2017 4* LB Tyler Taylor

ellitor

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

ewwwwwww al.com HARD PASSSSSSSS on that one. 

Yeah well I have Sinor on my twitter AU Recruiting list on the blue moon chance he has an article Rivals & 247 doesn't have. I can read the headlines from twitter without having to dirty myself going to that site often.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new Tyler Taylor-Derrick Brown story 

Let’s rewind to this time last year.

A top target from Lanier High School in Buford, Ga., was in the throws of a decision. Derrick Brown, Georgia’s No. 1 prospect in 2016, drew interest from every school with a defensive line. He narrowed his options to a few SEC contenders. Brown did his official visit diligence.

Then, on National Signing Day, Brown surprisingly committed to the Tigers over home-state Georgia.

Fast forward to the present.

A top target from Lanier High School is in the throws of a decision. Tyler Taylor, the No. 10 inside linebacker in the nation, has narrowed his decision to Auburn and LSU. It isn’t a surprise that Taylor’s recruitment draws the obvious question: What role does Brown play in your decision?

RELATED: Tyler Taylor’s mother breaks down the Auburn-LSU battle

To this point, Taylor has acknowledged the friendship. The two played for the same Lanier High front seven in 2016. Taylor and Brown communicate on a fairly regular basis. Brown gives Taylor his honest opinion on Auburn, the recruiting process and any other noteworthy questions or concerns. When Taylor took his OV last weekend, he spent plenty of time with his good friend and former teammate.

But Taylor hasn’t ever overplayed Brown’s role in his recruitment because, as Brown has advised, Taylor needs to make the decision that is in his own personal interest. It’s generally provided responses like this one on Aug. 5;

“Sometimes, we won’t even talk about football. He’ll just talk to me as a mentor,” Taylor told SEC Country in August. “When we talk about Auburn, I can tell it comes easy to him. He really likes it. Some people try to make it seem like it’s better than what it really is. He gives it to me 100 percent.”

Or this one on Nov. 11:

“The last time I talked to him was when he came down for homecoming. He don’t like to do that type of recruiting stuff. He didn’t like when people tried to tell him where to go and all that,” Taylor said. “He just gives me my space. He understands the process and knows I’m going to make the best choice for me.”

Or this one last weekend after his official visit:

“It was fun. He didn’t really talk about recruiting that much,” Taylor said. “He said he didn’t want to put any pressure on me. He wants me to make the best decision for me.”

But the truth is — as Taylor’s mother revealed earlier in the week — Brown has had a much deeper connection to Taylor’s career path than just his college decision.

Tyler Taylor-Auburn recruiting
Auburn target Tyler Taylor (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

When Taylor was a high school freshman, he left Duluth High School for a new destination that would provide him with a better chance to shine on the football field. Taylor and his mother wanted to remain in Gwinnett County, which would cost Taylor his sophomore year of eligibility, so the duo had to make a calculated decision.

The search took the Taylors to a notable destination.

“As we brainstormed, we did a lot of research on Derrick Brown. We concluded this guy has the potential to be the No. 1 in the state. We watched his film. We did everything. From that, we said that Lanier is going to be our choice for football,” Taylor’s mother, Akita, told SEC Country. “As long as they see Derrick, they’re going to see you, if you do what you’re supposed to do.”

It turned out to be a wise decision. Brown did, in fact, become the No. 1 player in Georgia. Taylor, too, stepped into his own role as an SEC-caliber football prospect. He grew into his 6-foot-2, 230-pound frame and became a versatile linebacker for Lanier. It thrust him up the national rankings — to where he is now at No. 248 nationally.

Taylor now finds himself in the same position as a season ago. Multiple worthy programs are chasing, but only one can win out. Auburn is firmly in the mix.

Akita Taylor knows it isn’t a coincidence.

“It’s interesting that Derrick Brown brought us to Lanier, so they have a very good relationship together. I guess when you look at it like that, it’s almost like, ‘Well, I came to Lanier because of you, and we had a great relationship, and we gambled. It worked out.’ It’s almost like, ‘Hey, why not do the same thing?'” Akita Taylor said. “I really feel like him and Derrick complement each other.”

Taylor’s relationship with his mother was well-documented Wednesday. The Brown connection in Auburn will only help the Tigers as Taylor arrives at his final decision.

Brown is a big reason why.

“Derrick has been there for a year, so I know that would be a person that I could call at any point in time,” Akita Taylor said. “That’s a person I could call his parents at any point in time and say, ‘Hey, tell Derrick this or this’ to help keep Tyler grounded. They have a great relationship.”

Tyler Taylor, from an intel standpoint

Not much has been made available since I spoke with Akita Taylor about the Auburn-LSU battle.

Both coaching staffs were able to take in-home visits Wednesday, which will likely be the last points of contact prior to the eventual decision. Expect the choice to be finalized by end-of-day Thursday. Taylor may choose to hold off on a public announcement, but coaching staffs — at the very minimum — will likely be made aware of his decision at some point Thursday, unless something drastically changes during the Thursday visits.

The fact Auburn and LSU both went in-home Wednesday is just another indicator the decision is on the immediate horizon. This decision could really go either way. Recruits often mention listing pros and cons, real or imaginary, that help them narrow down their choices. Taylor’s lists for Auburn vs. LSU would look a little like this:

Auburn pros: Great relationship with Travis Williams. Closest school to home. Friendship with Derrick Brown. Program that Akita Taylor might consider the best among his options. Auburn cons: Loaded linebacker depth chart. Three committed linebackers already in 2017.

LSU pros: One committed linebacker so far in 2017. Early playing time promises. Linebacker development history of Dave Aranda. Perceived coaching stability under first-year head coach Ed Orgeron. LSU cons: Much farther from home. Heavy communication began late in the process.

To decipher the “right” answer from those two is purely subjective.

You could ask 1,000 recruits Program X or Program Y with those pros and cons and you might see a 500-500 vote split. Hence, the difficulty in Taylor’s decision. Hence, why the terms “grateful” and “overwhelming” — though seemingly contradictory — are regulars in Akita Taylor’s vocabulary.

Auburn-Auburn recruiting-Tyler Taylor
Auburn target Tyler Taylor (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

It should be noted, for those interested in such things, that the first Crystal Ball selection has been placed for LSU. If I had one of those, I’m not sure I’d be willing to place it one way or the other just yet (Yes, I know Taylor’s decision could come at any time.).

Auburn has always been a serious communicator and contender for Taylor. That should help. There’s no doubt Taylor’s relationship with his mother has been a guiding force through his entire life, his recruitment included, so staying closer to her would be an Auburn advantage. The only anti-Auburn claim is guaranteed early playing time, which is a blessing and a curse.

Notably, however, LSU is in the running for two other linebackers. Willie Gay might not decide until National Signing Day, but LSU has been the popular trend lately. But he’s an outside linebacker and would have much less of an effect on Taylor’s decision.

Jacob Phillips is a different story. LSU is attempting to flip the nation’s No. 1 inside linebacker from Oklahoma — coincidentally, a school Taylor recently knocked down a peg on his list. Phillips’ decision is in the “soon” category, but whether that will dictate Taylor’s timeline is unknown.

I’m told LSU would potentially be able to take all three (Gay, Taylor and Phillips), but it’s unknown how that might affect Taylor’s perception of the depth chart. Without the depth-chart edge, Auburn seems to be a no-brainer.

Thanks E I totally understand why this kid is having a hard decision. The Pros and Cons do balance but I hope that we can find a way to win out in the end.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I can read the headlines from twitter without having to dity myself going to that site often.

I thought this was a PG site... :-\

2 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I thought I read Taylor would  be making his decision today. Does anyone know, if he does make his decision today, what time that will be?

I don't think so. Isn't he visiting Texas this weekend?

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I thought I read Taylor would  be making his decision today. Does anyone know, if he does make his decision today, what time that will be?

His mom said he will make it by today if he has made a decision.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I don't think so. Isn't he visiting Texas this weekend?

See Ryan Johnson thread. We only have a few targets on the board and y'all are getting them confused. lol

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

See Ryan Johnson thread. We only have a few targets on the board and y'all are getting them confused. lol

He is ours. I know this in my heart and soul. My late little Belle, the War Damn Corgi forever, has sent me a sign and she feels that he will choose us. You cannot go against the War Damn Corgi!

This will help some. May need Willie Gay to pull the LSU trigger too.

Apparently LSU just flipped the #1 MLB in the country, which can only help us with Taylor's commitment since depth chart is apparently what LSU has been selling him. If you look at our lineup, he could just as easily play early for us as he could for LSU.

Just now, thaitopher said:

Apparently LSU just flipped the #1 MLB in the country, which can only help us with Taylor's commitment since depth chart is apparently what LSU has been selling him. If you look at our lineup, he could just as easily play early for us as he could for LSU.

Look up. lol

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Look up. lol

I saw that. I think your post came in about 4 seconds before mine did. Damn you E. :)  Always stealing my thunder. :) 

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I feel that Coach "O" is going to blow so much gas that he will stink his way out of Baton Rouge within 4 years. Lsu will fall back to pack of mediocrity soon. I will hold myself to the fire in that I feel very confident that Coach "O"s honeymoon will end far too soon than most corndogs think.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I feel that Coach "O" is going to blow so much gas that he will stink his way out of Baton Rouge within 4 years. Lsu will fall back to pack of mediocrity soon. I will hold myself to the fire in that I feel very confident that Coach "O"s honeymoon will end far too soon than most corndogs think.

You are quoting an LSU grad and referring to LSU fans as corndogs lol. No offense taken (my undergraduate degree was from Auburn anyways). Just funny.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Can it be any stinkier than it already is with the corndog smell down there?

10 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

You are quoting an LSU grad and referring to LSU fans as corndogs lol. No offense taken (my undergraduate degree was from Auburn anyways). Just funny.

The LSU fans smell like corndogs story was started by an AU fan.

6 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Hey.....you must have not been around long enough to understand the "corndog" thing with LSU. It is has been around for a good while. This is meant to be a lighthearted thing in that we have names for just about any SEC team. LSU is a nice school with a beautiful campus that is one of the best in the SEC. Sometimes that fans can be very scary if you do not watch where you are. If you sit in an area of regular fans who are well beyond the students in the student section, you have a respectful game if you make the effort. I have had some fun and interesting conversations with them. Being 6'-7" and around 230-250 lbs. I rarely if ever have any opposing teams fans to give me any trouble. I do not go out of my way ever to be confrontational with any fans of any SEC schools. If some fans do attempt to give me a hard time during a game, when I stand up and face them, they realize that they are messing with a dude who is several inches taller than they are and built like an athlete, they generally quieten down, and try to mess with an opposing fan who is smaller than me. Bammer is the worst of the worst teams in the SEC that behave very disrespectful to opposing fans. Enough of this my friend & the best to you!

19 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I saw that. I think your post came in about 4 seconds before mine did. Damn you E. :)  Always stealing my thunder. :) 

giphy.gif

As you know Tyler is the last true LB on our board. We have 3 committed, LSU 2. From the LSU 247 site he is only 1 of at least 4 targets left on their board.

The Tigers are still heavily recruiting others given the need for depth at linebacker, and Tyler Taylor, Willie Gay, K’Lavon Chaisson and Markaviest Bryant are some of the top names still in the mix there.

Hopefully they get Gay & Claisson while we get Tyler & Bryant.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

FTR, I think coach O will do really well and LSU will have a nice resurgence.

Reluctantly agree. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Reluctantly agree. 

Oh I'm not happy about it, but think people are really discounting what is about to happen.  He has two really good coordinators and all the talent in the world. And will lock down more in the next cycle

Archived