Men vs. Vanderbilt - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Auburn would make the NIT based off how last year ended and Bruce getting his players in. Maybe we can get enough guys back for the SEC tournament to at least make some noise.

Disheartening. Hopefully Pearl can figure out how to finish the season respectably.

True...these are Division 1 basketball players attending AU on scholarship to play SEC basketball. That has to be the worst offensive performance I've seen from a Div 1 school .....since the last time this team took the floor.

The shooting could not worse if they guys were trying to miss.

The closest parallel I can think of is that infamous TAMU game a few years ago.

I wonder if being shorthanded that practice is not getting what it should either ? I think it is taking a toll on attitude also, like knowing they can't win so they don't even put forth 100% effort. I noticed early in the game that a couple of folks acted like they did not want to stay back and throw the ball in. Also lack of hustle back down the court and going after loose balls. I just hope CBP can keep their attitudes up so they can come back strong next year.WDE

We're outmatched but pride needs to kick in....I don't know any of the players personally so I can't really say but I know when I went up against anybody you're not just doing whatever you want to do against me. It's going to be a fight

I wonder if being shorthanded that practice is not getting what it should either ? I think it is taking a toll on attitude also, like knowing they can't win so they don't even put forth 100% effort. I noticed early in the game that a couple of folks acted like they did not want to stay back and throw the ball in. Also lack of hustle back down the court and going after loose balls. I just hope CBP can keep their attitudes up so they can come back strong next year.WDE

What's scary is that four of these guys should be major factors next year....Lang, New, Brown and Spencer....all should be starters or key subs. I'm just wondering how in the off season they will be able to overcome their brick-laying habits.

Low point of the season. Hope BP can get the team better motivated, despite being so short handed , to play better the remainder of the season.

Looking forward to next year.

Maybe Gus needs to send Jeremy Johnson over to Bruce to finish the season. JJ was a great BB player in high school. Just kidding of course. I feel bad for the guys on the team who are giving it their all. Better days are ahead.

I can understand how discouraging it can be, especially since the losses are so lopsided. But this team hardly plays intelligent basketball.

I watched enough UT bball when BP was there to know our team under Pearl should not be counted on to play smarter basketball than our opponents. However, when he really gets his guys in here we'll be longer, quicker, and more athletic than our opponents and it will wreak havoc on our competition.

I can understand how discouraging it can be, especially since the losses are so lopsided. But this team hardly plays intelligent basketball.

Yeah, it's time to morph into a Princeton, pick and roll, thinking man's O.

Yeah, it's time to morph into a Princeton, pick and roll, thinking man's O.

Almost too funny for words.....

I watched enough UT bball when BP was there to know our team under Pearl should not be counted on to play smarter basketball than our opponents. However, when he really gets his guys in here we'll be longer, quicker, and more athletic than our opponents and it will wreak havoc on our competition.

Smarter basketball is playing the style that fits you best. Pearl designs his offense around long athletic players who press and force you to make mistakes. When you play this style you will also make mistakes that has nothing to do with playing intelligently. Pearl is trying to lay down a basis of how he wants his teams to play now and into the future. It was working before the injuries hit and then the Canty issue, He could change his whole style in the middle of the season to make the games closer but we would still lose those games and we would not have the base for how he will want to play next year.

A team like Princeton that will probably never have the long athletic type players runs a motion offense with lots of pick and rolls and back screens as they couldn't compete if they were playing the pressing frenetic style Pearl wants to play. A team like Princeton may be book smarter but have no higher basketball IQ then the players who play the pressing frenetic type basketball style.

Smarter basketball is playing the style that fits you best. Pearl designs his offense around long athletic players who press and force you to make mistakes. When you play this style you will also make mistakes that has nothing to do with playing intelligently. Pearl is trying to lay down a basis of how he wants his teams to play now and into the future. It was working before the injuries hit and then the Canty issue, He could change his whole style in the middle of the season to make the games closer but we would still lose those games and we would not have the base for how he will want to play next year.

A team like Princeton that will probably never have the long athletic type players runs a motion offense with lots of pick and rolls and back screens as they couldn't compete if they were playing the pressing frenetic style Pearl wants to play. A team like Princeton may be book smarter but have no higher basketball IQ then the players who play the pressing frenetic type basketball style.

The Princeton style is one of patience and team play. I love that style of basketball and have wondered why we haven't gone to that style. We have not been able to recruit the run and gun, long athletic types for decades. Hopefully CBP is changing that, but there are tons of other programs who run the dribble drive, ESPN highlight O, that are way ahead of us in prestige who continue to get the first looks from the high school studs.

I am not disagreeing with you here, but I interpreted smart basketball as not taking bad shots (Maybe half, if not more, of Canty's shots were bad shots but he hit them -- it doesn't change that they were bad shots), or being smart with the basketball and valuing each possession. This concept, to me, was not followed by the mere idea of allowing Bowers to be a bull in a China shop going coast to coast while handling the ball. Many times the pass ended up to a spectator in the 3rd row. Cim is not particularly one you'd say has high bball IQ. Or maybe he does but just cannot execute the ideas. That's how I perceived the intelligent bball comment. But Pearl encourages players to take confident shots within a frenetic style of play and this, as you noted, leads to some less than ideal possessions. And you're right its necessary for him to run his style even if we don't have the horses right now so he can develop that culture within the program. Especially when the results were going to be big losses anyways.

The Princeton style is one of patience and team play. I love that style of basketball and have wondered why we haven't gone to that style. We have not been able to recruit the run and gun, long athletic types for decades. Hopefully CBP is changing that, but there are tons of other programs who run the dribble drive, ESPN highlight O, that are way ahead of us in prestige who continue to get the first looks from the high school studs.

You are correct The Princeton style is beautiful and there are schools who are better then us who play it and do well with it. I also love watching it, my point was it is not an IQ thing it is a style thing. We hired a coach who teaches a more frenetic style of basketball who is going to be here for the long run hopefully. So he is teaching his style. Tiger above understood what I was saying he also mentioned that even in the frenetic style that Pearl plays you have to play within the system and he gave examples of Bowers being out of control at times and Canty jacking up shots that he shouldn't. He was correct. That is why Bruce put both in the Dog House Bowers responded positively and Canty didn't.

You are correct The Princeton style is beautiful and there are schools who are better then us who play it and do well with it. I also love watching it, my point was it is not an IQ thing it is a style thing. We hired a coach who teaches a more frenetic style of basketball who is going to be here for the long run hopefully. So he is teaching his style. Tiger above understood what I was saying he also mentioned that even in the frenetic style that Pearl plays you have to play within the system and he gave examples of Bowers being out of control at times and Canty jacking up shots that he shouldn't. He was correct. That is why Bruce put both in the Dog House Bowers responded positively and Canty didn't.

I'm not so sure about this....JMO but most college coaches spend a good part of their time trying to break their players of the bad habits and undisciplined style of play they bring to campus.

I was around during "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". We don't need to look at the Princeton offense, just dust off some old Joel Eaves files and tapes.....and there you will find the famous Auburn Shuffle...that was literally taught all over the world.

Problem is, today guys are afraid to pass the ball around more than once because with Canty's of the world on our team, it you ever give it up, you will never get it back.

Archived