Pearl Jam is Tonight

aujeff11

Starts at 7. Doors open at 6. Free to the public. Dunk contests, three point contests, bunch of activities for the kids.

The first 1,000 students receive free pizza from Dominos while the first 500 fans receive a free jar of Pearl "Jam."

For the first hour from 7-8 p.m. on the main arena floor, Pearl Jam will feature a dunk contest, 3-point contest and games to "get to know" the team. For the second hour from 8-9 p.m., a FanFest will take place in the Auburn Arena practice courts with the team, inflatables, a photobooth, basketball drills and much more.

"We had so much fun with the students last year, we decided to let the students stay downstairs and the general public upstairs," said Pearl. "It will be your typical 3-point shooting contest, dunk contest. We will have some skits. We will have some fun, and it will be great for our fans. We will sign autographs and take pictures and interact with our fan base.

"People are going to come to Pearl Jam and actually leave with an actual jar of Pearl Jam. It will be a good time."

Students are directed to enter through the student entrance and will sit in the student bleacher seats. The general public can sit in the 100 level.

The Auburn cheerleaders, Tiger Paws, pep band and Aubie will also be in attendance.

http://www.auburntig.../102015aaa.html

First 500 fans receive a jar of "pearl jam."

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102015aaa.html

That's not right

Whats not right?

There's an alternative(crude) definition for "pearl jam"

What does it say on the jar that RIR posted? Lol

Maybe there should be a disclaimer for the ones with their mind in the gutter? Jk

That's not right

Whats not right?

Maybe there should be a disclaimer for the ones with their mind in the gutter? Jk

This is why many of us made the case last year for this event to not be called Pearl jam. Clearly it is a play on words relating to the band. The reason the band is called that should not be associated with AU athletics....but it's too late for that now now I am resigned to bad jokes about it.

That's only a rumor that the band was named after the crude meaning.

Another rumor related to PJ being named after Vedder's grandmother "Pearl" and a peyote/jam concoction. Which Vedder later debunked.

Then there's this:

Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young, in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length.[1]

That's not right

Whats not right?

This is why many of us made the case last year for this event to not be called Pearl jam. Clearly it is a play on words relating to the band. The reason the band is called that should not be associated with AU athletics....but it's too late for that now now I am resigned to bad jokes about it.

I see what you are saying. I guess the administration doesn't care about the crude meaning enough to not use it.

Hopefully RIR will have pictures or videos for us from the dunk contest and the three point contest... I'm thinking New Williams wins the dunk contest.

That's only a rumor that the band was named after the crude meaning.

Another rumor related to PJ being named after Vedder's grandmother "Pearl" and a peyote/jam concoction. Which Vedder later debunked.

Then there's this:

Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young, in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length.[1]

Lol. Thanks for the in depth response. The band was on quite a few drugs and I'd guess said a lot of things that meant something different at the time. They had to know what it meant (they had very high dollar producers etc). Either way, I enjoyed some of their music and still do. No biggie on the real meaning (we'll probably never know for sure as they would likely not admit to something like that now).

NIRVANA IS STILL BETTER

but I saw New Williams' between the legs dunk. That guy has some serious bunnies

Ha, so we had an assistant coach win the 3 point contest...and his last name wasn't Person. Not sure what to think about that. :)

On another non-important note, grew up right in the middle of the "grunge" movement and Nirvana was probably #3 for me behind AIC and Pearl Jam.

On another non-important note, grew up right in the middle of the "grunge" movement and Nirvana was probably #3 for me behind AIC and Pearl Jam.

^^^THIS!!!

^^^THIS!!!

Agreed kind of. Never cared for Nirvana really. Cobain was/is overrated. Indifferent to Alice in Chains.

I did, however, visit the bench outside his house in Seattle where he used to ponder(or do heroin).

^^^THIS!!!

Agreed kind of. Never cared for Nirvana really. Cobain was/is overrated. Indifferent to Alice in Chains.

I did, however, visit the bench outside his house in Seattle where he used to ponder(or do heroin).

I was in some strange, alternate pop country universe during the grunge scene. I suddenly popped out of it the first time I heard STP. I love me some STP. Too bad Scott Weiland is heroin. Also a huge Pearl Jam and AIC fan. I never really got into Nirvana. Too much...something. I don't know. Almost like they tried too hard not to "care". Oh well.

Sorry about the off topic...that seems to be my thing.

WDE AU basketball!

Weiland sucks. He's always late or doesn't show up to any of his shows. Used to like STP, but Weiland is trash.

I totally disagree!!! I saw STP the last time they came to Oak Mtn Amphitheater. Holy cow! That was an amazing show. Weiland must have been fresh off of rehab. Great songs and a great show!

NIRVANA IS STILL BETTER

but I saw New Williams' between the legs dunk. That guy has some serious bunnies

I'm super excited about what he should be able to do on defense. I'm also excited about TJ. I saw him play against Chattanooga st in person and watched him play one game in Columbia tn. He's pretty athletic but I really liked his demeanor. He was ALWAYS in control. Never was rattled in any situation

Weiland sucks. He's always late or doesn't show up to any of his shows. Used to like STP, but Weiland is trash.

I totally disagree!!! I saw STP the last time they came to Oak Mtn Amphitheater. Holy cow! That was an amazing show. Weiland must have been fresh off of rehab. Great songs and a great show!

What year was this?

I've heard nothing but complaints about him blowing off gigs and showing up wasted to shows. Mostly when he was with Velvet Revolver...so he could've turned around at since.

NIRVANA IS STILL BETTER

I'm super excited about what he should be able to do on defense. I'm also excited about TJ. I saw him play against Chattanooga st in person and watched him play one game in Columbia tn. He's pretty athletic but I really liked his demeanor. He was ALWAYS in control. Never was rattled in any situation

All I got to see was the dunk highlights, but this is encouraging to hear. That's what we need in the backcourt! Good length too.

----- My rankings ----

#1 Nirvana (Not counting Smells Like Teen Spirit -- they have sooo many better songs)

#2 Soundgarden

#3 Alice in Chains (I switch 2 and 3 around often)

#4 Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam was the sissiest version of the original grunge bands IMO but that's probably the Mother Love Bone influence :hellyeah: . Why did "Ten" sound like it was recorded in the 80s? That damn snare drum...

Archived