Maybe Chizik hasn't lost it...

TitanTiger

North Carolina Defensive Stats

Rushing Defense: 240.5 yards per game (120th in the country)

Passing Defense: 257.4 ypg (104th)

Total Defense: 497.8 ypg (120th)

Scoring Defense: 39 points per game (119th)

2015 (through 7 games)

Rushing Defense: 212.6 ypg (111th) giving up 27.9 ypg less

Passing Defense: 137.3 ypg (2nd!!) giving up 120.1 ypg less

Total Defense: 349.9 ypg (36th) giving up 147.9 ypg less

Scoring Defense: 16.7 ppg (16th) giving up 22.3 ppg less, less than half of what they gave up last year

That's an amazing turnaround in one year. I'm happy for him. He seems like a good man and perhaps he's got a long career left if he is happy being a coordinator. Still don't think he would be the right guy to be a head coach though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North Carolina Defensive Stats

Rushing Defense: 240.5 yards per game (120th in the country)

Passing Defense: 257.4 ypg (104th)

Total Defense: 497.8 ypg (120th)

Scoring Defense: 39 points per game (119th)

2015 (through 7 games)

Rushing Defense: 212.6 ypg (111th) giving up 27.9 ypg less

Passing Defense: 137.3 ypg (2nd!!) giving up 120.1 ypg less

Total Defense: 349.9 ypg (36th) giving up 147.9 ypg less

Scoring Defense: 16.7 ppg (16th) giving up 22.3 ppg less, less than half of what they gave up last year

That's an amazing turnaround in one year. I'm happy for him. He seems like a good man and perhaps he's got a long career left if he is happy being a coordinator. Still don't think he would be the right guy to be a head coach though.

I'm hoping Muschamp will pan out like Chizik while he's here at AU.

I am still a fan of Chizik and think he could be a good head coach some day.People do learn from mistakes and improve.Hope the best for him.

I'm a Chiz fan....have kids that are Tar Heels so have been following the team this year and their D had done well...especially for his first year there. He has some hitters.....not always in the right place I guess but pretty sure tackler and they put a lick on the ball carriers. Happy to see him doing well.

Just goes to show how hard it is to balance being the head coach and managing the side of the ball where your expertise lies. Some people are just cut out to be coordinators and not head coaches. Chizik and Muschamp both appear to be cut from that cloth.

No one has ever questioned Chizik's credentials as a DC so this thread hasnt really proven anything

I didn't post it to prove anything, but yes, people did wonder if Chizik had lost his touch defensively. Many questioned whether he was stuck in the past with his love for the Tampa-2 concept. Others looked at the fact that it was Auburn's defense that fell off under him (as opposed to Muschamp who similarly struggled as a HC but fielded strong defenses while struggling on the other side of the ball).

I just thought it was of interest that Chizik had turned UNC's woeful defense around so quickly. It seems to answer the question of whether CGC could recapture the DC magic that made him such a hot name at one point.

This has nothing to do with Auburn football, but I wouldn't mind him coaching here if WM didn't come. But that will never happen.

"Will Muschamp is on the list of candidates to be the next head coach at South Carolina, according to a report by GridironNow.com.

While he might not be in the top tier of candidates, don't rule out Muschamp landing in Columbia."

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Muschamp-in-play-at-South-Carolina-40591939

No one has ever questioned Chizik's credentials as a DC so this thread hasnt really proven anything

Then please consider not reading and posting in this thread.

I for one, enjoyed reading the news,

Just looking over their schedule, they haven't played many worldbeaters to this point. It'd be interesting to revisit this in a month and see how they end up.

Just looking over their schedule, they haven't played many worldbeaters to this point. It'd be interesting to revisit this in a month and see how they end up.

Pretty radical changes, regardless of who they've played this year. I watched UNC play early this year, and the defense looked very good. I don't think there is any question that he has made vast improvements.

He never lost anything as a DC IMO. He never "had it" as HC to begin with.

Maybe not, but he was the perfect guy for 2010 and the whole Cam situation. He oozed integrity and he knew how to say nothing. As bad as things got, I will always appreciate what he helped achieve that year for all of us. War damn Chiz!

He never lost anything as a DC IMO. He never "had it" as HC to begin with.

Maybe not, but he was the perfect guy for 2010 and the whole Cam situation. He oozed integrity and he knew how to say nothing. As bad as things got, I will always appreciate what he helped achieve that year for all of us. War damn Chiz!

He really was, and I agree. I think very highly of Chizik.

Pretty radical changes, regardless of who they've played this year. I watched UNC play early this year, and the defense looked very good. I don't think there is any question that he has made vast improvements.

Pretty much what we expected this year.... UNC must be loaded with talent

Tell us how you really feel.

Basically like Auburn...mostly the same guys this year left from last year.....guys who couldn't stop anything,..a defense that gave up 70 points once and 50 points twice.

Same guys as last year..... plus whatever freshmen they have been able to work into the line-up but looks like a totally different team.

We aren't loaded with talent. We have talent at some positions. We are woefully understaffed at others.

One of the biggest problems is defensive line. Starting with the class that would be RS Seniors this year if they were still around:

Angelo Blackson (3-star) - NFL

Gabe Wright (4-star) - NFL

Keymiya Harrell (3-star) - on roster, buried on depth chart

JaBrien Niles (3-star) - tranferred

Tyler Nero (4-star) - out of football due to health reasons

Gimel President (3-star) - in playing rotation, not a big factor

Ben Bradley (4-star) - JUCO, graduated

Montravious Adams (5-star) - starter, impact player

Carl Lawson (5-star) - starter, hampered by injuries

Elijah Daniel (4-star) - arrested, kicked off team before this season

Rashaad Kennion (3-star) - contributor

Devonte Lambert (4-star) - contributor

Justin Thornton (4-star) - non factor so far

Andrew Williams (4-star) - moved to OL, now back practicing with DL

Devaroe Lawrence (2-star) - plays rarely

Dontavious Russell (4-star) - in rotation

Jauntavious Johnson (3-star) - possible redshirt?

Maurice Swain (3-star) - non factor

Byron Cowart (5-star) - playing

Prince Tega Wanogho - (4-star) injured, redshirting

So only two players are left from the first two classes. Neither are stars nor were they expected to be.

2013 was a nice class on paper, but one graduated, one has been injured the last two seasons basically and another was arrested and kicked off the team. That leaves Adams. So your upperclassmen on the defensive line (on the field) consists of a 5-star and two guys that were 3-stars coming out.

The last two classes have been good. These would be your freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores. But:

One has bounced between DL and OL.

One tore an ACL last year and has been getting better each week (Lambert)

Another is redshirting due to an injury in HS (Wanogho)

The end result is, you have a mix of guys that are either very young and talented, talented guys who have been injured, older guys that were never going to be superstars most likely and the rest that mean we couldn't miss on anyone to have a proper rotation of defensive linemen.

And don't even get me started on the LBs.

There's talent. The DBs are playing better each week. There just isn't enough talent yet.

We aren't loaded with talent. We have talent at some positions. We are woefully understaffed at others.

One of the biggest problems is defensive line. Starting with the class that would be RS Seniors this year if they were still around:

Angelo Blackson (3-star) - NFL

Gabe Wright (4-star) - NFL

Keymiya Harrell (3-star) - on roster, buried on depth chart

JaBrien Niles (3-star) - tranferred

Tyler Nero (4-star) - out of football due to health reasons

Gimel President (3-star) - in playing rotation, not a big factor

Ben Bradley (4-star) - JUCO, graduated

Montravious Adams (5-star) - starter, impact player

Carl Lawson (5-star) - starter, hampered by injuries

Elijah Daniel (4-star) - arrested, kicked off team before this season

Rashaad Kennion (3-star) - contributor

Devonte Lambert (4-star) - contributor

Justin Thornton (4-star) - non factor so far

Andrew Williams (4-star) - moved to OL, now back practicing with DL

Devaroe Lawrence (2-star) - plays rarely

Dontavious Russell (4-star) - in rotation

Jauntavious Johnson (3-star) - possible redshirt?

Maurice Swain (3-star) - non factor

Byron Cowart (5-star) - playing

Prince Tega Wanogho - (4-star) injured, redshirting

So only two players are left from the first two classes. Neither are stars nor were they expected to be.

2013 was a nice class on paper, but one graduated, one has been injured the last two seasons basically and another was arrested and kicked off the team. That leaves Adams. So your upperclassmen on the defensive line (on the field) consists of a 5-star and two guys that were 3-stars coming out.

The last two classes have been good. These would be your freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores. But:

One has bounced between DL and OL.

One tore an ACL last year and has been getting better each week (Lambert)

Another is redshirting due to an injury in HS (Wanogho)

The end result is, you have a mix of guys that are either very young and talented, talented guys who have been injured, older guys that were never going to be superstars most likely and the rest that mean we couldn't miss on anyone to have a proper rotation of defensive linemen.

And don't even get me started on the LBs.

There's talent. The DBs are playing better each week. There just isn't enough talent yet.

Stellar breakdown, Titan. Shows that even the talking heads were hanging their high praise on Carl (and possibly Cowart), if they even considered the roster, pre-season.

Archived