Malzahn Signs Contract Extension Through 2020

Altima

I have no problem whatsoever with this contract extension. The psychology behind this is easy to read. Recruits look for stability within the program, and this is a vote of confidence from JJ. It all could go south, but I think that we will see an Auburn team more what we saw in 2013.

I would not be surprised if this team goes 11-2 or better for 2016. I hope that this will be the case, and I feel pretty good about our chances.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be an interesting year and I am cautiously optimistic, but for us to be successful, Gus needs to show he can adapt. He seems to be too stubborn and appears to have become predictable in his play calling. My next door neighbor coached under Lovie Smith and John Chavis and stays in touch with both. He attends and works at John's camps. I asked him about Gus's offense and the zone read, and he said basically, defensive coaches have learned how to defend it. He said they let the play develop since it starts 7 yards behind the line and refrain from aggressively attacking it, letting the play come to them. Since it starts so far back, they hold their position on the line, let the play develop, then still have the speed and skill to stop the play for no gain or loss. He spent about 30 minutes diagramming and discussing how they defend different aspects of the zone read. I don't proclaim to know much about the technical aspects of the game, but he sure seemed to make sense to me. So, to end my long story, the point is, I sure hope Gus is as creative as most tout him to be, otherwise, my cautious optimism may turn sour after the first game.

This will be an interesting year and I am cautiously optimistic, but for us to be successful, Gus needs to show he can adapt. He seems to be too stubborn and appears to have become predictable in his play calling. My next door neighbor coached under Lovie Smith and John Chavis and stays in touch with both. He attends and works at John's camps. I asked him about Gus's offense and the zone read, and he said basically, defensive coaches have learned how to defend it. He said they let the play develop since it starts 7 yards behind the line and refrain from aggressively attacking it, letting the play come to them. Since it starts so far back, they hold their position on the line, let the play develop, then still have the speed and skill to stop the play for no gain or loss. He spent about 30 minutes diagramming and discussing how they defend different aspects of the zone read. I don't proclaim to know much about the technical aspects of the game, but he sure seemed to make sense to me. So, to end my long story, the point is, I sure hope Gus is as creative as most tout him to be, otherwise, my cautious optimism may turn sour after the first game.

To be effective, Gus's offense has always relied on blocking which negates the whole "wait for the play to come to them". That's why he puts so much emphasis on it with his running backs and receivers. You don't block, you don't play.

Any offense can be defended, but when it's running how it is supposed to, the zone read is still the hardest to defend because you never know who's coming and by the time you figure it out, there should be a blocker in your face.

To be fair Gus has tourched Chavis's D's on a consisting basis. Still appreciate the info. Interesting.

If Lashlee is such a good OC/QB coach, why hasn't he had a many firm offers from a lot of teams? Heck, he hasn't had many offers from other schools to be a head coach.

If Lashlee is such a good OC/QB coach, why hasn't he had a many firm offers from a lot of teams? Heck, he hasn't had many offers from other schools to be a head coach.

Maybe he posts his resume in the wrong forum :dunno:

you have no information at all regarding who Lashlee has talked to nor do you have any knowledge concerning any offers he may or may not have received. Quit making stuff up that you know nothing about.

Maybe he posts his resume in the wrong forum :dunno:

7MKka.gif

Archived