Malzahn Signs Contract Extension Through 2020

Altima

Signature date of April 1st, 2016...

Contract extended though 2020...

Raise from 4.6 mil to 4.725 mil...

Another 2.5 mil of buyout money, if fired...

Just an fyi...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.al.com/au...art_river_index

Gus Malzahn signs contract extension at Auburn through 2020

Auburn and football coach Gus Malzahn came to terms on a contract extension through the 2020 season.

The school released an updated amendment to Malzahn's contract, which was previously amended on the eve of the 2013 SEC Championship game, on Monday. Malzahn signed the latest contract extension on April 1.

Under the terms of the new agreement, Malzahn will make $4.725 million per year through Dec. 31, 2020.

His previous deal was through Dec. 31, 2019 and had Malzahn earning $4.35 million in 2016, with an increase of $250,000 per year. In 2016 and 2017, Malzahn will earn a combined $500,000 more than he would have under his previous amended contract, but he will earn a combined $500,000 less in 2018 and 2019, making the only real difference the additional year in 2020.

During last week's SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Florida, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said Malzahn would be the Tigers coach for a "long, long time" and said he was the "the right guy for Auburn" moving forward.

"He's a brilliant offensive mind," Jacobs said last week. "Took us to two national championships; once as a coordinator, once as a head coach. There's a bunch of schools in this league that would love to be in our position with a guy like him.

"It's tough league, this league is tough every day. It doesn't matter what year it is, year in, year out, how many years you've been here, whatever it may be, but there's no doubt about that he is the right guy for Auburn."

Terms of Malzahn's buyout, both if he were to leave Auburn or if Auburn were to part ways with him, have not changed.

Malzahn would be owed $2,237,500 per year remaining on his contract if Auburn were to part ways with him.

If Malzahn were to leave Auburn before the end of 2020, he would owe Auburn the total of any outstanding payments owed to his assistants who either don't follow him to a new employer or are not retained by the new coaching staff.

Malzahn is 27-13 overall and 13-11 in the SEC over his three seasons as Auburn head coach.

AL.com will update this story.

Can we merge the threads when a mod has time? TIA

What do you think, E? Seems like posturing to me. Give Gus a little more currency to play with in recruiting? Doesn't seem to be a substantively significant extension.

Almost regardless of what happens in the fall, JJ wants Gus to have enough time to get the program back on track.

You know every rival recruiter has been telling players that Gus won't be back in 2017. This is evidence that the AD believes in Gus. As JJ said in an interview last week, "Gus will be the coach for a long time".

Gus did not lose the team last year when adversity hit, and I don't think he will this year either. And, there's going to be a lot of adversity in the short-term before things get better. But, I believe things will get better.

What has Gus done to deserve a new contract the past couple years when all he has done is regress in the wins column. I'm all for giving coaches their due but this is ridiculous. Could this not have waited another year?

Whatever, brings us some stability. Just win freaking games now. No more excuses.

No warm fuzzies here. The trend on win and program positives is not going up. As with any work performance situation, it is always better if the employee can turn things around. I am hopeful about 2016, but the schedule is tough. The schedule and new recruits seem to set up better for 2017. Gus deserves that much slack, but not a contract extension.

Brandon Marcello

Brandon Marcello‏ @bmarcello

"Auburn made sure to wait to release Gus Malzahn's new contract (signed April 1) 2 hours before its softball team plays for a national title."

What possible reason can there be to give Gus more money? After last year? Hell if anyone deserves more money its the women's softball coach.

What possible reason can there be to give Gus more money? After last year? Hell if anyone deserves more money its the women's softball coach.

He won't be making more money per year, if I read the article correctly.

Kevin Scarbinsky

20m

Kevin Scarbinsky‏ @KevinScarbinsky

With the one-year extension, Auburn's cost to fire Gus Malzahn after the 2016 season goes from $6,712,500 to $8,950,000.

It was a small and ultimately insignificant extension that was done solely so that Gus tell kids he's not on the hotseat. Great move IMO because it gives Gus the currency to sell that and turn the tables on those recruiting against us, and at a discount considering the ludicrous money being thrown around these days. Matter of fact, I believe that the only reason Gus would take this deal is b/c his ass is getting awfully warm. I approve. Gus gets to understand it's go time, and still get to sell his long term solvency to recruits. I bet the softball coach gets a dollar an hour raise real soon too....so....YAY for that.

Archived