Purifoy completely clear to play 2016-17 season

ellitor

Pretty much a transcript from video?

Pretty much. Danjel talked to all the AU reporters al the same 1 time.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, I like how he just flat out said we've got better players coming in. Sometimes the answer is obvious.

What answer?

Ha, I like how he just flat out said we've got better players coming in. Sometimes the answer is obvious.

What answer?

Get better players= win more games.

What answer?

I think we can get bout 20 wins this season. More the next year.

What answer?

Maybe, but prior to last season I would've bet good money that Auburn would win 20 games with the players we had coming back and the schedule we faced in early season games. Predicting the basketball season is even worse than football.

I think we struggle without size. If any big man surprise maybe not, but this team isn't as talented as last year's team that came out for game 1 IMO

What answer?

Maybe, but prior to last season I would've bet good money that Auburn would win 20 games with the players we had coming back and the schedule we faced in early season games. Predicting the basketball season is even worse than football.

You are usually not the bull-ish type. I was hoping 17-18 wins tops last year.

What answer?

You are usually not the bull-ish type. I was hoping 17-18 wins tops last year.

True but I went through the schedule and 20+ and NIT looked easy....was stunned at some of the losses and how they played. Totally "wait and see " this year. :dunno:

I think we struggle without size. If any big man surprise maybe not, but this team isn't as talented as last year's team that came out for game 1 IMO

I agree with this. However, I will remain cautiously optimistic that AU will be better than last year. I was hoping year 3 would be the coming out party under Pearl, but lack of size will hurt a lot.

True but I went through the schedule and 20+ and NIT looked easy....was stunned at some of the losses and how they played. Totally "wait and see " this year. :dunno:

The schedule was not easy by any means, especially compared to schedules before Bruce. Schedule strength last year was 56th in noncon games & overall. That is a good but not great SOS. It's in the top 17% in the nation in terms of toughness. A schedule that good with 20 wins would have gotten AU in the NCAA. 17 would have made the NIT.

I agree with this. However, I will remain cautiously optimistic that AU will be better than last year. I was hoping year 3 would be the coming out party under Pearl, but lack of size will hurt a lot.

Y'all may be right but at season's end barring injuries this team should clearly be better than last year's team that collapsed at the end due to injuries, Canty quitting, playing more guys out of place, & ones that are not as ready to play.

I think our wings got an upgrade. I think our PG situation might be a big hurdle for us this year. I also think our lack of size will be a big hurdle for us. I like our individual players more -- and in theory they should improve with another year, but as a team I'm hoping we win 15-16 games this season. That will be a solid improvement setting us up for a 20 win year the following season.

I think our wings got an upgrade. I think our PG situation might be a big hurdle for us this year. I also think our lack of size will be a big hurdle for us. I like our individual players more -- and in theory they should improve with another year, but as a team I'm hoping we win 15-16 games this season. That will be a solid improvement setting us up for a 20 win year the following season.

Assuming Danjel & Heron return next season which is not a given.

The schedule was not easy by any means, especially compared to schedules before Bruce. Schedule strength last year was 56th in noncon games & overall. That is a good but not great SOS. It's in the top 17% in the nation in terms of toughness. A schedule that good with 20 wins would have gotten AU in the NCAA. 17 would have made the NIT.

Perhaps, but we had the worst home court record in the conference and did not take advantage of the few chances that we had to win against other bottom dwellers. Losing to Harvard and Hawaii sent some bad signals early in the season … Just my opinion.

When you play some serious 00C opponents, you can't fail to take advantage of the opportunities to win.

Right now, it's hard to see any opportunity to do better than we did last year.

Right, I meant to add that bit in there

I don't think heron can jump to the NBA after just year one and based off of his measurables. He still doesn't have an NBA shot, he's basically a relentless rim attacker and I don't know that he can get away with that small arsenal in the pros.

Herron isn't close to being NBA radar yet. There were only around 5 guys like that. Tatum, giles, Smith Jr., Fox, and who I think is the best out of the group Jackson

I don't think heron can jump to the NBA after just year one and based off of his measurables. He still doesn't have an NBA shot, he's basically a relentless rim attacker and I don't know that he can get away with that small arsenal in the pros.

I agree. Just pointing out it's a possibility.

I agree. Just pointing out it's a possibility.

It's always a possibility. Every year there are people that leave before they probably should.

I believe that Heron has made it clear in interviews that he has no intentions of being a one and done type player, but of course there is always the possibility,however slight it may be.

I think we will be better than last year because of overall depth.  Remember Villanova won it all without having a lot of size. I am not comparing Auburn to Villanova just saying that size alone is not a reason to think we won't be good.  LaRon Smith is 6'8" with a 7'2" Wingspan, Spencer has another years experience and is a Rim protector and McLemore has been impressing coach with his defense and Shot blocking. We have a very solid Transfer PG Ronnie Johnson and a solid Freshman PG Harper this year then add Purifoy and Heron to other Players coming back and we will have a lot of talent to put on the floor.

Pearl likes to press last year with the lack of depth he could only press on defense a little as he had no subs. This year we have 10-11 Players that could easily fit in the rotation without significant drop off in talent. Spencer, Smith, McLemore, Purifoy,  Dunans, Heron, Lang, Harper, Johnson, Brown and maybe Williams who has reported that his knees are finally healthy. The ability to press relentlessly helps with the size issue and also leads to easy baskets. The size issue is also a two edged sword it is hard for the big guys to come out and cover somebody like Purifoy, Heron, and Dunans.  

I predict we make NIT and have a shot at NCAA Tournament.

Villianova's big man also did things that our big men hasn't ever done. Also before you can say big men can't guard them on offense they need to show they can handle the ball and cause a mismatch. Because if you're just a spot up shooter a big man can actually guard you quite easy

On 7/7/2016 at 9:03 PM, cole256 said:

Villianova's big man also did things that our big men hasn't ever done. Also before you can say big men can't guard them on offense they need to show they can handle the ball and cause a mismatch. Because if you're just a spot up shooter a big man can actually guard you quite easy

I don't disagree with you in the scenario you talk about there is no mismatch in our favor I am basing my mismatch on what I have read about Purifoy if he has to play 4. All last year we were told that he has all the skills and will be a monster.  If true then we have a mismatch when we are on O  if it was wishful thinking other team will have the only mismatch. Pearl was one of the ones talking about him so I believe he will be awfully good.   

I totally conceded the point about Villanova big man. At this time we have no known equal.

I am hoping for 18-20 wins this year. My biggest concern in the lack of a true center. If Purifoy is indeed 6' 8" now with 30 more pounds of muscle, then we do have several PF who might can do the job.

15 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I am hoping for 18-20 wins this year. My biggest concern in the lack of a true center. If Purifoy is indeed 6' 8" now with 30 more pounds of muscle, then we do have several PF who might can do the job.

Leron's 7'8 wingspan makes him a possible good option defensively at Center.

Archived