Pruett (Huntsville Times) Article on AU Future

rolltoomer

I think the biggest drop-off next year will be in the defensive backfield. Rogers and Rosegreen were just something else. They made up for a lot of mistakes of our other guys, especially the new guys like Pitt and Gilbert.

I think we have talent in our backfield on offense but it's unproven. The core of the defense is returning and most of the special teams will be unchanged. I welcome the change from Carnell returning punts and kickoffs. I'm more of a fan of the "Tim Carter/Jeris McIntyre" type return man that we used to have.

I hope we beat the living crap out of GT...we're still paying for what they did to us.

I think the biggest drop-off next year will be in the defensive backfield.  Rogers and Rosegreen were just something else.  They made up for a lot of mistakes of our other guys, especially the new guys like Pitt and Gilbert.

I think we have talent in our backfield on offense but it's unproven.  The core of the defense is returning and most of the special teams will be unchanged.  I welcome the change from Carnell returning punts and kickoffs.  I'm more of a fan of the "Tim Carter/Jeris McIntyre" type return man that we used to have.

I hope we beat the living crap out of GT...we're still paying for what they did to us.

136491[/snapback]

the core of our defense was Junior Rosegreen and Carlos Rogers...the dline end and linebackers are excellent...but without those guys int he secondary it is a totally different defense...they are what made us the best d in the country and they are why we would have had a good shot at beating USC...and Oklahoma would have gotten b-smacked by us....

the backfield, offensive and defensive, is going to be the biggest rebuild next year. we don't know who the qb will be (i'd be a slight lean to cox). we don't know who will be the primary back or if we'll still have multiple back sets (i'd be a heavy lean to a stewart/irons combo with smith off the bench). we don't know who can man the other corner (smart money says david irons). we don't know who will replace junior (this goes in the even money category with brock, bell, and gandy all having equal shots). we don't know if pitts and herring can hold their starting spots (i think both will, but only if they improve a ton).

if we can come out and beat tech then we have some very winnable games at home to follow. if we get to arkansas unbeaten, the season could become a great one in the next two weeks.

I've been worrying about Herring and Pitts for a long time. They make costly mistakes and don't seem to be coachable out of repeating them. Frightening prospect for them to be the core of our defensive backfield next year.

Carlos Rogers stuck out as a freshman. Maybe we can have some fresh talent on the way.

i don't know about uncoachable. will was an awful tackler last year. this year he was extremely solid in that area except for the second tennessee game. he hit like a linebacker this year. so next year, i expect chizik to drill into his head that he has to get in better position to make plays on the deep ball and things like that. as for montae, he showed that he is a very sure tackler. he's getting better at defensing the deep ball, and he's got speed to burn. he just plays with little confidence, and he looks like he's thinking out there which a corner really just has to react, not think.

carlos got a ton better even from last year to this year. i expect massive improvement from both of those guys next year. if they don't get better, they may not be starters. plenty of candidates to replace them. i remember kevin hobbs was running second team at FS before david got hurt, and i saw him playing safety against vatech. so that makes four very capable guys to push for one starting job and to nip at will's heels. montae will have to compete with all the freshmen we just brought in, zach gilbert, patrick lee, and all the guys we redshirted this year: campbell, davis, and ferguson. plenty of names to make sure the starters don't rest.

Archived