Woody Working to Start

Charhair

Several teams with talented but deer in headlights true frosh QB's have done well in the SEC, especially with lights out D making and good RBs to cover. Woody certainly by all accounts is talented and confident. Some TF QBs have kept average teams looking decent in the SEC (cough, cough, Zeier, or recently think Aggie or Arky cough, cough). Interesting article below, but go beyond the article and research how these guys did it against the best. Very good O lines are a common theme.

http://www.sportsone...terback-seasons

I'd include hard-luck, injury plagued Josh Booty in the honorable mention list of frosh that were team assets in the SEC.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Josh_Booty

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can pick a throw out from anybody though. I'd like to see all the qb's have like an entire half to just play. I know we can't see that though. To be honest I haven't seen jj's amazing arm strength or sw amazing accuracy since they've been playing....I just wonder if our expectations are too high because of hype from off season then when it's game time we are all befuddled, or lying to ourselves about what we wanted a guy to be

Yoy about have that right.....especially the second part. See too many posters absolutely convinced that some kid right out of HS is going to be ready to lead a team in the SEC. And using DW from Clemson as evidence.....one guy in a thousand.....and because DW did it, then it supports the theory that Woody or Joey will be ready to run Gus's offense ?

Aside from your two suppositions I guess i would like to toss in clueless as a third reason.

i don't think anyone is already "absolutely convinced" that a true freshman is going to take over the offense. My OP was simply asking what IF Woody is the most talented QB come Clemson. Would it be in his (and AU's) best interest to throw him immediately to the wolves on week 1? Would the coaches do that when we've got at least decent experience and talent at position already

I don't think so, regardless of talent. At any other position, yeah, take a shot. But QB isn't just any position, and throwing a true freshman to the wolves, especially game 1, is asking for trouble.

I'd wager there is a .01% chance Woody would start against Clemson.

I've always maintained that if he were to start it would happen later in the season, and would most likely be as a result of an injury. Plus, it's the only plausible scenario in which he would have enough time to get up to full speed on the offense.

I'd love to see Woody play against Clemson... not because he's starting, but because Gus figured out the right formula for the players we have, runs the score way up, and gives him some valuable experience during mop-up duty.

I know, it's a dream, but if Gus really is selling out on the zone-read as the way to go, then Woody will have to get his feet wet this year.

I'd love to see Woody play against Clemson... not because he's starting, but because Gus figured out the right formula for the players we have, runs the score way up, and gives him some valuable experience during mop-up duty.

I know, it's a dream, but if Gus really is selling out on the zone-read as the way to go, then Woody will have to get his feet wet this year.

I surely hope he isn't selling out on the zone-read.

Based on the comments from Phillip Marshall, today, it's starting to sound like it. Apparently he's not planning to offer Webb, even if he wants to come here and they are actually hoping to offer Eli, if he can get his legal stuff cleared up. If that's true, it tells me that he REALLY wants to go zone-read and he knows Franklin's not ready.

Based on the comments from Phillip Marshall, today, it's starting to sound like it. Apparently he's not planning to offer Webb, even if he wants to come here and they are actually hoping to offer Eli, if he can get his legal stuff cleared up. If that's true, it tells me that he REALLY wants to go zone-read and he knows Franklin's not ready.

That sounds logical...hard to imagine that JF3. could run an SEC. offense after a half year of Juco...unless we are going to try and live off of QB keepers. So if Eli can stay out of jail we take him....GREAT.

Which, IF TRUE, is a total indictment of Gus' recruiting ability for the QB position and his overall HCing ability.

wde

No. Not a good idea to start a Freshman QB in this league......

Doesn't matter if they are a true freshman or 6th year senior START THE BEST QUARTERBACK

i don't think anyone is already "absolutely convinced" that a true freshman is going to take over the offense. My OP was simply asking what IF Woody is the most talented QB come Clemson. Would it be in his (and AU's) best interest to throw him immediately to the wolves on week 1? Would the coaches do that when we've got at least decent experience and talent at position already

If Gus has decent experience and talent already at the position along with guys that have been versed in the playbook with years in his system, then he won't throw a green, freshman QB to the wolves in game one vs the national championship runner up even "if" Woody is the most talented. In fact, how would Gus know if Woody is the most talented QB he has if he hasn't even seen him perform in live SEC football action?

You folks can keep up with hope all you want but come Clemson time barring an injury either JJ or SW will be starting. Gus will go with the experience. WDE

I am pretty confident that most AU fans want Gus to start the QB that gives us the best chance to win regardless of who it is or how much experience they have.

wde

Which, IF TRUE, is a total indictment of Gus' recruiting ability for the QB position and his overall HCing ability.

wde

True - I've quietly had concerns about Gus' recruiting process/plan since he got here. When Muschamp came on board, comments were made that Muschamp felt like the recruiting system at AU needed to be revamped. I don't know if he was able to make any impression on Gus or not since he was here such a short time? And as it turned out, some of our best recruiters are no longer on staff now (Muschamp/Thompson/Craig).

Not recruiting true WR's (until his 3rd year - thank you DCraig), sub-par LB recruitment for many years (which may be due to UAT grabbing dozens), recruiting pro-style QB's instead of dual threat QBs which are what he needs to operate "his" offensive scheme seems strange.

Hauling top 10 rated teams year after year are great, but if you are bringing in talent just for the sake of recruiting rankings when they don't fit your system, then what's the point if that top 10 talent doesn't result in top 10 ranked teams at the end of the year?

You folks can keep up with hope all you want but come Clemson time barring an injury either JJ or SW will be starting. Gus will go with the experience. WDE

I'm a Sean White guy myself, with JJ as a solid #2, and JF3 as a change of pace/specialty QB.

At Auburn, the QB is the most critical position. We don't have a stout oline, top shelf TE and seasoned WRs + a shut down Defense pulling the heavy load to help cover deficiencies like some teams. So, we have to go with a QB that has been battle tested in this conference, has experience and has had live action and built a relationship with his fellow teammates.

Thank you d Craig? Do you know how recruiting works?

You don't think Craig had any input on the WR class that signed in February? Surely he voiced his opinion on the need to get true WRs to Auburn?

Thank you d Craig? Do you know how recruiting works?

You don't think Craig had any input on the WR class that signed in February? Surely he voiced his opinion on the need to get true WRs to Auburn?

I'm sure he did but I know we didn't get the top guys on our board every time and I know Gus has to sign off and agree on every last wr recruit we get

I heard through the grape vine that JJ was on the sidlines at Troy for their spring game. Have a buddy who was on a recruiting visit said he saw him. Don't know if it it was really him or not but thought I'd throw this out there to see if somebody could confirm this or not.

I'm a Sean White guy myself, with JJ as a solid #2, and JF3 as a change of pace/specialty QB.

At Auburn, the QB is the most critical position. We don't have a stout oline, top shelf TE and seasoned WRs + a shut down Defense pulling the heavy load to help cover deficiencies like some teams. So, we have to go with a QB that has been battle tested in this conference, has experience and has had live action and built a relationship with his fellow teammates.

If we don't have a "stout o-line" this year, how long is it gonna take to have one? If we're not going to have one, then we shouldn't be starting three seniors. I actually feel the opposite--insert Jenkins and we could be looking at a pretty good season.

I heard through the grape vine that JJ was on the sidlines at Troy for their spring game. Have a buddy who was on a recruiting visit said he saw him. Don't know if it it was really him or not but thought I'd throw this out there to see if somebody could confirm this or not.

JJ cannot transfer to Troy without sitting out a year unless he can graduate from Auburn after just three years on campus. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all. Maybe he has friends on Troy's team or coaching staff and was visiting there.

wde

Do you never get tired of ragging on our coaches? I've seen one trick ponies before but you are working your way to the top of the list.

wde

Do you never get tired of ragging on our coaches? I've seen one trick ponies before but you are working your way to the top of the list.

LOL, I only rag on the coaches when they earn it. Besides, I get the added benefit of rustling your jimmies so it is all fun.

wde

I would say that is a good reading of what is going on. One year with Eli; 1 with Franklin and then Woody.

Yep Gus always goes with experience he would never hand the reigns to someone that shows up in August. :dunno:

Archived