2016 Spring Practice - Day 11 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus Malzahn said Auburn had a half-practice, half-scrimmage in the indoor facility Saturday
Auburn quarterback John Franklin III was live in Saturday's practice. Jeremy Johnson and Sean White wore non-contact orange jerseys
John Franklin III was live in practice to see how he protected the football. 'You can see he's feeling more comfortable,' said Gus Malzahn
Gus Malzahn said Saturday's Auburn practice 'really focused on developing the younger guys… Overall, our energy was very good.'
Gus Malzahn said receivers Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton have caught his eye. Overall, 'I feel like they've all gotten better.'

@AUGoldMine

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: First team 20 plays, second and third teams had more
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Chandler Cox and Kamryn Pettway continue to get work at RB, want more depth at position next year
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Probably only full scrimmage left is A-Day
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: JFIII protected football quite a bit better than last week
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: JFIII picking up pre-snap part of offense, "very impressed" with way he's done that
"We're just going to make sure we get a really good evaluation of John...and see what he can do," Malzahn on JFIII
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Tyler Queen went live, had a couple of series, did a solid job
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Tyler Queen cleared to go live two weeks, has had no issues since
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Defense allowed to do whatever they wanted to do in scrimmage
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: A-Day set up isn't decided, going to do that later in the week probably Thursday
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Austin Golson is "settling in" at left tackle
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: OT Darius James little dinged up last week, back at practice Saturday
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: LBs Tre Wiliams and Deshaun Davis little ahead of other guys at position
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: WR Ryan Davis taking next step, "he's quick as a cat"
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Far to say Marlon Davidson has progressed quickly, has the physicality

@wareagleextra

Auburn DB Carlton Davis: Allowing 14 points or less is the defense's goal for the fall
"...once we go on a 5-0 run people will start to recognize what’s working for AU? It’s the defense"
"Hopefully I get to put on a show for you guys this fall," Auburn DB Carlton Davis on his improvements this spring
“Just putting me out there early made me a man I would say,"

@wareagleextra

Sources at scrimmage: John Franklin III "can fly," barely missed deep ball on scramble and looks part of starter; needs more consistency.

@bmarcello

Good to hear. :)

WDE, do you have any info on the rumblings that Davidson passed Cowart on the depth chart?

Rumblings or SECr? (There's a difference)

I know Stovall fairly well. He is blessed to have the opportunity to play collegiate sports after his short professional baseball career. He is a good guy.

Phillips and Stovall seem like good guys...enthusiastic about playing at AU....for the enjoyment of it...and not as a "business decision". Good for them.

Thanks for posting the interviews.

I could care less why they chose to come to school here. Half of the student population chose Auburn because of proximity or in state financial reasons which is a business decision, what they do while they are here is what matters to me. I can't see how it's possible to have a better attitude than what Horton just displayed in his video. If only half the team thinks the way he does we'd be top ten every year

WDE, do you have any info on the rumblings that Davidson passed Cowart on the depth chart?

The KK dude posted it on the rant. Some people think he is legit.

If we're talking about Kolumbo then it might actually be true. He's usually close to spot on.

If we're talking about Kolumbo then it might actually be true. He's usually close to spot on.

yep

I could care less why they chose to come to school here. Half of the student population chose Auburn because of proximity or in state financial reasons which is a business decision, what they do while they are here is what matters to me. I can't see how it's possible to have a better attitude than what Horton just displayed in his video. If only half the team thinks the way he does we'd be top ten every year

Those half you mention are not getting paid to attend AU. Somehow that makes a difference to me...maybe not you....but that's OK.

Those half you mention are not getting paid to attend AU. Somehow that makes a difference to me...maybe not you....but that's OK.

The student population that chose (was admitted into) AU by their academic qualifications are far different from many on the football team.

The student population that chose (was admitted into) AU by their academic qualifications are far different from many on the football team.

Different how? Pell grants? Academic scholarships? Alumni scholarships? Making a decision to choose the school that offered the most money? Who charged the least? And gtho that athletes aren't just as smart as anybody else on campus, if not smarter. Only kids who don't choose school on business decisions are kids who don't have to pay their bills, and not having to pay your bills doesn't make you better at all. But anyway like I said I could care less about why they are here, fact of the matter everyone majority go to college to one day have a future, or a profession. It's what you do while at school that counts, what you did before school or what pushed you to go doesn't matter at all

I thought getting an academic scholarship spent the same as an academic...actually getting academic is a little easier because people can just find some of those to place you just for the heck of it

Auburn has an enrollment just over 27000. For even half of them get a scholarship would be over 13,500 academic schollys (and that's just taking the half of the students with poor attitudes...you'd have to assume the other half would be on scholly too making all students on scholly) Not a chance that is even slightly the case. If we are talking solely about football players, most are on scholly so that point would be moot. Either way, they would all be more likely to succeed and make AU proud with the right attitude, so I'm not sure what the disagreement is over.

I suspect it's to say I was a student without an athletic scholarship do i love Auburn more, but who knows. I just think it's a shame people hate a kid that a superior physical talent. He's good enough that he has to think of his future and the possibility of playing football so let's hate him. Now that guy who sucks and will never play? Well he should be loved because he's out there and sucks....thing about it on the academic front it's cut throat and not tolerated. Who roots for those underdogs that try hard but can't make a 3.5? Not one single person

I suspect it's to say I was a student without an athletic scholarship do i love Auburn more, but who knows. I just think it's a shame people hate a kid that a superior physical talent. He's good enough that he has to think of his future and the possibility of playing football so let's hate him. Now that guy who sucks and will never play? Well he should be loved because he's out there and sucks....thing about it on the academic front it's cut throat and not tolerated. Who roots for those underdogs that try hard but can't make a 3.5? Not one single person

"Hate" is too strong a word for this discussion. It's not even close. SMH

"Hate" is too strong a word for this discussion. It's not even close. SMH

Absolutely....and anyone who has had kids ready for college know that they rarely make a "business decision" about where they go to school.....cost is a factor sure but way down the line. I'm willing to be that the vast majority of students at AU are there because that's where they want to go and not because someone talked them into it with promises of a 5* dorm, free tutors, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. .

Archived