Malzahn Signs Contract Extension Through 2020

Altima

Do you think with this contract extension and bigger buyout JJ has sealed his fate with Gus and both will be out if Gus doesn't produce? That's a lot of money to just throw away.

As long as JJ has Gogue in his corner he is safe for now

And as long as student athletes are graduating & the AD is making money overall Gogue is happy regardless of on field performance.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I have to say is... finally. We needed to do this to combat the talk from our rivals and even though we realize that it's technically meaningless, a high school kid is going to see it as a vote of confidence for the staff and it should help to both alleviate concerns and make them question what they are being told by bama, UGA, etc.

yep

Do you think with this contract extension and bigger buyout JJ has sealed his fate with Gus and both will be out if Gus doesn't produce? That's a lot of money to just throw away.

And as long as student athletes are graduating & the AD is making money overall Gogue is happy regardless of on field performance.

^^THIS^^

If the AU AD makes money - graduates student-athletes at a high rate - and stays clean with the NCAA then Jay Jacobs will continue to direct athletics at Auburn. The man is doing his freaking job and the sooner AU fans realize that fact the less irritated they will be.

^^THIS^^

If the AU AD makes money - graduates student-athletes at a high rate - and stays clean with the NCAA then Jay Jacobs will continue to direct athletics at Auburn. The man is doing his freaking job and the sooner AU fans realize that fact the less irritated they will be.

They should also be very happy that the President isn't micromanaging.

Two things we know now:

1- What JJ means by a "long, long time"

2- JJ is not doing this for the recruits....he's doing is for the many "loyal" AU fans who are predicting the demise of Gus before this season even gets under way and to get that off the message board and comments sections of blogs. His message to those loyal fans is....find some other subject to peddle the gloom and doom and let Gus run the football program.

I don't think he is doing it for #2. I think he is doing it for stability sake & to show the coaching & recruiting community he's willing to at least try to shake the "Auburn has a quick trigger" label that we have perceptually.

I think it's a good move. I have made no bones about it that I'm Mizzou on Gus right now.but there is no question he is a great Xs &Os offensive guy & coach. Let's give him more time & see if he can learn to be a good HC overall. If he does then we will have a real good HC.

This is clearly being done for recruiting. Another 2.7m to Gus's contract means nothing to Jay. Gus wins just 7 games this year he is still gone IMO.

The timing of this release should tell everyone how Jay feels about this extension. Release the statement when the least blow back will happen.

Interesting that 7 wins would get him fired considering our schedule is pretty difficult this season. I was think more along the lines of another 6 win season but if that does happen no way JJ should survive again. We certainly need stability so i'll take a good season at the expense of keeping JJ around for a little while longer.

When do we NOT have a difficult schedule? Every year is extremely hard b/c we're in the west and we always play UGA.

When do we NOT have a difficult schedule? Every year is extremely hard b/c we're in the west and we always play UGA.

We don't always open the season with an OoC opponent ranked #2 in the nation.

Two things we know now:

2- JJ is not doing this for the recruits....he's doing is for the many "loyal" AU fans who are predicting the demise of Gus before this season even gets under way and to get that off the message board and comments sections of blogs. His message to those loyal fans is....find some other subject to peddle the gloom and doom and let Gus run the football program.

I don't think he is doing it for #2. I think he is doing it for stability sake & to show the coaching & recruiting community he's willing to at least try to shake the "Auburn has a quick trigger" label that we have perceptually.

I think it's a good move. I have made no bones about it that I'm Mizzou on Gus right now.but there is no question he is a great Xs &Os offensive guy & coach. Let's give him more time & see if he can learn to be a good HC overall. If he does then we will have a real good HC.

This is clearly being done for recruiting. Another 2.7m to Gus's contract means nothing to Jay. Gus wins just 7 games this year he is still gone IMO.

The timing of this release should tell everyone how Jay feels about this extension. Release the statement when the least blow back will happen.

Interesting that 7 wins would get him fired considering our schedule is pretty difficult this season. I was think more along the lines of another 6 win season but if that does happen no way JJ should survive again. We certainly need stability so i'll take a good season at the expense of keeping JJ around for a little while longer.

Of course i'm aware we have a tough schedule almost every year and we play in the toughest conference and division in CFB. It doesn't help we start the first game with a NC contender. I'm speaking in regards to our team issues of having so many unknowns and esp. at the most important position....QB and add the tough schedule. That's all. I just thinking more along the lines with all of those factors that 7 wins would likely save Gus considering he does have JJ in his corner..that's all.

Brandon Marcello

Brandon Marcello‏ @bmarcello

"Auburn made sure to wait to release Gus Malzahn's new contract (signed April 1) 2 hours before its softball team plays for a national title."

Certainly makes you go ummm.

That's asinine. If the deal was signed in April nobody could have known softball was going to be in the finals. Hell they could have been eliminated in regionals.

Was it good timing? Yes. Was it planned? Please.

Our women's softball team is in the world series vs Oklahoma right now...

What's your point? CCM has delivered to JJ on a silver platter.

Point being people see what they consider failings in football and assume the AD must have dirt or naked pics on people in order to keep his job.

Just saying that even if what people perceive as failings in football ARE true, Auburn is still excelling in other areas of athletics.

One would think...

I'm still kinda scratching my head at Jacobs business model...?

Jay Jacobs has a business model?

touché

Point being people see what they consider failings in football and assume the AD must have dirt or naked pics on people in order to keep his job.

Just saying that even if what people perceive as failings in football ARE true, Auburn is still excelling in other areas of athletics.

Yeah but most are undertandably ticked off our men's programs are 13th out of 14 in the SEC. They have every right to feel that is completely unacceptable.

Two things we know now:

I'm not the only person here who has heard this.

At the time the Clemson home-home contract was added to the schedule, the Auburn program was tops in the country and Clemson was an afterthought. What a freaking reversal of fortune! :banghead:

At the time the Clemson home-home contract was added to the schedule, the Auburn program was tops in the country and Clemson was an afterthought. What a freaking reversal of fortune! :banghead:

No kidding. I can still hear the collective yawn- in which I absolutely participated- when this game was announced.

I have heard 7 and 8

I've heard what these guys have since what I hear comes 90% from them.

Let's be real here. The sun sets and rises with football.

Bottom line, the AU Men's sports need to step up and compete like MEN in this conference.

Props to the Lady Tigers for carrying the load this season! :bow:

:'( :'(

Brandon Marcello

Brandon Marcello‏ @bmarcello

"Auburn made sure to wait to release Gus Malzahn's new contract (signed April 1) 2 hours before its softball team plays for a national title."

Certainly makes you go ummm.

That's asinine. If the deal was signed in April nobody could have known softball was going to be in the finals. Hell they could have been eliminated in regionals.

Was it good timing? Yes. Was it planned? Please.

Of course it couldn't have been timed but the way it was down was to limit the possible negative response. It's pretty strategic.

Bottom line, the AU Men's sports need to step up and compete like MEN in this conference.

Props to the Lady Tigers for carrying the load this season! :bow:

It's actually been pretty fun watching them, they have some great players. and are the #1 offense. Auburn girls are also much cuter than opposition, which doesn't hurt :)

Game 2 is tonight.

I have heard 7 and 8

Although I think if we only win 7 Gus will deserve to be fired, I have almost convinced myself that I would rather Gus hang around and keep coaching us at the mediocrity level than have Jay Jacobs hire another head football coach.

wde

Why in Heavens name can't Jacobs wait to see how Auburn does in the upcoming season before he starts handing out raises and adding more years to Gus' contract.

Archived