still gets the ball in his hand even if the defense has adjusted their coverage due to him).

The plays that don't always seem to work but we run anyway. Yet when Ricardo is on fire it's like we geared our offense away from him...

It was the ol' Ric Flair thumb to the eye socket dirty trick move . . . I could have swore I heard the UK player yell WOOOOOOOOOO! Right after he did it

Ricardo got poked in the eye, and Gus got conservative.

his conservative play calls usually consist of runs up the middle and then jet sweeps and screens to Ricardo.

After a first quarter like that I would expect Ricardo to have had the amount of touches Barber had

his conservative play calls usually consist of runs up the middle and then jet sweeps and screens to Ricardo.

After a first quarter like that I would expect Ricardo to have had the amount of touches Barber had

Again, he got poked in the eye, or had it raked, or whatever. He couldn't see straight, so they didn't play him until he recovered.

Again, he got poked in the eye, or had it raked, or whatever. He couldn't see straight, so they didn't play him until he recovered.

is it confirmed that it was really that bad? He didn't seem like he was in pain or anything. Announcers even commented on how he was dancing around on the sidelines during the 2nd quarter or something

He dropped two that he got his hands on and then decided to block a DB on another target. We kept throwing to him.

On a separate note, I wish our OL could open holes like Stanford's. My gosh....

It's in Malzahn's DNA to run the football. I wonder if there is regret on his part that the offensive staff may have believed they could have been a little different in '15 because of the "big arm". Seems to me that he is (now) bent on winning with that offensive line and Peyton Barber. He leaned on them heavily on that last scoring drive and they responded. Oh, and he mixed in Ricardo every once in a while.

is it confirmed that it was really that bad? He didn't seem like he was in pain or anything. Announcers even commented on how he was dancing around on the sidelines during the 2nd quarter or something

Last time I got gouged in the eye, it affected my vision, not my jumping ability.

Your question has been answered like 6 times. What do you want us to say -- that Gus was stupid for not riding Ricardo? As doug pointed out, we did try to involve him still, and he messed up. I think it might have had something to do with the fact that he couldn't see straight.

:dunno:

It's in Malzahn's DNA to run the football. I wonder if there is regret on his part that the offensive staff may have believed they could have been a little different in '15 because of the "big arm". Seems to me that he is (now) bent on winning with that offensive line and Peyton Barber. He leaned on them heavily on that last scoring drive and they responded. Oh, and he mixed in Ricardo every once in a while.

i guess it seemed to me that Gus went into the PB only mode way too quick. Sean was killing it and so was Ricardo, why not let him air it out until Kentucky starts to stop it? Instead we just started running the ball and let them go into half time so they could adjust and be ready for Ricardo/Sean when we needed them again

i guess it seemed to me that Gus went into the PB only mode way too quick. Sean was killing it and so was Ricardo, why not let him air it out until Kentucky starts to stop it? Instead we just started running the ball and let them go into half time so they could adjust and be ready for Ricardo/Sean when we needed them again

The great Fred Yancey likes to say "there is no place more dangerous than a two touchdown lead". Gus is living proof (and has been for a long time). It's my opinion that the "Mad Scientist of Offense" moniker is more hype than truth. However, I did see us run at fastest pace without going back to the same play on the repeat cycle...multiple times. I can somewhat understand it with having what was an ironclad lock backup being the starting QB. I too wish he would damn the torpedoes and open it up, but circumstances have changed (and changed Gus).

Gus has been known to try and protect a lead....Chiz got blamed for that back in his day but I expect it was Gus who slowed the games down once he had a 2 TD lead.

Last night he was obviously trying to run the clock....notice that he did not send the plays in until the last 10-12 seconds to run the clock and prevent White from making any changes in the play call. And maybe also he was trying to "protect the defense" as those detractors claim those many years ago. Gus is a conservative coach.....just he hides that under his flashy looking offense, but mostly if you dust off all the fluff, it's basic football.

At least for a change the O resembled the O of old..so I am glad he did get aggressive finally. Maybe as weeks progress he will get more and more aggressive as Sean finally settles in as QB1. The team and coaches efforts made during the off week are encouraging. They moved forward and did not stand still. If they can be as productive during this partial long week, we may have a chance at Arkansas.

We've got a real gamer at QB. HC and OC NOT SO MUCH!!

Hmmmm truth speaks.

Sean laid it out. , man I appreciate the effort.

If a couple of receivers make catches vs drops and Sean makes a couple better throws it could have been much different. However I will take it after his third start.

Archived