Woody Working to Start

Charhair

If Woody doesn't qualify will he still be able to practice with the team?

Sure... the team at whatever junior college or prep school he ends up at instead of Auburn.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure... the team at whatever junior college or prep school he ends up at instead of Auburn.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure about the academic-redshirt thing that was being thrown around on here a while back. So basically if he goes JUCO there's a chance he may never enter AU's football program because other schools will still be recruiting him.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure about the academic-redshirt thing that was being thrown around on here a while back. So basically if he goes JUCO there's a chance he may never enter AU's football program because other schools will still be recruiting him.

I guess that all depends if he doesn't qualify to get into Auburn, or actually gets in but falls below some NCAA standards. I can't honestly say that I know if the NCAA has any standards that are higher than Auburn's basic admission standards.

Basically. Ruins Gus's streak of all qualifiers too.

Every team has question marks at this time of the year. Every team lost players to graduation or left early to NFL. The guys replacing them may be highly rated but until they are the starters playing against other really good players you never know. What do we know about Auburn this year we have two studs in Lawson and Adams on the D-Line we seem to have some other players on D-Line who seem to be ready to step up and we have a lot of depth on the D-Line. We have tremendous amount of talent at DB returning two real studs in Ford and Davis and we think a lot of depth again until they play we don't know. We heard about and saw some solid LB play against our own team. WE don't have much depth at LB but with improved Line play and DB play and a little luck on injury front we have the potential to be a really good Defense. (Potential until we see them play).

On O we have 2 H/backs with a year of experience who have shown ability to Bloc, catch and even run some. We have a very ggod maybe even great every down back in Jovon Robinson, Miller showed that he can pound also, both H-back can pound then we have Roc Thomas and Kerryon who add other dimensions to running game and with Roc to passing game. We have a lot of talent on O-line even though at this point with playing different positions then before it could take some time to gel and we seem to have a couple of really solid backups in case og Injuries. Receivers is a question mark some returing talent and some incoming guys potential is there but who knows.

We seem to be set on special teams.

It comes down to QB. If O-Line gels we will have a solid running game maybe even a great running game if D improves we can rely on D to win a game or two with turnovers and field position along with Carlson kicking. If a couple of receivers show out then a QB that just manages the O and we could be really good. Finally one of the current QB's could have an ah ha type moment.

I am not predicting a great team or a bad team but at this point in time we have the potential to be really good as across the board we have a lot of talent. Like every team every year Chemistry and a couple of bounces either way can make this a great team, an average team or a bad team. As an Auburn fan for many years the one thing I know is we seem to surprise people when we are not supposed to be good.

Every team has question marks at this time of the year. Every team lost players to graduation or left early to NFL. The guys replacing them may be highly rated but until they are the starters playing against other really good players you never know. What do we know about Auburn this year we have two studs in Lawson and Adams on the D-Line we seem to have some other players on D-Line who seem to be ready to step up and we have a lot of depth on the D-Line. We have tremendous amount of talent at DB returning two real studs in Ford and Davis and we think a lot of depth again until they play we don't know. We heard about and saw some solid LB play against our own team. WE don't have much depth at LB but with improved Line play and DB play and a little luck on injury front we have the potential to be a really good Defense. (Potential until we see them play).

On O we have 2 H/backs with a year of experience who have shown ability to Bloc, catch and even run some. We have a very ggod maybe even great every down back in Jovon Robinson, Miller showed that he can pound also, both H-back can pound then we have Roc Thomas and Kerryon who add other dimensions to running game and with Roc to passing game. We have a lot of talent on O-line even though at this point with playing different positions then before it could take some time to gel and we seem to have a couple of really solid backups in case og Injuries. Receivers is a question mark some returing talent and some incoming guys potential is there but who knows.

It comes down to QB. If O-Line gels we will have a solid running game maybe even a great running game if D improves we can rely on D to win a game or two with turnovers and field position along with Carlson kicking. If a couple of receivers show out then a QB that just manages the O and we could be really good. Finally one of the current QB's could have an ah ha type moment.

I am not predicting a great team or a bad team but at this point in time we have the potential to be really good as across the board we have a lot of talent. Like every team every year Chemistry and a couple of bounces either way can make this a great team, an average team or a bad team. As an Auburn fan for many years the one thing I know is we seem to surprise people when we are not supposed to be good.

Agreed. I expect good but not great, with the potential, if certain things fall into place, for greatness.

Very well stated.

While I agree with the overall not great/not bad result, we as fans get sucked in to certain hypes. While Lawson has great talent, it is yet to be seen if he can avoid injury.I hate to label someone injury prone, but it seems that way. Adams has had some flashes, he has not had the consistency to be considered a top notch guy. Take too many plays off. Three years in, I don't see that changing. Good for rotational purposes. Davis seems to be the real deal, but Ford was relegated to the nickel last year. We played a lot of nickel, but he was not a "starter" at the end of the year. Overall though our DB should be good this year. Seen/heard too much hype at LB over the years to believe any of it. Have to see it first.

While I agree with most of the O analysis , but I wouldn't make much out of H backs running the ball. They are there to block. If they are running the ball very much, something is wrong at RB position. But I whole heartily agree that it comes down to QB and that has me worried. I know it was a spring game, but I did not see anything that could make you feel good about any of them.

The problem with not great/not bad result is that it gets your fired.

Auburn quarterback signee Woody Barrett still has some work to do academically, but we’re told the Tigers continue to feel good about his chances of being a full qualifier. — Keith Niebuhr

All is not lost.

If he were to not qualify, would he be able to arrive by next summer at latest? It sounds like he'd need just one season of JUCO. It's very strange, because up to this point, I do not see any JUCO QBs for this recruiting cycle.

If he were to not qualify, would he be able to arrive by next summer at latest? It sounds like he'd need just one season of JUCO. It's very strange, because up to this point, I do not see any JUCO QBs for this recruiting cycle.

If he's close enough to qualifying, he could do one term at prep school and be at Auburn by January. If his grades are such that he has to go the JUCO route it will be a full two seasons before he qualifies to play at any D1 school.

See Jason Smith's career for details. Everybody assumed Smith would be a qualifier, but he not only didn't qualify, he wasn't close enough for the one season at prep school and had to graduate from JUCO before Auburn could take him. It happens.

maybe spent too much time working to start.

LOL...

If he's close enough to qualifying, he could do one term at prep school and be at Auburn by January. If his grades are such that he has to go the JUCO route it will be a full two seasons before he qualifies to play at any D1 school.

See Jason Smith's career for details. Everybody assumed Smith would be a qualifier, but he not only didn't qualify, he wasn't close enough for the one season at prep school and had to graduate from JUCO before Auburn could take him. It happens.

If that's the case, either Sean desperately needs to be "the guy" or we need to find a JUCO guy for next year. If he can go to prep school, that'll give him a full spring with the offense. If he qualifies, even better (obviously).

Jovon went down that same path. But that shows that even if WB does go the juco route, as long as we continue to treat him like a valuable recruit we have a good chance of bringing him right back in

You have to admire Barrett's confidence. He had us convinced he would be at AU in January. Now Fall is questionable. Does anyone know how much actual knowledge College coaches can have about a recruit's academic status? Do they just take the kid's word on it?

You have to admire Barrett's confidence. He had us convinced he would be at AU in January. Now Fall is questionable. Does anyone know how much actual knowledge College coaches can have about a recruit's academic status? Do they just take the kid's word on it?

Normally the prospect and his parents make grades available to the coaches that are recruiting them. However, the coaches cannot foresee the future via a magic crystal ball. If a player seems to be on track to qualify and then busts classes his final term of senior year there isn't much any coach can do.

Normally the prospect and his parents make grades available to the coaches that are recruiting them. However, the coaches cannot foresee the future via a magic crystal ball. If a player seems to be on track to qualify and then busts classes his final term of senior year there isn't much any coach can do.

I don't recall too many qbs excell that didn't qualify out of high school.

Is there any word on his SAT standings? It feels like we have some mysterious QB curse. Obviously White can succeed but we certainly don't want him to be our only option.

The fact that AU signed only one high school QB in last years class and that signee has grade problems is another huge red flag on the Gus Bus. But hey it's only May.

I seem to recall that we recruited several QB's and Barrett was the only one we managed to sign. Sort of like how we recruited over a half-dozen linebackers and ended up signing ONE. I think all the staff turnover at the end of last season hurt us with a number of prospects at various positions.

And all of the speculation about Gus and Lashlee didn't help.

Archived