Woody Working to Start

Charhair

DeShaun Watson played rather extensively as a freshman, he turned out alright. If he's the best QB, let him take his licks and learn from it.

He was also much more developed as a passer out of high school than Woody is. Woody can develop into a passer but right now he is very, very, raw.

I don't know exactly how raw he is, but just to play the devil's advocate, NM was super raw as a passer. The difference for Nick was his mind. That dude was chilly calm on the field, which I wouldn't expect from a true freshman.

Nick was a better passer in High School than many realize. He was not Deshaun developed as a passer but he was good.. On Woody I will say I am very encouraged that he has shown so much potential after playing QB for only 1 year.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeShaun Watson played rather extensively as a freshman, he turned out alright. If he's the best QB, let him take his licks and learn from it.

He was also much more developed as a passer out of high school than Woody is. Woody can develop into a passer but right now he is very, very, raw.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be so emphatic on Woody's ability (or lack thereof). It's obvious so far that none of the QB's have separated themselves, so it looks like the door may be open to anything happening, no matter how unlikely. I honestly don't care who wins the QB job (and I agree that Woody's chances are fairly slim) but who can tell what happens in the fall. If Woody at least holds his own and shows a ton of upside, then Gus may decide to roll the dice with him. If he displays this upside during the season, the powers that be may be ok with a 7-8 win season and sticking with Gus, figuring that the QB of the future is in place and improving.

I never said nor implied Woody lacks ability. Saying someone is raw does not mean they lack ability in any sense of either definition. He has only played QB 1 year. He will likely need more than that to develop into a SEC quality QB.

I think Sean's pocket awareness and ability to keep his eyes downfield while being pressured impresses me the most.

Yup. Posseses that skill at an elite level for a college QB.

I think Sean's pocket awareness and ability to keep his eyes downfield while being pressured impresses me the most.

I'll have to see him play a team that has a good pass rush before I can say that personally. Well the pocket awareness part because I didn't like some things he did against Georgia but at the same time he was hurt. The keeping his eyes downfield I can agree with though

Going against a good pass rush is not required to see that. He moves and adjusts very well around in trhe pockets provided for him.

Thank you d Craig? Do you know how recruiting works?

You don't think Craig had any input on the WR class that signed in February? Surely he voiced his opinion on the need to get true WRs to Auburn?

He did basicaly have most input on thr WRs we recruited & took.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be so emphatic on Woody's ability (or lack thereof). It's obvious so far that none of the QB's have separated themselves, so it looks like the door may be open to anything happening, no matter how unlikely. I honestly don't care who wins the QB job (and I agree that Woody's chances are fairly slim) but who can tell what happens in the fall. If Woody at least holds his own and shows a ton of upside, then Gus may decide to roll the dice with him. If he displays this upside during the season, the powers that be may be ok with a 7-8 win season and sticking with Gus, figuring that the QB of the future is in place and improving.

I never said nor implied Woody lacks ability. Saying someone is raw does not mean they lack ability in any sense of either definition. He has only played QB 1 year. He will likely need more than that to develop into a SEC quality QB.

I watched his junior highlights on hudl and he was QB. Are his hudl highlights mislabeled?

What position did he play his sophomore and junior year and does he have a chance to play that position for the 2016 season?

You folks can keep up with hope all you want but come Clemson time barring an injury either JJ or SW will be starting. Gus will go with the experience. WDE

I am pretty confident that most AU fans want Gus to start the QB that gives us the best chance to win regardless of who it is or how much experience they have.

wde

But Gus is going to "Gus" so i think he trusts Sean the most. Only part i differ on is JF3 or White that are actually in a race to start. Only role i can see JJ playing is the same limited situation QB role he played in last season. My major concern with Sean is our redzone offense; we need TDs. So i could see JJ or JF3 being factors in the redzone if Sean continues to struggle in that area.

You folks can keep up with hope all you want but come Clemson time barring an injury either JJ or SW will be starting. Gus will go with the experience. WDE

I am pretty confident that most AU fans want Gus to start the QB that gives us the best chance to win regardless of who it is or how much experience they have.

wde

But Gus is going to "Gus" so i think he trusts Sean the most. Only part i differ on is JF3 or White that are actually in a race to start. Only role i can see JJ playing is the same limited situation QB role he played in last season. My major concern with Sean is our redzone offense; we need TDs. So i could see JJ or JF3 being factors in the redzone if Sean continues to struggle in that area.

We've generally had a bad history in the red zone with Gus so I'm am in favor of ANYTHING that help us make that last 15 or 20 yards....and in particular that last 3 or 4 which seems to be the most difficult.

we need big plays to come back to this offense so we can worry less about red zone production. That's how you stop Gus. Take away the big play. He will outsmart himself at some point if he has to call 15 plays in a row. Then when he gets to the redzone he, apparently, becomes easier to stop if we are looking at the last 17 games or so.

I watched his junior highlights on hudl and he was QB. Are his hudl highlights mislabeled?

What position did he play his sophomore and junior year and does he have a chance to play that position for the 2016 season?

I was referring to his Jr year as his 1st QB year. Sr was year # 2. Still not a long time & likely needs more seasoning. He did not play football his Soph I believe. If he did it wasn't @ QB & he won't look at that position @ AU. He was recruited & signed strictly as a QB.

I'll have to see him play a team that has a good pass rush before I can say that personally. Well the pocket awareness part because I didn't like some things he did against Georgia but at the same time he was hurt. The keeping his eyes downfield I can agree with though

Going against a good pass rush is not required to see that. He moves and adjusts very well around in trhe pockets provided for him.

Just think about what you said here. And I'm just stating my opinion for what I have to see. I'm not interested in what you can do against Kentucky when you have all day to throw. Show me that footwork against lsu when you have big boys coming at you. And like I said against Georgia he didn't look good in the pocket at all

You don't think Craig had any input on the WR class that signed in February? Surely he voiced his opinion on the need to get true WRs to Auburn?

Not one wr got a scholarship without Gus saying he can see him being successful in his offense

I don't know exactly how raw he is, but just to play the devil's advocate, NM was super raw as a passer. The difference for Nick was his mind. That dude was chilly calm on the field, which I wouldn't expect from a true freshman.

Nick was a better passer in High School than many realize. He was not Deshaun developed as a passer but he was good.. On Woody I will say I am very encouraged that he has shown so much potential after playing QB for only 1 year.

He was pretty raw when he got to Auburn E. He was still pretty raw when he left.

I had no idea Woody has only played for one year. Just his senior season? If so I'd say he is well ahead of the curve as far as development goes. Imagine where he will be in one more year.

Sean White highlights from last year

He has some wheels in the Miss State game. All the drops throughout the year made me cringe

Me too. Craig can recruit, but he sucked as a reciever coach . Drops all year. Seniors dropping passes. There is no excuse for that. Rant over. Sorry guys

Reasonable rant...really hoping Kodi can make a quick improvement...could make our QB situation look much better.

And then you say this is reasonable lol, is there a reasonable qb rant then? And what do you think kodi can do? He has some secret drills no other coaches are privy to? I'll tell you what will help....bringing guys in that can catch...

One of the truer statements ever made on a message board. :cool:

Same here.

"Bringing in guys that can CATCH, SECURE, AND KEEP..." Defenses are getting way too proficient at finagling fumbles, and worse...recovering and scoring themselves.

He was pretty raw when he got to Auburn E. He was still pretty raw when he left.

I had no idea Woody has only played for one year. Just his senior season? If so I'd say he is well ahead of the curve as far as development goes. Imagine where he will be in one more year.

I did not say nor imply Nick was not raw. Just said he was a better passer in high school than he got credit for. I will say he was less raw out of high school than Woody is.

Not one wr got a scholarship without Gus saying he can see him being successful in his offense

Technically yes but CDC got free reign within certain parameters in terms of at least 1 Sammie type, 1 physical type, 1 shifty slot depending on the year, & a jet sweep type.

I did not say nor imply Nick was not raw. Just said he was a better passer in high school than he got credit for. I will say he was less raw out of high school than Woody is.

Right. My point is more or less that a lesser developed passer can have immense success in Gus' system. As for Woody, I haven't watched any full game tape on him, so I don't really have a good idea of how well developed of a passer he actually is. He certainly has the arm strength.

Is it true what you said that Woody only has one year of experience at QB, his senior season?

Technically yes but CDC got free reign within certain parameters in terms of at least 1 Sammie type, 1 physical type, 1 shifty slot depending on the year, & a jet sweep type.

Ok so like my original statement was saying if there is any blame on wr being qb's or whatnot Gus has final say so. If dc brought a wr to his Gus attention that he didn't like then Gus would tell him. I know exactly how recruiting works

Right. My point is more or less that a lesser developed passer can have immense success in Gus' system. As for Woody, I haven't watched any full game tape on him, so I don't really have a good idea of how well developed of a passer he actually is. He certainly has the arm strength.

Is it true what you said that Woody only has one year of experience at QB, his senior season?

Asked this question too. All info I've found on woody has him at QB two seasons.

If its true he was QB only one year then I'm inclined to believe he is a fast learner and that bodes well for him atleast getting a shot this season.

I amended on another post here or in another thread. I was still in recruiting mindset. Senior year was his 2nd year playing QB. He either did not play QB his soph year or football but there are many reports out there that his Junior year was his 1st at QB.

Asked this question too. All info I've found on woody has him at QB two seasons.

If its true he was QB only one year then I'm inclined to believe he is a fast learner and that bodes well for him atleast getting a shot this season.

I replied to you yesterday cruiser. Link

Also Woody showed enough potential after his Jr year that 247, ESPN, & Scout had him a 4* before his Sr season.

I've saw Woody play multiple times last year. He played in one of the toughest football districts in Fl. but he has a lot and I mean a lot to learn about reading defenses and proper footwork for passing. He had a great receiver in Eddie McDoom who he could depend on to make great plays. Woody needs to red shirt a year and lets see what happens after that. On the plus side for Woody is great kid, works hard, very determined, coachable, physically gifted, meaning he has all the tools to be a really good QB. JMO

Archived