Woody Working to Start

Charhair

And all of the speculation about Gus and Lashlee didn't help.

i think if we have a good year and create some breathing room for Gus the qb recruiting will pick up. Gotta keep Gatewood and get one in 17. I still think the praise given to JJ too premature hurt us for two years.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that AU signed only one high school QB in last years class and that signee has grade problems is another huge red flag on the Gus Bus. But hey it's only May.

I seem to recall that we recruited several QB's and Barrett was the only one we managed to sign. Sort of like how we recruited over a half-dozen linebackers and ended up signing ONE. I think all the staff turnover at the end of last season hurt us with a number of prospects at various positions.

I think the way the season unfolded with AU ending the season in the Birmingham Bowl + the apple cart turnover of a sizable portion of the coaching staff + Gus/Rhett's job security being in question big time all played a part. There's no way to paint a positive picture of only landing one of the many QBs recruited and only one LB out of half a dozen recruited. And now we find out that the one QB in the final days of his senior year has freaking grade issues?

I don't know about Florida or even other systems in Alabama but my elementary kids finish next Thursday many high school kids finished last week. It has to be be nut cutting time for grades unless it is ACT we are worried about.

The fact that AU signed only one high school QB in last years class and that signee has grade problems is another huge red flag on the Gus Bus. But hey it's only May.

If he doesn't qualify, then we are going to be in a big pickle.

I don't know about Florida or even other systems in Alabama but my elementary kids finish next Thursday many high school kids finished last week. It has to be be nut cutting time for grades unless it is ACT we are worried about.

True - You gotta think most all schools will be wrapped up by the 27th at the latest.

Someone posted earlier that Woody carried a +3.0 GPA, so what's the issue with grades right now? And he's had multiple chances to take and retake the ACT in the last 6 months, if he had issues then why not get ACT test-prep tutoring before each test date? In a high school that large, they have folks in the school that are there to prep their students for ACT testing in each individual section of the test. If a student is weak in the Science portion, then a science/chemistry teacher is there to help students prepare for that section, etc.....

Big pickle? We have 5 QBs!

How many SEC level QB's?

How many SEC level QB's?

<...crickets... tumbleweed rolls... crickets...>

How many SEC level QB's?

<...crickets... tumbleweed rolls... crickets...>

Yeah, heavy sarcasm there directed towards all the people saying we shouldn't have been courting transfers.

How many SEC level QB's?

How many SEC level QB's?

0 last time I checked the roster. Lol. But if were going off potential and not production then two.

So, I have a question regarding Woody. I know this probably is not the correct thread due to all the QB ranting going on, but some have suggested that Woody may have issues qualifying. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just more pessimism?

^It's okay to talk about depth at QB with any quarterback discussion IMO. Gives additional context to how important Barrett's grade situation is. I'd say the consensus so far is "very".

Why, exactly? He is expected to redshirt this coming season anyway and maybe get some backup time in 2017. If he doesn't qualify we have plenty of time to adjust.

^^Is it known about how close he is to qualifying? According to Niebuhr, Auburn officials claimed to feel good about his chances of qualifying. That could just be PR.

True - You gotta think most all schools will be wrapped up by the 27th at the latest.

Someone posted earlier that Woody carried a +3.0 GPA, so what's the issue with grades right now? And he's had multiple chances to take and retake the ACT in the last 6 months, if he had issues then why not get ACT test-prep tutoring before each test date? In a high school that large, they have folks in the school that are there to prep their students for ACT testing in each individual section of the test. If a student is weak in the Science portion, then a science/chemistry teacher is there to help students prepare for that section, etc.....

If it is about his ACT score he should have those results by now. I think the last ACT test was giving around April 9th.

Why, exactly? He is expected to redshirt this coming season anyway and maybe get some backup time in 2017. If he doesn't qualify we have plenty of time to adjust.

I was speaking about 2017. Johnson will be gone. Queen seems to be out for the count. We don't have a 2017 quarterback committed (although, I know we will) and there's no telling what will happen with JF3. Lets say that JF3 starts this season, and does well. Does White stick around for 2017? I wouldn't. I think that's actually a plausible scenario. We would be super thin.

I was speaking about 2017. Johnson will be gone. Queen seems to be out for the count. We don't have a 2017 quarterback committed (although, I know we will) and there's no telling what will happen with JF3. Lets say that JF3 starts this season, and does well. Does White stick around for 2017? I wouldn't. I think that's actually a plausible scenario. We would be super thin.

That's the thing. I really don't understand why people refuse to separate quantity from quality. We have exactly one decent, healthy quarterback on our football team right now. Make that two if Franklin learns more about throwing a ball in one summer than he has in his previous <however many> years of playing football. Jeremy Johnson is not decent, unless he has a dramatic turnaround the likes of which we've not seen before. (Granted, Auburn is the place where things that should not happen do.) Tyler Queen is not healthy. Maybe he will be by fall. We just whiffed on 2 transfers. We're already thin.

What we saw in the bowl game with Memphis is a prelude of things to come in 2016. We beat one of the better teams in the nation and did it convincingly. I think we will see a carry over for 2016 starting with the Clemson game. I think we have a decent chance to win this game. We do this, then anything is possible for this team. Who knows folks; but I think we are in for a treat next season pretty much like the 2013 season.

We beat one of the better teams? You are kidding, right? This was one of the minor bowls between to avg teams. Our QB only three for 150 yds. White had to be replaced after throwing 2 INTs. JJ only threw one pass. Our best pass was from our punter.

So how did that give us confidence going into this year? I need a refresher.

That's the thing. I really don't understand why people refuse to separate quantity from quality. We have exactly one decent, healthy quarterback on our football team right now. Make that two if Franklin learns more about throwing a ball in one summer than he has in his previous <however many> years of playing football. Jeremy Johnson is not decent, unless he has a dramatic turnaround the likes of which we've not seen before. (Granted, Auburn is the place where things that should not happen do.) Tyler Queen is not healthy. Maybe he will be by fall. We just whiffed on 2 transfers. We're already thin.

There are so many that refuse to believe this. This also answers why Gus may be looking for another transfer. The reasons stated above and the one... as you stated: "decent, healthy QB" may have other issues.

We beat one of the better teams? You are kidding, right? This was one of the minor bowls between to avg teams. Our QB only three for 150 yds. White had to be replaced after throwing 2 INTs. JJ only threw one pass. Our best pass was from our punter.

Maybe he means defensively... Paxton was going into the bowl game with everyone saying he was best QB to enter draft. Auburn then destroyed him as his Comp% was worst all year (43.2) and his raw QBR of 14.7 was far and away the worst he had all year (72.3 vs OleMiss).

Also, Auburn was picked to lose the game both by CBS analysts and ESPN. They instead won by 21 points. That's a positive to take into the off season.

Doc4aday is the eternal optimist. He will always see the bright side and think that AU is capable of something "special" on the horizon.

Archived