Auburn FB games with horrible officiating

doc4aday

I think it was in 1991, we played Vandy in Nashville and there was a fumble and a huge pile up. While the officials were trying to unpile the players, Frank Sanders comes out of the pile with the football. He walks up and hands it to a zebra, who promptly gives possession to Vandy. Worst call ever.

Wow, that's a new one I've never heard of. BUT (speaking of Vandy), THIS is the worst call ever......

What Vandy game was it when they gave Vandy a TD on a pass that hit 5 yards out of the endzone and was never caughtby their receiver?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez doc not calling you out but the 94 play was a pass to I think Frank Sanders that was ruled short and the 67 Stabler run was a no call hold on Yearout. Shug even talked about it in his Sunday replay show. I've never heard that Stabler was out of bounds.

I was not totally clear on the 1994 Iron Bowl, but from what I remember, it looked like we had the 1st down, but the refs ruled other wise and Patrick Nix was pleading his case and the bamma QB put his arm around Nix to console him when it was obvious we did not make it. Hey if I am wrong, I do totally stand corrected. I would love to see a replay of that play, but will concede. I just do not like it when Auburn comes up short in games!

I could have sworn Stabler stepped on he OB line but the refs just did not call it due to all of the mud and so forth. I do stand corrected if I am wrong on this as well.

I think everyone knows what comes to my mind when I think of this topic, but I'm not going to pull it up because I can't stomach to watch it.

I was not totally clear on the 1994 Iron Bowl, but from what I remember, it looked like we had the 1st down, but the refs ruled other wise and Patrick Nix was pleading his case and the bamma QB put his arm around Nix to console him when it was obvious we did not make it. Hey if I am wrong, I do totally stand corrected. I would love to see a replay of that play, but will concede.

I posted it above. Will post again.....

And for the record...it was Thomas Bailey who caused the personal foul penalty with the "WWF ref bump."

I think everyone knows what comes to my mind when I think of this topic, but I'm not going to pull it up because I can't stomach to watch it.

Long list to choose from.

Signed,

hNIhhcDdsKGtvSB-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1449029268

Ugh, looking at that face...nah, Matt Moore was the official for the game I'm thinking of (CAP's "lost" fumble).

Matt Moore was the official for the game I'm thinking of (CAP's "lost" fumble).

Matt Moore was also the ref in the 2013 IB, who's crew saved us with the ONLY holding call on bammer after a 1st & Goal run by Yeldon. If they don't make that call, we lose.

Matt Moore's, Penn Wagers' and Steve Shaw's crews are the only three SEC crews I've ever respected.

As for Tom Ritter...his quote: "It’s managing the holding that we see play in play out, and trying to gauge the impact that the hold has on a play and whether or not it’s worthy of a foul."

In other words, he doesn't call holding. Play on.

Not into bashing officials, having reffed for so long (if you don't like the pool of officials out there feel free to try it yourself) but a couple dicey calls over the years cost AU in a very big way. IMHO.

-1986 Georgia game. One of only 2 AU losses that season. Our D was vintage Dye. A quick whistle on Brent Fullwood, who's forward momentum was not stopped IMO, negated probable winning AU TD.

- 1989 Sugar Bowl. Trailing FSU 13-7 with a minute to go, Dedrick Dodge mugged Freddie Weygand at the FSU 1 foot line. No call. Announcer Dan Dierdorf just about jumped through the microphone. Only time I've been PO'd when an Auburn man (Dye) showed restraint & class (his post game interview). Slack intercepted on 4th down next play. My asterisk when FSU beats their chests about their consecutive final top 5 poll streak.

Not into bashing officials, having reffed for so long (if you don't like the pool of officials out there feel free to try it yourself) but a couple dicey calls over the years cost AU in a very big way. IMHO.

-1986 Georgia game. One of only 2 AU losses that season. Our D was vintage Dye. A quick whistle on Brent Fullwood, who's forward momentum was not stopped IMO, negated probable winning AU TD.

- 1989 Sugar Bowl. Trailing FSU 13-7 with a minute to go, Dedrick Dodge mugged Freddie Weygand at the FSU 1 foot line. No call. Announcer Dan Dierdorf just about jumped through the microphone. Only time I've been PO'd when an Auburn man (Dye) showed restraint & class (his post game interview). Slack intercepted on 4th down next play. My asterisk when FSU beats their chests about their consecutive final top 5 poll streak.

I remember both of these incidents very well. In the Sugar Bowl game the DB his Freddie from behind so early that Freddie's head went forward and the ball actually hit the top of Freddie's helmet. Dion Sanders we so elated that he ran down the Auburn sideline and taunted the AU bench, still no call.

One of mine would be the 1994 Auburn vs. Georgia. In an even worse called games would be the Iron Bowl in 1994. Patrick Nix had obviously made the first down, and the refs let bammer have the ball being that it was a 4th down play. I will never forget how upset Nix was and rightfully so.

1994 Georgia is my all-time worst memory of an AU game because it ended a 20-game winning streak AND we had them by 14 points AT HOME in the 4th Q, but I don't recall any bad calls. That could be because I can't stomach watching it again.

1994 bammer was indeed a horrible call. Sanders CLEARLY made it to the 39-yard line. Refs marked him at the 39 1/2. Ref initially runs down the 39-yard line to mark it, then changes course.

I SO wish I had a copy of the blown-up photo (about a 3' x 3' shot) of a CRYSTAL CLEAR picture taken directly from the 39-yard line that I saw in Parisian in Parkway City Mall in 1994. Sanders CLEARLY reached the ball to the 39-yard line. The 1st Down marker was across the field, at the 39 1/2.

One of mine would be the 1994 Auburn vs. Georgia. In an even worse called games would be the Iron Bowl in 1994. Patrick Nix had obviously made the first down, and the refs let bammer have the ball being that it was a 4th down play. I will never forget how upset Nix was and rightfully so.

1994 Georgia is my all-time worst memory of an AU game because it ended a 20-game winning streak AND we had them by 14 points AT HOME in the 4th Q, but I don't recall any bad calls. That could be because I can't stomach watching it again.

1994 bammer was indeed a horrible call. Sanders CLEARLY made it to the 39-yard line. Refs marked him at the 39 1/2. Ref initially runs down the 39-yard line to mark it, then changes course.

I SO wish I had a copy of the blown-up photo (about a 3' x 3' shot) of a CRYSTAL CLEAR picture taken directly from the 39-yard line that I saw in Parisian in Parkway City Mall in 1994. Sanders CLEARLY reached the ball to the 39-yard line. The 1st Down marker was across the field, at the 39 1/2.

I thought I had this one right! I remember thinking that we got the first down and on our way to scoring. That was a horrible spot of the ball. I remember how heart broken Patrick Nix was. I think it was Jay Barker, the bama QB that put his arm around Patrick trying to console him. Barker was a class act though and a fine Christian man. I think he knew in his heart that we made the 1st down. Not too many bammers would do what Barker did.

I thought I had this one right! I remember thinking that we got the first down and on our way to scoring. That was a horrible spot of the ball. I remember how heart broken Patrick Nix was. I think it was Jay Barker, the bama QB that put his arm around Patrick trying to console him. Barker was a class act though and a fine Christian man. I think he knew in his heart that we made the 1st down. Not too many bammers would do what Barker did.

Sorry, Barker comes across as tool that rips AU every chance he gets.

I think it was in 1991, we played Vandy in Nashville and there was a fumble and a huge pile up. While the officials were trying to unpile the players, Frank Sanders comes out of the pile with the football. He walks up and hands it to a zebra, who promptly gives possession to Vandy. Worst call ever.

Wow, that's a new one I've never heard of. BUT (speaking of Vandy), THIS is the worst call ever......

What Vandy game was it when they gave Vandy a TD on a pass that hit 5 yards out of the endzone and was never caughtby their receiver?

I ABSOLUTELY agree! THIS is the worse call in AU football history.

Oh, and lets don't forget the Georgia game where we were down on the goal line with 19 seconds to go, snapped the ball, didn't score, and the officials just let them lay on our guys with clock running until it ran out. I cant remember the year.

It was 1992.

How did the ref 1 foot away miss it if everyone could see on that crappy VHS copy lolol

Don't knock the crappy VHS copy...it was my dad's crappy VCR with a pirated PPV signal.

BOTH refs looking at the play missed it. The one standing at the goal line waited until the WR dropped it, THEN raised his hands.

Auburn%20vs%20Vanderbilt%202001%20Phantom%20TD%2002%2002_zpslbdffdyq.gif

Oh, and lets don't forget the Georgia game where we were down on the goal line with 19 seconds to go, snapped the ball, didn't score, and the officials just let them lay on our guys with clock running until it ran out. I cant remember the year.

Not sure, but I think it was in 1991. I was screaming for the refs to stop the play like he should have done. We were so close to scoring and winning that game. If the game was played in 2015, the review booth would hopefully overturn the play and give us one more crack. We very well could have won the game by today's standards. This was not due to officiating, but was one of the worst things in all of Auburn football history. 1983 was the season that we beat a very good Michigan team on a New Year's Day major bowl game. I think the score was 9-7 and was a fierce defensive game for both teams.

We were the number 3 rated football team going into the bowl game and had played beyond light year's the toughest schedule in all of college football. With only an early season loss to Texas of which we had numerous opportunities to win that game, we beat one top 10 team after another. Prior to any bowl game, Nebraska was sitting pretty at the number 1 spot, and Miami (Florida), was sitting at the number 5 spot. Miami had lost to I think was Florida State by a score of 31-0. (if I am wrong, please correct) Miami managed to beat Nebraska in their bowl game of which set the stage for what I was sure of, the number 1 spot. UGA

I went to bed that night feeling super in that it was obvious that Auburn was the number 1 team in the country. The next day, I was shocked beyond anything that I had ever experienced when Miami was crowned as the number 1 team in the country.

IMHO, this had to be the worst of worst injustices in all of college football in the 20th century. When our powers that be decided not to claim obvious national championships that were due to Auburn. To this day, I am still baffled as to why the powers that be did not claim what should have been numerous NCs for Auburn. Maybe one day when they learn, the Auburn football nation will return!

How did the ref 1 foot away miss it if everyone could see on that crappy VHS copy lolol

Don't knock the crappy VHS copy...it was my dad's crappy VCR with a pirated PPV signal.

BOTH refs looking at the play missed it. The one standing at the goal line waited until the WR dropped it, THEN raised his hands.

Auburn%20vs%20Vanderbilt%202001%20Phantom%20TD%2002%2002_zpslbdffdyq.gif

Wasn't meaning to hammer the video or the source honestly just was making a point that this call shouldn't have been botched.

Wasn't meaning to hammer the video or the source honestly just was making a point that this call shouldn't have been botched.

I know. My comment was in jest.

Another alleged bad call (by first-hand witnesses) happened in the 1984 FSU game.

Story goes that FSU got away with holding early in the game. Dye complains.

Later in the game, Auburn is flagged for holding. Dye goes ape-shiz on the refs, making a point that the same holding was not flagged on FSU.

Ref hits Dye with Unsportsmanlike.

Dye wouldn't quit.

Ref hits Dye with Unsportsmanlike again.

Holding + Unsportsmanlike + Unsportsmanlike = a 40-yard total penalty.

The two plays in question aren't in this video. Simply posting it because it's a Top 5 all-timer......

I have the 1994 Iron Bowl on DVD. I paused the DVD and took some pics of my tv with my phone.

Frank20Sanders20199420Iron20Bowl201st20down_zpssojvt53b.jpg

Frank20Sander20199420Iron20Bowl201st20down_zpsczd5unrf.jpg

Frank20Sanders20199420Iron20Bowl_zps6pjskynq.jpg

Frank20Sanders20199420Iron20Bowl202_zpscieodrvs.jpg

Frank20Sanders20Patrick20Nix20199420Iron20Bowl_zpsefl51aqi.jpg

Frank20Sanders20Patrick20Nix20199420Iron20Bowl20first20down_zpsoumptftj.jpg

If I am not mistaken it was the 96 LSU game (the fire game) in which AU had a receiver (may have been Tyrone Goodson) that caught a ball in the end zone, but was called out of bounds. The ESPN camera crew showed on live t.v. his footprint in the grass showing clearly that he had a foot in bounds. That same year, in the 4 overtime UGA game I believe AU sacked Mike Bobo on the drive that tied the game. UGA had no timeouts left, but the officials inexplicably stopped the clock giving UGA time for one more play and they tied the game.

Archived