Is ISIS Contained?

Proud Tiger

You used the word 'contained' in your thread title; the new canard of the extreme righties. You meant Obama when you started this thread. To admit otherwise makes you a liar.

I'm really impressed you have ESP and know what I meant. My thread was a question not a statement. Why won't you answer the question I asked you in post #12 above. You might also consider quitting to sling insults and name calling. Your character is on display for all to see.

The very first sentence in the article you posted was: President Obama has said that ISIS is "contained."

Do you really think it requires ESP to surmise that you were hanging this issue on Obama?

That absolutely was not my intent. My intent was to show the map of ISIS spreading. I thought that was interesting. However, as I recall, it was the POTUS who said awhile back ISIS was contained. So think what ever you want but thanks for responding without insults.

Ok, I'll accept that response on its face, giving you the benefit of the doubt. But as AUUSN pointed out:

One small point. Those gains in Nigeria is from Boko Haram...not Daesh.

Daesh is contained within the context Obama said.

So it seems to me that rather than expand the argument to include areas of the world not controlled by Daesh, that it would be preferable to answer whether it is contained within the area that Obama stated. The argument about Boko Haram or whoever is a separate thing, and Obama never made any comments about the state of things with those groups.

OK fine. The map in the link was limited to ISIS and I didn't initiate mention of the others. So I will limit my question to you and others.....do you think ISIS is contained more than it was a year ago. I would also note....AUUSN could be civil as you are being with calling me a liar.

I'm not getting into that. He felt you were being disingenuous by denying this was finger pointing at Obama. And I pointed out why it was perfectly reasonable to connect those dots based on the very first line of the article you posted along with your thread title. But it's neither here or there at this point.------so it's OK to connect dots and call another poster a liar based on that? I guess I don't understand the rules anymore.

To your Daesh question, there was a link that ICHY posted that seemed to indicate that it is: http://news.yahoo.co...-114922946.html

I'm not versed enough to say for sure, but it doesn't seem to be expanded beyond what Obama has stated given the context of his remarks.--I'm not an expert either. I just posted the map which indicates otherwise.

Comments in red.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty accurate

Right.

He posts an article from "Conservative Review" in which the first two words are "President Obama", and then claims he's not talking about Obama. :-\/>

You have a lot in common with PT.

Truth sometimes hurts.

If ignoring Islamic terrorism is a commentary against Obama , then so be it. HE called them the JV team, after all .

Amen. I don't care who it is. Even if a GOPer in the WH ignored a terrorist organization would receive my criticism. Don't care who it is. This can't be a political party issue. We all have to unite to fight this extremism...

If ignoring Islamic terrorism is a commentary against Obama , then so be it. HE called them the JV team, after all .

Amen. I don't care who it is. Even if a GOPer in the WH ignored a terrorist organization would receive my criticism. Don't care who it is. This can't be a political party issue. We all have to unite to fight this extremism...

What exactly do you think we've been doing for the past 14 years?

"Mission accomplished" and "ISIS contained". 14 plus productive years.

"Mission accomplished" and "ISIS contained". 14 plus productive years.

Who said ISIS is contained? :drippingsarcasm7pa:

From POLITIFACT

"They are being contained geographically by traditional military but they are leapfrogging over it using terrorism," said Joshua Landis, director of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Oklahoma. He added that Obama used "your grandfather’s notion of containment."

Ben Rhodes said that when Obama said ISIS was contained, he "was responding very specifically to the geographic expansion of ISIL in Iraq and Syria."

Looking back at Obama’s interview where he made this comment, it is quite clear that it’s within a narrowly defined scope: ISIS’s territorial expansion in Iraq and Syria. He did not rule out the potential for a terrorist attack, and he also made it clear that the United States’ anti-ISIS efforts are a work in progress.

References or suggestions that Obama claimed ISIS no longer presents an active threat are incorrect.

Further, experts told us that Obama is right that ISIS hasn’t expanded in the region in recent months, though this doesn’t give a full picture of ISIS’s global reach.

Looks like we can't even get ISIS out of Mosul. According to Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, the recapture of Mosul is at least a year away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/02/09/recapturing-mosul-at-least-a-year-away/80056912/#

Just a side note, but doesn't everyone who post think they are right? Aren't you trolling if you post things that you believe are wrong? Thinking you're right makes you a narcissist?

From POLITIFACT

"They are being contained geographically by traditional military but they are leapfrogging over it using terrorism," said Joshua Landis, director of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Oklahoma. He added that Obama used "your grandfather’s notion of containment."

Ben Rhodes said that when Obama said ISIS was contained, he "was responding very specifically to the geographic expansion of ISIL in Iraq and Syria."

Looking back at Obama’s interview where he made this comment, it is quite clear that it’s within a narrowly defined scope: ISIS’s territorial expansion in Iraq and Syria. He did not rule out the potential for a terrorist attack, and he also made it clear that the United States’ anti-ISIS efforts are a work in progress.

References or suggestions that Obama claimed ISIS no longer presents an active threat are incorrect.

Further, experts told us that Obama is right that ISIS hasn’t expanded in the region in recent months, though this doesn’t give a full picture of ISIS’s global reach.

But you see, FACTS don't matter to the right. The majority of their platforms or arguments are based on false narratives. Fear mongering is their go to.

From POLITIFACT

But you see, FACTS don't matter to the right. The majority of their platforms or arguments are based on false narratives. Fear mongering is their go to.

If this forum is an indicator, and it is, FACTS don't matter to the left or right in most cases. Political ideology rules thought with almost no give or take. Free thinking is lost in favor of a favorite news source, i.e. FOX, Huffpo, The Atlantic, etc.

But you see, FACTS don't matter to the LEFT. The majority of their platforms or arguments are based on false narratives. Fear mongering is their go to.

But you see, FACTS don't matter to the LEFT. The majority of their platforms or arguments are based on false narratives. Fear mongering is their go to.

Your plagarism, although flattering, is evidence that you are incapable of stringing together your own reply.

Your plagarism, although flattering, is evidence that you are incapable of stringing together your own reply.

Actually, that's his idea of being clever. ;D

Or .. It doesn't warrant a serious reply .

The fear mongering is on full display in the OP. Just listen to the ominous music in the video. The video has to lie just to try to make a point.

I know we have been in the Middle East but what I am saying is that when Republicans bring up Radical Islamic Terrorism we are called Racists,Bigots,Islamophobes and every other name in the book liberals can think of. Both sides have to unite and see that this evil is an ideology by a radical form of Islam and that it doesn't go away unless we keep pursuing them and not care about hurting feelings or offending anybody. Most leftist won't even call it what it is. Both sides have to be able to come together on this issue and stop the namecalling and targeting. They don't care who you are or what you support... ISIS wants us all dead. They literally call America the "Great Satan".

I know we have been in the Middle East but what I am saying is that when Republicans bring up Radical Islamic Terrorism we are called Racists,Bigots,Islamophobes and every other name in the book liberals can think of. Both sides have to unite and see that this evil is an ideology by a radical form of Islam and that it doesn't go away unless we keep pursuing them and not care about hurting feelings or offending anybody. Most leftist won't even call it what it is. Both sides have to be able to come together on this issue and stop the namecalling and targeting. They don't care who you are or what you support... ISIS wants us all dead. They literally call America the "Great Satan".

Your premise is total BS. What a passive-aggressive, partisan, victimizing statement. :-\ Come back when you are ready to discuss the subject seriously.

Looks like we can't even get ISIS out of Mosul. According to Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, the recapture of Mosul is at least a year away.

http://www.usatoday....away/80056912/#

Define "we".

“I’m not as optimistic that we’ll be able to turn that in the near term,” Marine Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told the Senate Armed Services Committee. “Certainly not this year.”

Maybe consult the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency homey. :-\

Define "we".

“I’m not as optimistic that we’ll be able to turn that in the near term,” Marine Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told the Senate Armed Services Committee. “Certainly not this year.”

I didn't dispute the word "we" was used, I asked who "we" was.

So, define what he meant by the term "we".

Define "we".

Well homes, give me the good Lt. General's phone number and I will call and ask him. ;D

Define "we".

Well homes, give me the good Lt. General's phone number and I will call and ask him. ;D

Well, personally, I suspect he said it as a sign of solidarity with the Iraqi army since he's there to train or otherwise assist them.

The reason I asked was that PT used the same term - implying this was a US effort - which begs a lot of questions.

But thanks for your help. :-\

Iraqi government says it fully recaptured Ramadi from IS

Iraqi officials say the northern city of Mosul is the government's next priority.

Iraq announced plans to send thousands of additional troops to a base outside Mosul on Monday in anticipation of an operation to liberate the city.

Archived