Pettway Getting Shot at Tailback

Weegle777

About time Gus wised up.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/kamryn_pettway_getting_reps_at.html

With Peyton Barber off to the NFL Draft, Auburn has a big need for a power running back in short-yardage situations. Kamryn Pettway believes he could be that guy.

The rising sophomore split time with Chandler Cox at H-back for Auburn last season, but said Saturday he's spending about 25 percent of his time in spring practices at running back.

"I'm very excited about that," said Pettway. "It feels like old times. It's going pretty good, it's not hard. My freshman year I started off at running back, so I know most of the plays still at running back. So it just feels natural."

Prior to signing with Auburn Pettway starred at running back for Prattville High School, where he rushed for 1,402 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior. He recorded just one carry last season, a 12-yard rush in the quadruple-overtime loss at Arkansas.

Auburn offensive lineman Alex Kozan has caught a couple glimpses of Pettway running the ball in practice and is impressed.

"The big thing about Pettway is, he'll blow somebody up," Kozan said. "To have that kind of physicality at running back is huge, especially since Peyton declared. We wish him the best, but we lost a little bit there because Peyton was our short-yardage back, getting those tough yards. I have faith in Pettway that he can get that done."

Earlier this week Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said he's looking to Pettway and Cox to provide some depth at the running back position, where Jovon Robinson is the presumed favorite to win the job.

"Coach Malzahn talked to me a lot about it during the offseason," Pettway said. "(He said) 'Just be prepared and be ready.' I miss it a lot. I'm looking forward to it and I'm just going still continue to play my role on the team and do what I can to help my teammates... With Peyton leaving I think that opened up a big door for me."

Barber led Auburn's rushing attack in 2015, tallying 1,016 yards and 11 touchdowns on 237 carries.

I saw another article where Pettway says as much. He said something to the effect that Jovon and Roc looked like they were going to carry the load, and he specifically said Jovon looked great. Maybe it was just my interpretation, but it seemed like he was putting himself at third on the pecking order at best (without considering Kerryon).

I will get my hopes up. I believe this guy could be great if given the chance. Jovon is obviously going to get the bulk and he should, but hopefully KP will get a good share.

Hopefully he can be a good short yardage back,but he is already the best blocking H-back.

Lord, couldn't we pick a better thread title. I thought he got shot- literally

:ucrazy:/> j/k ox

when dat thur sniper shot swain at the linebacker spot, it was like pew pew, pew pew.

This could make for great HUNH packages with Pettway at H-Back and either Roc or KJ at Tailback. In short yardage shift Roc/KJ to Slotback and Pettway to Tailback. Give us a jet sweep threat, an split receiver threat, and an inside running threat. You could also mix in Jet Sweep with an Outside Zone Read as well as a Tailback Inside Zone Read.

Alternatively, do something similar with a two H-Back package (Pettway and another TE/HB) and then shift the Tailback to the slot and Pettway to tailback. This would work well with a receiving TE/HB that could shift to standing on the line flexed out, with Pettway and Roc/KJ in the backfield, or the TE in the backfield as a H-Back, Pettway at TB, and the RB in the slot.

I'm not holding out hope that he will get more than 10 carries this season. Jmo

If those 10 carries equate to 8+ touchdowns and a fourth down conversion or two, then I don't think anyone will mind the quantity.

If those 10 carries equate to 8+ touchdowns and a fourth down conversion or two, then I don't think anyone will mind the quantity.

I would encourage all to look back to how Gus used Peyton Hillis at Arkansas, particularly since he and Horton have already compared Kerryon Johnson to Darren McFadden and he's taken several direct snaps. I'm not suggesting that Pettway, Johnson and Robinson will meaningfully resemble Hillis, McFadden and Jones- good gravy, I wish- but it's not crazy to suggest that Malzahn will put the ball in a fullback's hands.

Sign me up!

I wish Gus would install some sort of goal line heavy packages. Maybe I-form with pettway at tb and cox at fb running behind our talented new tight end.

I'm guessing this is more for late game substitutions and if Jovon goes down.

He has a good 12 pounds on Jovon. It's more likely for goal line situations where we need a battering ram and don't want to risk our starter. He might also spell Jovon if Roc can't handle between the tackles.

I'm guessing this is more for late game substitutions and if Jovon goes down.

I agree. Nothing wrong with having them prepared to play at RB for insurance purposes.

Pettway looks to be in great shape this year. I think we should get our FB's the ball some, esp if they can catch the ball. I know Cox can catch it. I imagine Pettway can too.

I also hope our FB's could all play the TE position so we would not have to substitute. We can play faster when we do not sub.

Pettway looks to be in great shape this year. I think we should get our FB's the ball some, esp if they can catch the ball. I know Cox can catch it. I imagine Pettway can too.

I also hope our FB's could all play the TE position so we would not have to substitute. We can play faster when we do not sub.

didnt pettway have an impressive 3rd down catch at one point last season? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else..

None the less, good to give him carries in practice. If he's gonna be lined up in the backfield, whether at hb or fb, he might as well be able to carry the ball. Gives us more play calling options and a big power back whenever necessary/incase of injury.

Archived